Confused re 45 day VOE

What is the meaning of keeping posting messages saying : "I have been asked for my outbound flight (or visa)" or "I haven't been asked for my outbound flight" ?
By now, from dozens and dozens of direct experiences reported on the forum, it is clear that the exit flight sometimes can be requested, and sometimes not requested.   

It means that he airline "may" ask it.

At this point everyone has been warned, then everyone takes their own risks and decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always fly into Thailand on a one way ticket or the return half of a round trip and have been asked about my return/onward ticket for 9 out of 10 of my flights in the past 12 months. The flights have been on different full service and discount carriers in different countries. About 1/3 were business class. The one time I wasn't asked was a Scoot flight from Singapore. 

I have a re-entry permit, show that to the agent, and I'm fine. But as others have suggested, https://onwardticket.com/ solves the issue.  

• Like 1

Just so I understand - The airline will normally only be looking for exit flight out of Thailand when flying into Thailand on a Visa Exempt, but if you have a single or multiple entry Tourist Visa then the airline is unlikely to require a flight ticket within 60 days - Is this correct?

9 minutes ago, spambot said:

Just so I understand - The airline will normally only be looking for exit flight out of Thailand when flying into Thailand on a Visa Exempt, but if you have a single or multiple entry Tourist Visa then the airline is unlikely to require a flight ticket within 60 days - Is this correct?

Correct.

If you have a visa or reentry permit the airline will not ask to see onward flight.

It is visa exempt requirement.

There can always be weird exceptions.

I once flew X Melbourne to Saigon. 

My visa for Vietnam only had 5 days remaining.

The Jetstar clerk made me show flight out of Vietnam.

No problem as I had one Saigon to Bangkok couple of days later. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

If you have a visa or reentry permit the airline will not ask to see onward flight.

It is visa exempt requirement.

There can always be weird exceptions.

I once flew X Melbourne to Saigon. 

My visa for Vietnam only had 5 days remaining.

The Jetstar clerk made me show flight out of Vietnam.

No problem as I had one Saigon to Bangkok couple of days later. 

Brilliant Response - Your answer gives me everything I needed - Thanks

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:42 AM, steven100 said:

Your info is wrong .... they won't except that,  they want to see an onward ticket before boarding.

What I did years ago (America) was booked the round trip, came and did 2 30 day extentions, but within the first 30 days, for $200 charge, moved the return flight up to the date that was 90 days after flight to Th. On the 4 trip, to stay in country on retirement stamp, I notified the airlines that I wanted to open extend the return trip. For $200. they gave me a 1 yr extension.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:57 PM, Langsuan Man said:

JAL, (Delta code share) from the US would not issue me a boarding pass until I showed a  onward reservation out of Thailand within my 45 days  Visa Exempt entry on the first of November 2022

From the US, I have been always asked!

I have just arrived back in Phuket on the 45 day exemption flying from Manchester UK with Etihad/Abu-Dhabi-Phuket. Im doing my first retirement visa based on age this time around and booked a 6 month return ticket (as need to attend to business in UK later in yr) after getting good advice in an earlier thread (Thanks Dr Jack & Co) I used 'Onward Ticket.com' to book an out flight on day 43 for a grand cost of $14 (£12.74) this was a Singapore flght Phuket/S'Pore to KL

For peace of mind...

I was asked at Etihad check-in at Manchester airport what status I had as my flights were 6 mth return, I explained I had a flight out as above, that was it they never asked to see my out ticket which I had on my mobile app and a paper copy. This ticket is valid 48 hrs then is cancelled automatically... I paid by ppal on my mobile, took 2 mins to do and then had the ticket emailed to me in pdf, also has a legit PNR number, its a real ticket booking not false. Will use this again if ever need too, hope may help others. At Phuket immigration young lady IMO did ask when my return flight was and again I told her flying out on day 43 to KL, no issues I was stamped in on the 45 day exemption with a big smile and have a nice stay

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, DrJack54 said:

Who accepted. The airline at departure? Who questioned you.

Good for you that onward flight was not required by airline.

Guessing that was long haul flight 

If departing from nearby countries to Thailand such as Vietnam, Cambodia etc you will absolutely require onward flight flying without visa or reentry permit. 

There is a risk with long haul flights as well. I've been asked 2 or 3 times in the past to show an onward reservation when checking in at different airports in Europe (never tried from the UK - saying this as many here are Brits, it seems). Luckily, every time, I actually had one such reservation ready at hand.