UK Living standards

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Even in the 1970s , many households didn't own a television or have a landline phone or a washing machine and unheated homes  .

Theses days there a television  in every room, everyone has a mobile phone and everyone has a washing machine and a drying machine and its usual to have a least one car per household

Do you really think consumer goods is quality of life?

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You didn't buy a flat in the UK because the water is cheaper in Thailand ?

Probably because the purchase would cost x100 times the Thai price ????

West is done 

Stick a fork in it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The one year decline might be worse but living standards in 2023 are way above 1953. When i was a lad, no colour plasma tvs, no mobile phones, no satellite tv, no foreign holidays every year, no central heating...........etc. People don't accept how much better off we are now.

I can read any book, watch any movie, listen to any music without leaving my home.

That's got to be worth something!!

"Slouching Towards Utopia: The Economic History of the Twentieth Century by J. Bradford de Long"

Is worth a read

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, transam said:

I think most of us know that, and have been for many a year.....:stoner:

But my mum and dad knew more about poverty when they were growing up than I do.....

Your mum and dad, like everyone of their generation, also knew a lot about living standards continually improving. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:53 PM, SatEng said:

A decline in living standards is a relative term as it is taking a baseline of already higher living standards - not as many people in the 1950s would have had a refrigerator, washing machine, indoor lavatory, mobile phone, internet etc.

The highest tax burden is more correct as there has been a shift from progressive direct taxation (income tax, rates etc.) to less progressive indirect taxation (VAT etc,) and many relative tax benefits (capital gains reductions, corporate tax loopholes, international revenue transfers etc.) which mean that the tax burden on the average salary has increased.

A more telling statistic is that in ten years from 2000, the UK average salary has increased by about 17.5%, which is lower than most European countries, and now surpassed by countries such as Ireland and Norway which used to have a lower average.

The other meaningful statistic is that in the same ten-year period the average house price increase was 33% which means less affordability

Conversely ordinary working people had the possibility of buying an affordable home, access to work place pensions and life long employment.

• Thanks 2

On 3/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Even in the 1970s , many households didn't own a television or have a landline phone or a washing machine and unheated homes  .

Theses days there a television  in every room, everyone has a mobile phone and everyone has a washing machine and a drying machine and its usual to have a least one car per household

Back when jobs were plentiful, houses affordable, young people could get a real apprenticeship, year on year improvement in living standards.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 2:19 AM, Henryford said:

The one year decline might be worse but living standards in 2023 are way above 1953. When i was a lad, no colour plasma tvs, no mobile phones, no satellite tv, no foreign holidays every year, no central heating...........etc. People don't accept how much better off we are now.

Some people didn't even have beds , one of my friends had to sleep in a puddle

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Back when jobs were plentiful, houses affordable, young people could get a real apprenticeship, year on year improvement in living standards.

All available today.

Did you know, for example, there are currently over 1m job vacancies in UK? You nust know about it, you mention the lack of work force on Brexit threads enough times.

I've just bought a property. Only 3 times annual income. About the same ratio as my parents in 1967.

A standard job, standard property, not over spending like many. Standard of living improving nicely.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are indeed around  1 million vacancies, significant numbers of which are zero hour contracts or short term contract jobs, not the secure jobs with work place benefits that built the wealth of baby boomers..

National statics on income to house price ratios are available, and a lot more reliable than claims made on anonymous Internet forums.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/housing/bulletins/housingaffordabilityinenglandandwales/2021

Incorrect.

Speaking from experience. Seeing as you don't like using others experience to make conversation, take time to search for yourself. 

Healthcare, NHS, supermarkets, opticians......to name a few, all offering jobs with futures, good contracts and pensions.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Incorrect.

Speaking from experience. Seeing as you don't like using others experience to make conversation, take time to search for yourself. 

Healthcare, NHS, supermarkets, opticians......to name a few, all offering jobs with futures, good contracts and pensions.

As you wish:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/key-workers-vacancies-jobs-pay-city-guilds-b2006288.html

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2019/11/21/low-wage-work-is-more-pervasive-than-you-think-and-there-arent-enough-good-jobs-to-go-around/

• Like 1