The beauty of using an agent.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Where are you getting 6% on a fixed account, India? 

The account I use draws significantly more interest than my US savings account.

If $25,000 represents a major portion of one's savings, "tying it up" might not be a good idea, but circumventing the law comes with some level of risk as well. 

I think having money in the country one lives in makes sense, and the bank is a good place to keep it. If I really need the money, I can take it out. 

I'm not getting it. I'm losing it on depreciation due to inflation. Cash is a depreciating asset. I can get 7.5% elsewhere.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Or you could make online appointment. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131

This doesn't get emphasized enough, it the single best improvement that Immigration has made in the 20 years I've been going there.  I arrived with an appointment for retirement a gew weeks ago, only took 25 minutes from document checking to passport in-hand. Pleasant experience,

Granted, I CHOOSE to do it myself primarily for 2 reasons, my passport remains in my possession and I keep abreast of any bureaucratic changes. Saving agent fees is just a bonus, icing on the cake as they say.

I'm also not anti-agent, never used them for a renewal, but have used  them for 90 reporting in the past.

Was wondering if you have either an opinion or any relevant statute about Immigration, particularly when it comes to agents, or "fixers",  I rather think of agents in these 2 distinct ways. The way I always thought about fixers is that Immigration is the final arbiter. This in effect, assuming you/they can reach someone who is not just staffing a desk, leaves Immigration with plenty of latitude as to whether or not to approve your renewal request under especially under extenuating circumstances.

10 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

This doesn't get emphasized enough, it the single best improvement that Immigration has made in the 20 years I've been going there

I'm hearing you.

The two big leap forward has been the ability to make appointment.

Especially in relation to CW.

The second is that they finally seem to have good software for 90 day reports.

In relation to reference to using an agent..... personally I have no issue with it at all. 

Despite what the preachers type on AseanNow there is no issue.

At some point in the future I would use agents most likely due to mobility etc. 

I do it myself using money in bank method retirement. 

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

We have already discussed that scenario with our friendly and helpful immigration officer. If I ever get to that stage, my wife can act as my agent for free.

I'm actually quite happy to prepare the paperwork for our annual trip to the office. I don't leave it all until the last minute, there is plenty one can do in advance. So it is not the onerous task that people make it out to be,

It's 'horses for courses' isn't it. As has already been said, there are better things one can do with 10,000 THB IMO and there is a certain sense of satisfaction when that stamp is finally placed in my passport. A job well done.

Where are located in Thailand.

I am currently living in Pattaya. I have not had any issues with immigration but the immigration officers seem very busy and don't seem to have time for any type of discussion. I just hand them my paperwork and they spend a few minutes reviewing it and then ask me for the 1900 baht. I get handed a number and told to come back tomorrow to pick up my passport.

I understand why some people use agents just to avoid the waiting in line and the stress involved. I personally think the additional 10,000 baht seems like a high price to avoid a little stress. I do find the people that seem to find pride in the fact that they use an agent a bit strange but I also feel a bit of pride in the fact I can do it myself.

I plan to move when my lease is up and hope the immigration office at my next home will be a bit less stressful.  Being able to have a discussion with an immigration officer might be helpful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biervoormij said:

Where are located in Thailand.

I am currently living in Pattaya. I have not had any issues with immigration but the immigration officers seem very busy and don't seem to have time for any type of discussion. I just hand them my paperwork and they spend a few minutes reviewing it and then ask me for the 1900 baht. I get handed a number and told to come back tomorrow to pick up my passport.

I understand why some people use agents just to avoid the waiting in line and the stress involved. I personally think the additional 10,000 baht seems like a high price to avoid a little stress. I do find the people that seem to find pride in the fact that they use an agent a bit strange but I also feel a bit of pride in the fact I can do it myself.

I plan to move when my lease is up and hope the immigration office at my next home will be a bit less stressful.  Being able to have a discussion with an immigration officer might be helpful.

It's not the application time, but the 800/400k requirement. I want that money available 365 days a year. Can anyone explain the rationale behind it? When it came in? Whose idea it was?

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

We have already discussed that scenario with our friendly and helpful immigration officer. If I ever get to that stage, my wife can act as my agent for free.

I'm actually quite happy to prepare the paperwork for our annual trip to the office. I don't leave it all until the last minute, there is plenty one can do in advance. So it is not the onerous task that people make it out to be,

It's 'horses for courses' isn't it. As has already been said, there are better things one can do with 10,000 THB IMO and there is a certain sense of satisfaction when that stamp is finally placed in my passport. A job well done.

Yeah, forms are all typed in neatly on the computer already, trivial just to change the dates, run off a set, affix photo, and sign. Takes about 20 min. Immigration office, choose a time less busy, could take as little as 15 min, but maybe 30-45 at most. Never any problems, always smooth. Can't imagine a need for an agent, waste of money and very weak. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'll continue to pay myself 8-10k for that hour, while sitting at Imm on my phone, trolling AN. 

That's like 2 or 3X what I paid myself when I did work.  And I get to pop into the mall (which we don't have) for some shopping or a munch.   Or, pays for that weekend O&A.

Give it away, or spend on yourself ... UP2U

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't use an agent, but I do not understand is the animosity by people that do not use an agent toward people that do. I don't give much of a rat's what people spend their time or money on as long it does not affect me. 

Going to CW does not really bother me, but if it did, I would pay someone else to do it. 

Couldn't give a monkey's either, but they have to have a little bit back if they post a wind up OP like that. ????

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It's not the application time, but the 800/400k requirement. I want that money available 365 days a year. Can anyone explain the rationale behind it? When it came in? Whose idea it was?

Sorry I am the wrong person to answer that question. I just accept the 800/400k requirement. If I would have had an issue with it I would have retired somewhere it was not a requirement. I personally don't have an issue with you using an agent to get around this but it would just add to my stress level at extension time if I did it.

• Like 1

For me it is good to keep 800,000 baht in an instant access account continuously available. I never know, from one minute to the next, what will be required e.g. my neice may decide she needs a 'new' car or my Mrs spots a pick-up she likes the look of. Fortunately for me, the family is satisfied with old vehicles (Mrs has a 1995 Mighty X and niece a 2003 Honda City). Otherwise, as a previous contributor has reminded us, interest rates have risen at home and now cover agents retirement extension renewal fees more than twice over.

7 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Just to be clear for 1 year retirement visa and extension, whether with or without an agent, you MUST attend immigration  in person for signing document, photo  etc.

If anyone is saying that  they pay money to an agent to avoid doing that, then the legality of your visa and extension is questionable.

If I am wrong, please ask ubonjoe (moderator and expert) to correct me.

If you have to attend for a deskcam photo anyway then you can get away with the IO VIP service (tip to IO only, no agent involved assuming you have the funds).