The beauty of using an agent.

2 hours ago, CH1961 said:

If your agent is using the same scans every year, you are in trouble, sooner or later, but for sure.

But you are right, to use an agent for the extension of stay, one time a year, is s good solution for all those who don't get anything else in their lives right. 

Or are disabled. 

I use a well regarded and well known legit agent and have done for ten or fifteen years. The agent already has scanned copies of our wedding certificate, channotes, passports, ID cards etc etc, none of that stuff every changes and is needed every year. None of that is indicative of there ever being a problem, why would it. I do have to produce an updated copy of my fixed deposit account every year, along with a new bank letter, without those two things I wouldn't get my extension.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I had been doing the online thing, but my last renewal was supposed to be have to be in person as I was over 60 or whatnot. But because of covid, I never actually had to go I got to renew online again, but it ended up a GF anyway and I had to call a half-dozen times to get it done. 

Next time we go I have to try to get my boy his first CA license, that should be fun...

my CA, (in 2022) had to be done in person as over the age for online renewal, but they waived that cause of covid,
so now good till 2026

17 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I have good friends who ALWAYS use an agent (cost ~ 10,000 baht/year) , and it goes smooth like you describe.

Myself?  I tend to suffer through immigration, but then later celebrate with the 10,000 Thai baht I saved each year.  That can buy some fabulous dinners.  My friends just laugh and prefer to spend the money. 

I figure we both have good points for our different views.

I am now applying for an LTR (Wealthy Pensioner) Visa, where all the paperwork submission is from the comfort of my beach front condo, where I can sip some wine (or drink a beer) on the balcony, overlooking the sea, and submit to BoI the scanned PDF files of needed documents with my laptop.

No agent needed, and (if LTR approved) the 50,000 Thai baht fee for the entire 10 years, will be 1/2 the summation equivalent of 10-years for an agent every year.   My friends view? They are in their mid-to-late-70s and who is to say they will even live another 10 years to justify paying 50,000 THB up front for an LTR (Wealthy pensioner) ?  So they pay 10,000 every year instead for an agent.  That makes sense to me.

Each approach has its advantages.

I feel lucky just to have the choice. 

Best wishes for your approach - as i can fully appreciate its advantage (of not spending time in immigration, which dependent on date/time can amount to hours in a crowded place).

LTR aside, as this is not an available option for most, what about the 25000+ THB you lose in a typically non interest bearing THB bank account where you stashed your ever depreciating 800/400k cash which you can't even touch?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

If ever I get to the point where it appears I might enjoy having a day at Immigration, kill me, don't ask questions or wait, just do it.

At CW, and Sathorn previously, I've always been in and out before 12pm. It's only once a year, and hassle free if paperwork is in good order.

8 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

I only live 10 mins away from CW.

I get my queue number, see how many are before me, judge how long I will have to wait, then, go for a nice stroll around the air conditioned location doing some people watching or have a meal.

Enjoy a nice and pleasant stroll around the shops and stalls not having to worry about potholes, wonky pavements or getting my eyes poked out by broken stall umbrellas. Or I may buy a snack and a drink and watch and sit outside and observe through the window all the queue watchers crowded together looking at the digital sign board for their number to be called.

When my number is up, mosey on in, blast the IO with my presence, get my stamp and head for home cruising on my Clickster.

Just another stressless day in paradise.

????  

And now that you can scan the queue ticket and check position online there's no need go back and check now and then. 

• Like 1

You wrote.

"Signed copies aren't even needed this year.

PDF scans of all documents are all that's required."

Is that Immigration policy or just your agent, I've not seen anything official to confirm that sentences, do you have any links to verification locations.

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

You wrote.

"Signed copies aren't even needed this year.

PDF scans of all documents are all that's required."

Is that Immigration policy or just your agent, I've not seen anything official to confirm that sentences, do you have any links to verification locations.

Several documents don't change, year on year, once scanned there is no need to give the agent new copies because they can simply print off the ones they have.

18 hours ago, Celsius said:

So when you make a police report about your "lost" passport and give it to your embassy they have every right to refuse issuing you a new one.

And maybe you despised the kid in your class who told the teacher, "The dog ate my homework."

The police report doesn't need to be factual or even remotely close to the truth. This IS Thailand we're talking about.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And maybe you despised the kid in your class who told the teacher, "The dog ate my homework."

The police report doesn't need to be factual or even remotely close to the truth. This IS Thailand we're talking about.

Even though most probably did not despise the kid in class who told the teacher, "The dog at my homework", we all knew they were liars.

49 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Several documents don't change, year on year, once scanned there is no need to give the agent new copies because they can simply print off the ones they have.

So this only affects people who use an agent, or maybe a single agent.

The original post doesn't make that clear, so no changes to paperwork required for a personal visit to Immigration, thought I might have an opportunity to cut down the paperchase. 

1 hour ago, bobandyson said:

I only live 10 mins away from CW.

I get my queue number, see how many are before me, judge how long I will have to wait, then, go for a nice stroll around the air conditioned location doing some people watching or have a meal.

Enjoy a nice and pleasant stroll around the shops and stalls not having to worry about potholes, wonky pavements or getting my eyes poked out by broken stall umbrellas. Or I may buy a snack and a drink and watch and sit outside and observe through the window all the queue watchers crowded together looking at the digital sign board for their number to be called.

When my number is up, mosey on in, blast the IO with my presence, get my stamp and head for home cruising on my Clickster.

Just another stressless day in paradise.

????  

I think definitely a case of YMMV

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Those of us who pay an agent 12,500 for an extension of stay are small fry, its classed as business as usual and no way will this come into the same category

CW seems to have tightened up on a lot of things.

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm happy for you.

Previously, at various points during retirement visa extensions, over the past 25 years, I have:

Been told to go home and return with a copy of my lease in order to prove where I lived. This was before proving your address was a standard feature and was almost unheard of at visa extension time. I lived over 50 miles away at the time.

In Phuket, instructed to obtain a bank letter dated the same day when my bank was HSBC in Bangkok. This involved flying up, staying overnight, collecting the letter first thing the next day and taking the first flight back to Phuket. The Immi officer didn't even glance at the letter and left it in the envelope.

Been asked to go out back and make additional copies of so many different documents that it became seriously unfunny. As soon as one copy was brought back, another was requested. Year after year for several years.

Spent several hours teaching the Immi. officer basic accounting. My UOB bank book of fixed deposits, each page containing a different deposit, totaled far more than the 800k that was required, some matured some still open. The bank letter confirmed only the 800k so the question was, what was the remining money and how much did it total? Not any of your business you might say but she insisted on a reconciliation of the amounts. No dear, you can't count that one because it has matured, I said. Well why is it still in the book, she said and where did the money go! 

Again in Phuket, the officer demanded I produce bank statements covering one full year of transactions to demonstrate my living expenses, even though I had over 10 mill. in fixed deposits.

When the need arose for us to queue in the parking lot at 4 am, in order to get a queue number, I said enough is enough and decided that from then on. a visa agent was the way to go. History has proved me right.

Last time I attempted a "straight" renewal of extension it went something like this:

I had a bookless UOB deposit account opened in Ban Chang. The requisite 800k was in there. I got a letter and statements printed out confirming same from UOB in Chantaburi. IO in Laem Ngop refuse. They service Trad and Koh Chang. The deputy manager of the UOB branch drives down from Chantaburi, 200km round trip. IO don't want to know. I'm sent back to Ban Chang, maybe 600km round trip, to close deposit and open book account. Return a day later. Job done. Never EVER again will I let these axxxholes fxxx me about like that. Years later same office came to my small island and fined me 1600 for no TM30. Of course, YMMV.

• Haha 2