Govt Urges Companies to Allow Work From Home

snoop1130

09b2319a3f660afb8c946f36646fdcea_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has urged companies to consider allowing their employees to work from home in response to a recent drop in air quality, which has affected as many as 1.4 million people.

According to Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, an operations center has been established to monitor air quality nationwide. The public is also encouraged to protect against PM 2.5 and pollutants by remaining indoors or wearing masks when outside.

Minister Anutin noted that private sector employees working from home will mean fewer vehicles on the road and reduced emissions and air pollution. He also announced the launch of electric buses in the capital to help improve overall air quality.

According to the Bangkok Medical Service Department, from January 1 to March 10, over 31,000 people sought medical assistance for problems that were exacerbated by poor air quality. These included chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, eczema, stroke, and conjunctivitis or pink eye. Other reported conditions included pneumonia, bronchitis, pharyngitis, nasal cryotherapy, asthma, influenza, ischemic heart disease and lung cancer.

According to the Air Quality and Noise Management Division Bangkok, PM2.5 levels are predicted to continue rising until March 20. However, starting March 16, a southerly wind is forecast to prevail over Bangkok and its neighboring regions, providing much-needed relief and improving the smog situation.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230314135107877

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-03-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

I'm a farmer.   Working from home would be great!!!!   I'll bring my livestock into the kitchen and send some texts to my rice fields!!!!!

My other job is at 711.   Home for the win.  

My wife is a massage worker in Pattaya, and she's always online doing something with her door locked!!!!  I'm not a VIP member.

I'd like to be a mechanic and astronaut and work on my laptop!!!!

This is Thailand....................nobody works from home, it's street food time!!!!

• Haha 1

Traffic is no worse in Bangkok than normal, its compounded every year as this time by seasonal burning.. Placing of way too many factories close to the Capital  also hasnt helped .. at all.

The majority of smoke pollution is coming from Myanmar & Laos affecting Chiang Mai and  Cambodia mostly affecting Bangkok  from burning as usual every year . Just have to look at the infrared maps to see that. The winds naturally carry it into the gulf and Thailand. 

Bit of diplomacy with ASIAN neighbours might be a good idea. If Thailand has to compensate with funds so the farmers can afford machinery, disposal & fertiliser .. which is what burning saves them the cost of.. so be it..

No one wants to work at home, cultures way too social and should remain so. 

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Public Health has urged companies to consider allowing their employees to work from home in response to a recent drop in air quality, which has affected as many as 1.4 million people.

According to Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, an operations center has been established to monitor air quality nationwide. The public is also encouraged to protect against PM 2.5 and pollutants by remaining indoors or wearing masks when outside...

Hooray, the government is doing something about air pollution, for example monitor air quality. No news, though, about illegal polluters being taken to court and fined or sent to prison.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

These included chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, eczema, stroke, and conjunctivitis or pink eye. Other reported conditions included pneumonia, bronchitis, pharyngitis, nasal cryotherapy, asthma, influenza, ischemic heart disease and lung cancer.

Yet nothing is done; nothing has been done (in my 20 years here) and nothing will be done except have meetings.

I read yesterday that the administration in my neck of the woods created a four point plan to deal with PM2.5 levels. Apparently, when it's below 50 somebody watches carefully, from 50 to 70 somebody does something, from 71 to 90 somebody else joins the watching and if it gets over 100, they have a meeting! And this was actually published in the papers.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Public Health has urged companies to consider allowing their employees to work from home in response to a recent drop in air quality, which has affected as many as 1.4 million people.

1.4 million affected, yet only 148 have recently sought help from local health services?

21 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

makes you wonder what it takes to get people to stand up. 

From my experience in Thailand a free handout on the street corner usually works.

Otherwise nothing.