"Humanity is on thin ice - and that ice is melting fast."

Social Media

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not surprise. Climate change caused disruptions in the climate resulting in unusual large snowfalls in some areas. Surveys of the entire ice sheet show overall ice loss is eclipsing new snowfall. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Absolutely, no need to let 'an inconvenient truth' get in the way of your beliefs.

You might want to direct that remark closer to home:

Antarctic Ice Loss 2002-2020

The mass of the Antarctic ice sheet has changed over the last decades. Research based on observations from the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) satellites (2002-2017) and GRACE Follow-On (since 2018 - ) indicates that between 2002 and 2020, Antarctica shed approximately 150 gigatons of ice per year, causing global sea level to rise by 0.4 millimeters per year.

https://grace.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/31/antarctic-ice-loss-2002-2020/

Previously Unknown Loss of Antarctic Ice Discovered by NASA – “Antarctica Is Crumbling at Its Edges”

New NASA research on Antarctica, including the first map of iceberg calving, doubles the previous estimates of loss from ice shelves and details how the continent is changing.

In forecasting global sea level rise, the greatest uncertainty is how Antarctica’s ice loss will accelerate as the climate warms. Two studies led by researchers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Southern California reveal unexpected new data about how the Antarctic Ice Sheet has been losing mass in recent decades.

https://scitechdaily.com/previously-unknown-loss-of-antarctic-ice-discovered-by-nasa-antarctica-is-crumbling-at-its-edges/

Good, we need more rain water in some places.   Not doing humans any good as ice ????

Better water management should be the top priority, as something they can actually do & control.

Stop worrying about the climate/weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Good, we need more rain water in some places.   Not doing humans any good as ice ????

Better water management should be the top priority, as something they can actually do & control.

Dry season typical climate phenomenon this time of year. You might get a thunderstorm in this kind of weather. What’s that got to do with climate change? 

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Tell that to people who depending on melting ice when in the hot dry season when there's no rain.

49 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Tell that to people who depending on melting ice when in the hot dry season when there's no rain.

At present, the ice melting is an inevitability, next 1-2-300 yrs.

Again, concentrate on water management, something you can control, not the uncontrollable weather.

Temps have leveled off, an average the past few years, but still nothings but floods & droughts in the news, the past 100 years ... hmm.

When you all go solar and drive an EV, let me know, but until then, don't talk to me about global warming or climate change.

Just another hypocrite, and part of the problem, not the solution.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

At present, the ice melting is an inevitability, next 1-2-300 yrs.

Again, concentrate on water management, something you can control, not the uncontrollable weather.

Temps have leveled off, an average the past few years, but still nothings but floods & droughts in the news, the past 100 years ... hmm.

When you all go solar and drive an EV, let me know, but until then, don't talk to me about global warming or climate change.

Just another hypocrite, and part of the problem, not the solution.

You've tried on this nonsense about temperatures leveling off before. You clearly don't understand a thing about trends and regression analysis. In fact the trend shows a sharp increase in temperatures. It's true that 2016 and 2020 are in a virtual tie for highest global average. The thing is in 2016 there was a strong el nino which raises global temperature averages. In 2020 there was actually a mild La Nina which tends to lower global temperatures. Despite which, the 2 were in a virtual tie. When the next El Nino comes along, it's a virtual lock that a new record will be set.

The last refuge of someone who has no valid evidence to offer is to make the issue personal. You've got nothing.. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

The last refuge of someone who has no valid evidence to offer is to make the issue personal. You've got nothing.. 

Nothing personal, but people complain about man made global warming/climate change, but don't do anything (go solar/drive ev) about it, but complaining.

Apparently complaining isn't working.   If concerned, you should probably DO something about it.

I don't believe it is a problem, so don't need any evidence, but NOAA's data does show temps leveled off since 2015.  One spike ups since, then leveling, actually when down a bit, but so little, not worth mentioning.

Some people talk, some people do ... UP2U

That 1.5C isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, IF it even happens the next 100 yrs.   Some may even welcome it.

Instead of wasting time talking about ice melting, that they can't stop, maybe the should concentrate on water management.

Been screaming about the ice melting for over 2 decades that I can remember, but still haven't directed much attention to water management.

Oh wait ... they're making money selling water, so why solve that problem.

Silly me ????

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

From your first link:

"The authors of this latest research say 2020 could have marked the end of the expansion in Eastern Antarctica. In the last 18 months there has been an increase in the number of icebergs breaking away from the peninsula."

To prove the point..................

The Arctic has warmed nearly four times faster than the rest of the planet during the last 40 years, according to research published on Thursday that suggests climate models are underestimating the rate of polar heating.

“We present evidence that during 1979–2021 the Arctic has been warming nearly four times as fast as the entire globe,” the authors said in the study.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-022-00498-3

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing personal, but people complain about man made global warming/climate change, but don't do anything (go solar/drive ev) about it, but complaining.

Apparently complaining isn't working.   If concerned, you should probably DO something about it.

I don't believe it is a problem, so don't need any evidence, but NOAA's data does show temps leveled off since 2015.  One spike ups since, then leveling, actually when down a bit, but so little, not worth mentioning.

That 1.5C isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, IF it even happens the next 100 yrs.   Some may even welcome it.

Instead of wasting time talking about ice melting, that they can't stop, maybe the should concentrate on water management.

Been screaming about the ice melting for over 2 decades that I can remember, but still haven't directed much attention to water management.

Silly me ????

Maybe they do but just don't feel the need to publicize what they do personally?

Its also important to look at trends rather than a few years at a time.

image.png.037e7b988bbaa1fb9cfd696053b06c02.png

Eleven-year averages are used to reduce the year-to-year natural noise in the data, making the underlying trends more obvious.

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/189/graphic-temperature-vs-solar-activity/

Edited by Bkk Brian
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Listen to Bjørn Lomborg and others who look at reality and don't panic.

Sorry, it is a 4-hour interview. Some things are too difficult to explain in a TikTok video. 

Lomborg is not the most honest person in the climatological community. But he is a contender for the least:

A closer examination of the fantastical numbers in Bjorn Lomborg’s new book

But, like his previous contributions to this issue, Dr Lomborg’s arguments are based on fantastical numbers that have little or no credibility. Overall, the numbers presented by Dr Lomborg, who has a PhD in political science, understate the potential economic impacts of climate change and exaggerate the costs of cutting greenhouse gases. And he has promoted them apparently secure in the knowledge that they will not be fact-checked by book publishers or newspaper comment editors.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/a-closer-examination-of-the-fantastical-numbers-in-bjorn-lomborgs-new-book/

Climate cost study authors accuse Bjørn Lomborg of misinterpreting results

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/02/climate-cost-study-authors-accuse-bjrn-lomborg-of-misinterpreting-results

This article lists several other whoppers told by Lomborg as well.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Silly me ????

.  As I've pointed out, the peaks you refer to are due to years when there was a very strong El Nino effect. Despite that 2020 was virtually tied with 2016 even though that was a La Nina year which depresses temperature.. The same kind of stuff you are spouting was also alleged for what followed the  1997-98 El Nino which up to that point was the highest temperature year on record. Denialists like yourself predicted that the global warming was over because for the next 6 years, that 1997-98 el nino held  the record breaking temperature. Then in 2005, a new record was set. Again in 2010. The last 8 years have been the highest temperatures on record. In fact, despite the powerful el nino of 1997-98, it no longer even counts among the top ten years. Which included many years with temperature reducing La Ninas. The trend is obvious.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't care about climate change, but I do care about nutters like Greta and con men like Al Gore wanting me to live in a mud hut with no heating, electricity, internet or a vehicle to drive. (while they drive around in humvees and motorcades, and live in beach front mansions)

The only way for evil to triumph is if the rest of us stay quiet and let it happen.

Don’t forget John Kerry…..self proclaimed climate change tsar. 

• Love It 1

Keep cool, carry on.

As long as humans multiply as consumers and new businesses are developed to pay taxes to finance govt and employ those humans, govt will just continue to holler as a way to show they are doing something.

Edited by userabcd