The beauty of using an agent.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Agents are good here an all around win for everyone. 

Make sure if you use one to get the proper immigration receipts showing that you paid for the extension, multiple entry, etc.

And how do you 'make sure'? You know, if the agent doesn't come up with them?

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Stiffing the hospitals for millions of baht.

Not only Government hospitals but their Thai wives too. Three guys in our locality recently died of alcoholic poisoning having spent whatever savings they ever had. They did, however, apologise to their wives for not leaving any money for their funerals.

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Not only Government hospitals but their Thai wives too. Three guys in our locality recently died of alcoholic poisoning having spent whatever savings they ever had. They did, however, apologise to their wives for not leaving any money for their funerals.

Downsize the house...............????

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Not only Government hospitals but their Thai wives too. Three guys in our locality recently died of alcoholic poisoning having spent whatever savings they ever had.

Your point?

This only occurs in Thailand?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

It's not the application time, but the 800/400k requirement.

If you do the monthly transfer of 65k, then every satang can be spent on whatever you want.

My IO accepts the Combination of Bht 40,000 per month = Bht 480k per year, plus Bht 320 in the bank, totalling Bht 800k per year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your point?

This only occurs in Thailand?

Not at all. Following on from foreigners who HAVE to use agents due to lack of funds and almost certainly won't have made any provision for their healthcare. Being unable to pay for your funeral caused by your own over indulgence absolutely takes the biscuit in my view. Time for some compulsory healthcare scheme and/or deposits prior to allowing admittance.   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

It's not the application time, but the 800/400k requirement. I want that money available 365 days a year. Can anyone explain the rationale behind it? When it came in? Whose idea it was?

The money is available in the event of an emergency. You can draw it out anytime, it may cause a problem with your visa down the line, but if that happens, you can always use an agent.

A few years ago, to qualify there were people overstating their income, and swearing such to get "income letters" from their consulates. Immigration tried unsuccessfully to get the consulates to actually certify the incomes, and the consulates largely refused, leaving Thai Immigration to have to certify incomes on their own.

Legally, you now have to either show actual income, or maintain a balance in a Thai bank account. If you have the minimum required income, you do not need to maintain the balance.

The 800/400 is actually an easy way for people to maintain their visa without having to show income. It is an option provided by immigration to HELP people qualify that otherwise would not. 

You do not have to deposit money with immigration, and immigration does not control your account. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If you do the monthly transfer of 65k, then every satang can be spent on whatever you want.

Very good point thanks! Makes sense to convert this amount each month. Until now I've been using my UK debit card where possible as it earns 1% cash back. More beneficial to do things as you suggest.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Very good point thanks! Makes sense to convert this amount each month. Until now I've been using my UK debit card where possible as it earns 1% cash back. More beneficial to do things as you suggest.  

How much is your monthly health insurance with all the things wrong with your noted......?  :cowboy:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

How much is your monthly health insurance with all the things wrong with your noted......?  :cowboy:

Got a quote for $6,500 USD per annum some years ago. Then I realised I'd have to disclose receiving treatment for raised blood pressure during the mid eighties. Since then had an unexplained collapse due to low blood glucose for which received A/E treatment (in Thailand). So no health insurance plan for me. Mrs has taken a life insurance plan out on me to cover funeral costs! 

• Haha 1

Got a quote for $6,500 USD per annum some years ago. Then I realised I'd have to disclose receiving treatment for raised blood pressure during the mid eighties. Since then had an unexplained collapse due to low blood glucose for which received A/E treatment (in Thailand). So no health insurance plan for me. Mrs has taken a life insurance plan out on me to cover funeral costs! 

Hmmmm, but you wanted farangy's to have a health plan/vetted to reside in LOS......

How come you are exempt from your own recommendation......?............????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Damn, that's cold.  Nothing like love .. ❤️

• Love It 1

Hmmmm, but you wanted farangy's to have a health plan/vetted to reside in LOS......

How come you are exempt from your own recommendation......?............????

I intended to take out a healthcare plan. My collapse came shortly after entering Thailand. I would, of course, be ready, willing and able to furnish a cash security deposit against any future medical treatment. Anyone (including myself) unable to do either is an accident/illness waiting to happen and likely to leave unpaid bills behind them.

I intended to take out a healthcare plan. My collapse came shortly after entering Thailand. I would, of course, be ready, willing and able to furnish a cash security deposit against any future medical treatment. Anyone (including myself) unable to do either is an accident/illness waiting to happen and likely to leave unpaid bills behind them.

So you think we are all in your financial position, your explanation smacks of "I'm alright Jack"......:whistling:

• Like 2

So you think we are all in your financial position, your explanation smacks of "I'm alright Jack"......:whistling:

If I was broke I would head back to UK for the free healthcare. Alternatively, remain in Thailand and hope it never happens?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If I was broke I would head back to UK for the free healthcare. Alternatively, remain in Thailand and hope it never happens?  

And according to you, you want to be checked for healthcare insurance on your return....................:whistling:

Well, in your case, there will always be Scunthorpe.............:intheclub:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:
5 hours ago, bradiston said:

It's not the application time, but the 800/400k requirement. I want that money available 365 days a year. Can anyone explain the rationale behind it? When it came in? Whose idea it was?

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You can thank your fellow skint expats, who live here irresponsibly, with no health insurance or oops fund.   Stiffing the hospitals for millions of baht.

And the only way they can do that .... IS USE AGENTS.

We thank them for screwing the rest of us, who follow the rules, and now extensions are scrutinized, which TBH, I actually like.   But it was nice when they/IOs were friendlier and didn't have to process 100+ pages, and things sped along.

There's sure to be some truth in what you say @KhunLA but it's not the whole story. This draconian measure was introduced by Big Joke during his brief reign as head of Immigration. He was after the corrupt collusion between the agents and IMM staff. The agents would lend the 'skink expats' the 800K THB so that they could show IMM that they had the necessary capital. That is not possible under this new ruling.

But the game hasn't stopped so they've obviously found a workaround, which probably means more corruption instead of less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

If you have to attend for a deskcam photo anyway then you can get away with the IO VIP service (tip to IO only, no agent involved assuming you have the funds). 

Not all IOs offer this. 

In fact most do not. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:49 PM, Elkski said:

I could think of a few ways to enjoy 10k for 4-5 hours of my morning at immagration. 

50527BCB-477C-474D-9EC2-B0818D89210B.png.778be34b186add019711ca3ea2954759.png

I pay an agent 8,000b to do my annual extension for me (I keep the 800k in the bank), so at 4-5 hours that’s 2,000-1,600 ph… 1 time per year which is worth it to me, but maybe not to others

To each his own 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And maybe you despised the kid in your class who told the teacher, "The dog ate my homework."

The police report doesn't need to be factual or even remotely close to the truth. This IS Thailand we're talking about.

You said it not me. Even more the reason not to give some dolt agent my passport. Maybe you like your identity stolen - not me.

With your completely valueless comparison, you think that I am for some reason jealous of people who use an agent. Newsflash, whatever the reason you give to Thai police, your government WILL make it more difficult to renew your passport once it is lost.

Edited by Celsius
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you know how many beers that is? :smile:

How many packs of ciggies?

I don't smoke either but others do & the answer is approx.  50, I don't know any smokers who get through less than 1 pack per week. 

Point being we all place our own value on how we spend our money, I believe I get great value from paying an agent 8,000b to sort out my annual extension for me (I actually give them 12,000b because I need a multi-re-entry permit) some people get better value from a couple of extra (small) beers or pack of ciggies per week.

Again, to each his own

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1