The beauty of using an agent.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:37 PM, sidjameson said:

I'm 55 and consider all things such as trips to immigration, visa runs, long haul flights as my work.

I retired 10 years ago from the real world of work so the few days a year I do this new variation of the four letter word doesn't bother me....much. ????

Me too. My time is not worth 3000 baht per hour as it once was. I DIY and enjoy good wine. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, transam said:

And according to you, you want to be checked for healthcare insurance on your return....................:whistling:

Well, in your case, there will always be Scunthorpe.............:intheclub:

There is perhaps more of a case for compulsory cover for end of life treatment and care plus funeral expenses! Seriously though, last year I received once only pneumococcal vaccine and a flu jab whilst in UK. First benefit out of UK NHS this century for me. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

Doubt you would spend a day at immigration.

If you do, you might do something wrong or do not have the required information at hand.

After few years you should know what is required for an extension each year.

I spent 30 to 45 minutes at the immigration office to get the yearly extension.

Total travel time, to and from the immigration office, 30 minutes.

Once a year, free of charge.

The beauty of not using an agent.

If you're going to quote me, do so In context and completely rather than cheery picking a few words to serve as the basis of your ranting admonishment.

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

As the Ubon Ratchathani Immigration office is located on the UbonR Rajabhat university campus, you might think differently if you had to go there.

image.jpeg.d1dc242b159b3565cf2590fdac1f7f89.jpeg

I used an agent to get my 5 yr DL's renewed this year. The licenses are valid  all requirements apply. At the Transport office it can take hours now you are paying to for to get the appointment expedited  and cut the lines.  I guess you can call that corruption. They have pretty "Lady" there too and no doubt as to their gender assignment at birth.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I used an agent to get my 5 yr DL's renewed this year. The licenses are valid  all requirements apply. At the Transport office it can take hours now you are paying to for to get the appointment expedited  and cut the lines.  I guess you can call that corruption. They have pretty "Lady" there too and no doubt as to their gender assignment at birth.

"A" pretty lady is one thing. Sitting in the student union which is same building as the immigration office and having a few hundred wandering by is something else even if there are a few gender-dubious among them.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

43 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I Have never had a Thai bank account which didn't pay interest. Currently I get about 1%, but will do a review later this year to see if i can get more on another account, now that rates are raising. But a year ago that was better than most UK banks.

As for time/hassle versus money for an agent, Udon Thani immigration is just a 15-20 minute ride away, and doing my Marriage extension usually takes only one hour. My 400,000 baht in the bank is available to use for 9 months a year. I also do my 90 day reports at immigration, usually takes 2 minutes..... (rarely a queue in the afternoon). 

See no need for an agent, although for SOME people it makes sense.

I am unable to get an interest bearing account in Thailand. I had a UOB one once but it wasnt acceptable to the IO. It had no passbook. And, it was taxed at 7% at source. Sure, my UK interest was taxable too, but it never pushed me into a taxable zone.

Edited by bradiston
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Which is one of the advantages of the marriage visa.

You need to be married.

No thanks. 

BTW since the 400k only needs to be in bank for 2 .months plus under consideration period (some offices) why post about interest rates.

Surely times ain't that tough. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow sucks for you.  My Fixed deposit account at one time was making 2.5%, then it went down to .5% in 2020, it was back up to 1% when I closed it out in January.  The interest it earned every year had been paying for the annual extension of stay, the gas to get there, the bank statement, and then putting 1k Thb back into the account to show the deposit day of.  Not much more, but hey the 800K in the bank method did pay for the extension of stay and then some......now with the new LTR I repatriated back to the US to my HY savings account making 4.25%

I'm not arguing it might not pay for the ext of stay, which after all is only 1900 THB if you do it yourself. I was pointing out that Thai banks, along with almost every bank worldwide, pay far less than the rate of inflation, so you're being forced into a really crummy investment scheme. Guaranteed loss anyone?

I have money invested - in fact the bulk of my capital - in much higher rate bank accounts and financial instruments, elsewhere. They're not hard to find or access. £20k/$25k deposits can earn decent returns.

If I put up an ad offering a guaranteed 2% loss pa, how many takers would there be? Well, 1000s of expats in Thailand for a start it seems.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow sucks for you.  My Fixed deposit account at one time was making 2.5%, then it went down to .5% in 2020, it was back up to 1% when I closed it out in January.  The interest it earned every year had been paying for the annual extension of stay, the gas to get there, the bank statement, and then putting 1k Thb back into the account to show the deposit day of.  Not much more, but hey the 800K in the bank method did pay for the extension of stay and then some......now with the new LTR I repatriated back to the US to my HY savings account making 4.25%

Your argument assumes that the 800K is the only 800K Investment that somebody has where as the reality is that it's a rounding error (<0.05%) of other's retirement funds.

End of the day I choose to keep at least 2 years annual spends in cash, in Thailand & that more than meets the 800K that immigration ask for, the fact I pay 8K (+4K for a multi re-entry permit) for an agent to make my life easier is just that... it makes my life easier. 

Have a Bualuang Key fob going spare if you fancy it, sorry I gave the car parking pass to a mate of mine as I don't have a car (wait, I don't have a car so I must be very poor.. yeah... Pathetic!). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

11 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

(wait, I don't have a car so I must be very poor.. yeah... Pathetic!). 

I once went looking for an apartment at an upscale upcountry condo. Sorry no vacancies. I said: That's funny -- I was here earlier this morning and no cars.

Answer: Yes -- the drivers take the cars home at night.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bradiston said:

I'm not arguing it might not pay for the ext of stay, which after all is only 1900 THB if you do it yourself. I was pointing out that Thai banks, along with almost every bank worldwide, pay far less than the rate of inflation, so you're being forced into a really crummy investment scheme. Guaranteed loss anyone?

I have money invested - in fact the bulk of my capital - in much higher rate bank accounts and financial instruments, elsewhere. They're not hard to find or access. £20k/$25k deposits can earn decent returns.

If I put up an ad offering a guaranteed 2% loss pa, how many takers would there be? Well, 1000s of expats in Thailand for a start it seems.

Yeah, to beat inflation I put all my money into houses and lots. Whore houses and lots of booze! 

Anyone that sees 800K as life changing money should probably use an agent. 

• Haha 1