There are 2 plastic tent lean to's (homes) in my neighborhood. Is this normal?

cubism001

One is in a park; it's quite a tourist attraction. The squatters keep adding on to it. Now there's a microwave, table & chairs. They throw drunken parties until 2-3 am. A local hotel owns the property.

The other is on the main road. The house is entirely of plastic & old signs (like in the US). Leanto is surrounded by a motorcycle, bicycle, piles of clothes &  1/8 acre of weeds. Old buckets, you name it.  But maybe CM's become Westernized that way... Is your part of town different?  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

The house is entirely of plastic & old signs (like in the US). Leanto is surrounded by a motorcycle, bicycle, piles of clothes &  1/8 acre of weeds. Old buckets, you name it. 

Just before she disappeared, the mother-in-law did say she was going back home to settle...

• Like 1

Hard to believe...But then again, last time I saw Denver the population seemed to all be homeless.

Is any part of CM free of encampments?  (Sorry to sound calloused/heartless.) They really are loud.  I get up at 5 am to write then publish...and they're screaming & throwing things at 2:30. My nice, cheap place looks straight into theirs.

Seen loads of shanties/leantos around CM. Guess op isn't that observent. Most obvious is the huts on the way up to the back of the zoo. Also around the back of the 'long park' (Kanchanaphisek Park) across from the moat corner exercise park. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Seen loads of shanties/leantos around CM. Guess op isn't that observent. Most obvious is the huts on the way up to the back of the zoo. Also around the back of the 'long park' (Kanchanaphisek Park) across from the moat corner exercise park. 

Never noticed and I’m curious to see, we’ll go take a look tomorrow before we head back to the farm 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Hard to believe...But then again, last time I saw Denver the population seemed to all be homeless.

Is any part of CM free of encampments?  (Sorry to sound calloused/heartless.) They really are loud.  I get up at 5 am to write then publish...and they're screaming & throwing things at 2:30. My nice, cheap place looks straight into theirs.

You need to move upmarket then, no? After all, forum rookies have more going for them than forum newbies.

4 hours ago, sherwood said:

Down town Perth, more poor people everywhere.

I have to add most of them are not really poor but cannot afford the rent. The average rent in Perth is $565 per week, saying that, I am quite lucky I just pay $240 per week and had no rent increase for 7 years and I live on a pension. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cubism001 said:

have u lived in CM long--been around--why would you ask if there is "any part of CM free of encapments?"  where do you suggest the homeless go?

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Went up back behind the zoo this morning, couldn’t see anything like what you described also went up past the zoo looked everywhere and around just seen fruit vender shacks along Huey keaw was the only thing that resembled what you described.. They either moved or I’m blind.

Went over to kanchanaphisek and seen a trashy dwelling, didn’t look homeless, just a very trashy place on the south side of the park…3F730379-FF3D-4741-9209-AD411C6F24AA.thumb.jpeg.d2bc068b27e9dfe1a26105d3d5ae41a7.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, cubism001 said:

????????????  OK, not really funny, as some are there from unexpected circumstance beyond their control.   But with some of the rents my brother has quoted back at that foreign land I used to live, USA, it is mind boggling how some can afford to rent.

Use to be 25% of income for rent, now it seems 50-75% is needed, with the rest toward utilities & petrol to get to your rut.   Don't want to be on that hamster wheel.

If returning to states, think I'd go upscale on the RV instead of buying a house & paying RE Taxes, and simply live in National Parks or park close by, since free for us ol' folks.   Not sure what charges would be for plugging in.   All solar'd up, even a nice van conversion would work.  Use free showers.

Edited by KhunLA

I’ve seen a couple stragglers solo homeless drunks in the mornings at Chang phueak gate by the food stalls and  by CM gate as well. But never seen an encampment anywhere. What you folks are seeing is probably makeshift drinking party places or a hut food shack? There are vendors at worarot market and they sleep and play with their phones laying down waiting for a customer - does that mean that they are homeless?

The one in the park is built of plastic sheets but also has a microwave & tables & now is used as a party shack w occasional sleepers. The other one might be somebody owns it. House is entirely plastic & garbage & a guy definitely lives there. as for the CMU area behind the zoo etc. I used to go by there & it's out of the way for many. Why does that make me unobservant? & somebody just went by there (pls read the posts)

Back to the topic.  I asked if anybody had seen lean-tos like I'd described.  Somehow that became an attack against daring to say 'homeless'.  BTW, who are people, you think, who don't look like they ever bathe or change clothes and sleep in vacant store fronts.  Maybe they're casually waiting for customers?

On 3/12/2023 at 7:40 AM, cubism001 said:

The house is entirely of plastic & old signs (like in the US). Leanto is surrounded by a motorcycle, bicycle, piles of clothes &  1/8 acre of weeds.

Sounds like 90% of the 'houses' in Isaan.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:21 AM, SammyJ said:

have u lived in CM long--been around--why would you ask if there is "any part of CM free of encapments?"  where do you suggest the homeless go?

I thought this was somewhere that people speak openly.  FYI, homeless encampments are loud & dirty, & I've lived here for years. This isn't a heartless reaction & not an uncommon one (do you get around in other countries/read?) I've had it with you closed-minded folks.  Enjoy the party.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:33 PM, NanLaew said:

You need to move upmarket then, no? After all, forum rookies have more going for them than forum newbies.

"You need.." is a complete non sequitur.  Not worth reading what you try to say.  But I"m curious: does belonging to a free group grant you a Ph.D?  Or clairvoyance so you can be rude?

On 3/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, cubism001 said:

saw Denver the population seemed to all be homeless.

Must be tough in the winter, of course.   I wonder if feel warmer when you are high.   Also wonder how many from California.  This is another reason to avoid the city if not homeless, and go to a city if homeless.   Hawaii seems like an obvious choice, but might take a year to beg to get a one-way ticket.  still worth it, despite how expensive it is.  just guessing.