UK Living standards

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No. You misunderstand. Or maybe just refuse to accept.

Make a simple jobs search. Not a propaganda search. Try Indeed or Totaljobs, for example. Try careers search on Asda, Aldi or Morrisons, for example. It really is quite simple. Seek and ye shall find.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Healthcare, NHS, supermarkets, opticians......to name a few, all offering jobs with futures, good contracts and pensions.

Working in a nursing home or as a hospital porter isn't my idea of a good job.

I did stack shelves in Tesco as a high school student, not much future in it.

I wonder how long you'd need to work in the supermarket to buy your own home?

My oldest son is a shelf stacker (asst manager) in the local Co-op, age 32 he's still living in a rented room in a shared house.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. You misunderstand. Or maybe just refuse to accept.

Make a simple jobs search. Not a propaganda search. Try Indeed or Totaljobs, for example. Try careers search on Asda, Aldi or Morrisons, for example. It really is quite simple. Seek and ye shall find.

The topic of discussion is the decline in UK living standards, the existence of some well paid jobs does not balance out the very high numbers of poorly paid jobs.

By example, the rise in zero hour contracts and short fixed term contracts.

I’m a professional engineer, I see high paid job vacancies often going empty because there are no qualified people available, but what I don’t do is mistake those small numbers of jobs as indicative of the pay and conditions of the vast number of low pay, poor condition jobs.

I’m really not sure what your reference to ‘propaganda’ was about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The topic of discussion is the decline in UK living standards, the existence of some well paid jobs does not balance out the very high numbers of poorly paid jobs.

By example, the rise in zero hour contracts and short fixed term contracts.

I’m a professional engineer, I see high paid job vacancies often going empty because there are no qualified people available, but what I don’t do is mistake those small numbers of jobs as indicative of the pay and conditions of the vast number of low pay, poor condition jobs.

I’m really not sure what your reference to ‘propaganda’ was about.

So you didn't do a search? As expected as you would find things detrimental to your arguement.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect the poster to whom you're replying is only suitable for minimum wage work, so sees all adverts as 'suitable'.

Edit:

There you go, he's just replied that is the case.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

So you didn't do a search? As expected as you would find things detrimental to your arguement.

Hang on a minute, you state your personal experience and tgen don’t accept me quoting my personal experience.

Perhaps because my personal experience is detrimental to your argument?!

So let’s go to the data.

Refer links above.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I suspect the poster to whom you're replying is only suitable for minimum wage work, so sees all adverts as 'suitable'.

Edit:

There you go, he's just replied that is the case.

You clearly need to check minimum wages to compare to what I stated.

However, please allow me to explain. Having lived in Thailand for over 20 years and deciding to relocate back to UK for purpose of wife and daughters future, I needed to get a job quickly in order to satisfy the salary requirements for my wife's spouse visa. That i did. If you read my post again, all of it this time, you will see I posted that after a year I moved direction. You claim I can only do minimum wage jobs is untrue and, to be honest, offensive due to your suggestion being an assumption.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hang on a minute, you state your personal experience and tgen don’t accept me quoting my personal experience.

Perhaps because my personal experience is detrimental to your argument?!

So let’s go to the data.

Refer links above.

Your assumptions are wide of the mark. 

I'm perfectly happy to accept your experiences in the engineering field.

It is you not accepting.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Good luck to your daughter with her career, but I take it she’s living at home, certainly not likely to get a mortgage on £14 an hour, nor if she reaches the £35K a year without a substantial deposit.

No living at home, no.

She is living with her boyfriend in a very nice flat. With their feet on the ground, not over stretching or buying things just because others have them, they are well on the way to saving a deposit. 

I'll pass on your good luck wishes for her career.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This is an anonymous forum, claims made without verifiable sources are naturally un verifiable.

Data from reputable sources on the other hand are verifiable.

For example, Government data on the affordability of houses, link provided.

You personally might buy a house at three times your income, I personally might pay cash, but Government data tells us that for the vast majority of people house prices are outstripping their incomes by increasing ratios.

Likewise what you earn and what I earn is not an indication of what others earn or are able to earn, for that we need to go to reliable data sources.

Did you do the jobs search? Thought not.

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Did you do the jobs search? Thought not.

Did you check the reliable and verifiable data?

Because of you do realize that individual job adverts are discrete data points and it’s masses of data points that are collected and reported in Government statistics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Did you check the reliable and verifiable data?

Because of you do realize that individual job adverts are discrete data points and it’s masses of data points that are collected and reported in Government statistics.

I doubt very much there are government statistics for the month of March, which is the month I used when doing the job search.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

but I take it she’s living at home, certainly not likely to get a mortgage on £14 an hour

if I was a youngster, I'd strive to find a job i can do online and live as a digital nomad.

houses are over-priced and i don't think the values will keep going up as they have in the past. 

or maybe wait another 10 years and buy a robot 3D-printed house at a fraction of the current housing costs?

the main point is that the world is changing.

young people should be cautious taking advice from previous generations.

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

if I was a youngster, I'd strive to find a job i can do online and live as a digital nomad.

houses are over-priced and i don't think the values will keep going up as they have in the past. 

or maybe wait another 10 years and buy a robot 3D-printed house at a fraction of the current housing costs?

I think they should be cautious on the idea of technology coming to their aid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

It's the UK government inflating house prices, the building costs won't matter.

Building could be free, but the government wouldn't allow planning permission or land availability.

In France you can buy a run-down farmhouse and land for under E20k.

https://www.french-property.com/sale-property/1676-FRP141303-1603?source=property-alerts-latest

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's the UK government inflating house prices, the building costs won't matter.

Building could be free, but the government wouldn't allow planning permission or land availability.

In France you can buy a run-down farmhouse and land for under E20k.

Building the houses the nation needs would deflate house prices and especially the buy to let market.

Not a vote winner. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Building the houses the nation needs would deflate house prices and especially the buy to let market.

Not a vote winner. 

Financial institutions own much of the rental market now.

The Cons won't let their pals lose money.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:25 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Your mum and dad, like everyone of their generation, also knew a lot about living standards continually improving. 

I don't think you know anything, except excuses...........:coffee1:

On 3/20/2023 at 1:57 PM, BritManToo said:

Took my rabbit to the vet this week ...... $3 (100bht)

Friend took her rabbit to a UK vet .... 100GBP.

Both rabbits had the same problem (ear mites, Ivermectin injection).

I couldn't afford to keep pets in the UK.

Eat the rabbit and save on house keeping 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Do you have anything to add that even remotely addresses the topic of discussion?

You quoted my mum and dad knew things were improving, but you are saying the UK is poverty stricken, make up your mind chap.....:ermm:

56 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Malta's National Dish is rabbit and chips. I spent 3 happy years in Malta and loved the cuisine. 

I spent 5 days there, which was 4 days too long for me. I thought that the food was terrible. Each to their own ...