Dual pricing swimming pool

topswijaya

On 3/22/2023 at 10:41 AM, topswijaya said:

The price for adult thai is 15.

Non thai people have to pay 10 times more expensive (150).

See/download the file.

Don't expect a lot of tourists coming any time soon if they know that they will get this discriminatory attitude.

1055913555_LumpiniParktimes.webp 57.02 kB · 52 downloads

You can not be shocked about such discrimination if you have chosen to live here. Pricing for farong is still lower than what we would pay for something similar at home.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:41 PM, ikke1959 said:

What would happen if Thais are being double priced in a western country????

Not the point.  And I dare say that in another Asian country, they would be treated as foreigners, indeed I know that they are in at least 4 that I can name . 

13 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
On 3/22/2023 at 8:41 AM, ikke1959 said:

What would happen if Thais are being double priced in a western country????

Not the point.  And I dare say that in another Asian country, they would be treated as foreigners, indeed I know that they are in at least 4 that I can name . 

Which Asian Countries ‘dual charge’ Thai’s for being foreigners ? (I’m sure it happens.. I’m guessing China, Cambodia, Vietnam, India)... 

I agree its not the point though ‘dual charing based on nationality’ is a discriminatory practice utilised in in countries with what would be considered a poor degree of individual rights... (i.e. developing nations)....   Its not used by nations we’d consider developed... People will now of course try and counter that with examples of dual pricing based on ‘residency’ which is not the same. 

1 hour ago, Grandpaneal said:

You can not be shocked about such discrimination if you have chosen to live here.

Agreed... having lived here, dual pricing is not shocking at all. 

However, it is disagreeable, it leaves a sour taste, it's clumsy, its terrible PR (has awful optics).

The continued ‘official’ practice is an indication of poor development and uncivilised attitudes of those in decision making power. 

1 hour ago, Grandpaneal said:

Pricing for farong is still lower than what we would pay for something similar at home.

You haven’t bought a car recently then ???...  there are many items here in Thailand which are more expensive than our home countries....    

The suggestion that ’some things’ are cheaper in some way justifies dual pricing is a fundamentally flawed argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It must be noted - that for many of us the dual pricing discussion is just that - a discussion (not a life changer). 

We don't let it ruin our day etc...  BUT, that does not mean we do not have a strong opinion on this matter. 

When it's worth it, we tolerate the practice, when it's not we can happily walk away or politely complain and hope that gets passed up the chain. 

i.e. I was charged the ‘Foreigner Price’ entering Koh Samet... (even with a Pink ID card / Thai DL etc)... No issues, I didn’t let it spoil my break - BUT... that does not mean I don't have objections to such policies and will voice them in discussions either on this forum or when such topics arise with friends, foreign or Thai. I’ll also support the likes of Richard Barrow in their efforts to raise awareness of the negative sides of such issues. 

Some unintelligent 'binary’ thinkers seem to be of the opinion that if we don't like something we should leave which is simply an ill thought out over simplified dumbed down attitude. 

Would you rather have Thai families paying the real price of having access to national parks, instead of very few foreigners paying higher price? Call it tourist price. 2. would it felt better if those on legal long term stay paid local prices and tourists another price? I guess most places with dual pricing is subsidised heavily to give locals who are not so wealthy access. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

You make a few points which I’ll address separately. 

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Would you rather have Thai families paying the real price of having access to national parks, instead of very few foreigners paying higher price? Call it tourist price.

I'd rather all 'residents' are treated equally, if someone is living in Thailand, paying tax in Thailand, contributing to the Thai economy for a significant proportion of the year (i.e. a resident), has a Non-Imm Visa (extension of), Pink ID, owns property, has a full driving licence etc... (i.e. can prove they are long term in Thailand) they ’should' be treated as a resident. 

.... Tourists are a different issue, they are fleeced wherever possible in every country. I also disagree with that and believe governments and authorities should do more to covet tourists who bring in significant amounts and benefit economies the dual pricing against tourists is more difficult to legislate against and is often circumnavigated under the guise of ‘resident discounts’ - this is more of a grey area IMO. 

The resident aspect is somewhat different, a Thai, or anyone else who meets the immigration requirements to live in any developed nation is not discriminated against based on nationality once there - they receive the same ‘resident’ benefits based purely on ‘residency’ and not excluded or over-charged due to nationality. 

2. would it felt better if those on legal long term stay paid local prices and tourists another price?

Feeling is somewhat irrelevant - this is more about ‘right vs wrong’ (i.e. discrimination).

These on legal long term stay (i.e. Non-Imm visa etc) are considered resident and thus should not be discriminated against based on nationality alone.

I guess most places with dual pricing is subsidised heavily to give local who are not so wealthy access. 

Flawed argument and based upon the attitudes that Thai’s are poor - experiences vary and are somewhat anecdotal, but many of the Thai’s I know are wealthier than many of the foreigners I know in Thailand. 

IF authorities wanted to subsidise local attractions for locals, they can easily do so on a resident only basis - doing so by nationality is clumsy and poorly justified. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems you don’t quite get the point of principle... 

What if the bar charges you 200 baht for your beer and 80 baht to Thai’s....        its pittance, right ?

:whistling:

ah... the unimaginative ‘If you don't like it go home” [elsewhere] comment.... the golden-droplet of halfwittednesses used by those of a cerebrally challenged mindset attempting to polish a turd... 

It really is about the money, eh? Plenty of price varying in USA but people don't cry about it so much as that is the system they are born into... but, if it were only 1 baht more, would you waste your time and energy moaning about it and citing this phony principles stuff? Or, it really wouldn't matter - - I would imagine there are many 'variations' that you might consider financially favorable toward yourself - - but you only look at one side of the equation - - how much would it cost a Thai person to enter your home country? We live in their country for pennies on the dollar... and that is just the visa... 

Most of us can just walk off the plane and enter free.. a Thai cannot do that in my country - first, they start w/a $150 application fee... which is not refundable and for most, likely will not be accepted. If you are so principled about perceived injustices, why don't you fight for entry equality in your home country? Or in my country? 

or does your fight for principles only apply to when it costs you a penny? 

On 3/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, ikke1959 said:

I am a citizen of Thailand now , but I don't have the nationality.... and I pay taxes here and I am still threated as a foreigner, with double pricing

I very much hate dual pricing.I see the signs on the wall at Queen Sirikit hospital. I try not to let it bother me because the service is very affordable for me. My Dr even suggested that I buy my meds at Fascino because she knew I was paying 1.5  times the locals pay.

BTW...there is a difference between being a resident and a citizen of a country.If you have a Thai passport that makes you a citizen,if not then you are a resident.IMHO  please correct me on that?

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You make a few points which I’ll address separately. 

I'd rather all 'residents' are treated equally, if someone is living in Thailand, paying tax in Thailand, contributing to the Thai economy for a significant proportion of the year (i.e. a resident), has a Non-Imm Visa (extension of), Pink ID, owns property, has a full driving licence etc... (i.e. can prove they are long term in Thailand) they ’should' be treated as a resident. 

.... Tourists are a different issue, they are fleeced wherever possible in every country. I also disagree with that and believe governments and authorities should do more to covet tourists who bring in significant amounts and benefit economies the dual pricing against tourists is more difficult to legislate against and is often circumnavigated under the guise of ‘resident discounts’ - this is more of a grey area IMO. 

The resident aspect is somewhat different, a Thai, or anyone else who meets the immigration requirements to live in any developed nation is not discriminated against based on nationality once there - they receive the same ‘resident’ benefits based purely on ‘residency’ and not excluded or over-charged due to nationality. 

Feeling is somewhat irrelevant - this is more about ‘right vs wrong’ (i.e. discrimination).

These on legal long term stay (i.e. Non-Imm visa etc) are considered resident and thus should not be discriminated against based on nationality alone.

Flawed argument and based upon the attitudes that Thai’s are poor - experiences vary and are somewhat anecdotal, but many of the Thai’s I know are wealthier than many of the foreigners I know in Thailand. 

IF authorities wanted to subsidise local attractions for locals, they can easily do so on a resident only basis - doing so by nationality is clumsy and poorly justified. 

Equality is great, but if there is some popular destinations getting overcrowded and locals getting squised out because of it, isnt that a good reason for dual pricing? 

No, most thais is not more wealty than the average foreigner in Thailand, even you know many who is more wealthy than us, that doesnt give you a good measure of locals who live close by tourist attractions who use them with their families for recreation when they have time. 

I see both sides in this, and even Im travelling quite a bit on Thai roads, Im happy to pay dual prices once and awhile because I can, but I agree about equality is good, but not on behalf of the locals who do not have to much and need those places for their limited time and resources. 

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Equality is great, but if there is some popular destinations getting overcrowded and locals getting squised out because of it, isnt that a good reason for dual pricing? 

This is where the distinction between ‘resident discounts’ and ’discrimination based on nationality’ is concerned.

That said, your point is also somewhat conveniently simplified - those ‘overcrowded areas’ have made locals a plenty of money and more ‘locals’ (nationals) have moved to those areas for that money. 

One comes with the other. 

No, most thais is not more wealty than the average foreigner in Thailand, even you know many who is more wealthy than us,

I agree - It doesn’t provide a good measure. But, it highlights the flaw in the logic that ‘farang rich - Thai poor’ as justification for dual pricing. 

that doesnt give you a good measure of locals who live close by tourist attractions who use them with their families for recreation when they have time. 

You mean by offering a ‘resident discount’ to all Thai residents (Thai and foreign).

I see both sides in this, and even Im travelling quite a bit on Thai roads, Im happy to pay dual prices once and awhile because I can, but I agree about equality is good, but not on behalf of the locals who do not have to much and need those places for their limited time and resources. 

I do see valid argument in offering resident discounts and I think that argument can be justified - I do not see it as being fair or justified that this differentiation occurs on a nationality only basis. 

I would argue the same point if my Wife (Thai) were charged more than I to enter our local leisure centre, golf course, or entertainment park etc if we were living in the UK.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is where the distinction between ‘resident discounts’ and ’discrimination based on nationality’ is concerned.

That said, your point is also somewhat conveniently simplified - those ‘overcrowded areas’ have made locals a plenty of money and more ‘locals’ (nationals) have moved to those areas for that money. 

One comes with the other. 

I agree - It doesn’t provide a good measure. But, it highlights the flaw in the logic that ‘farang rich - Thai poor’ as justification for dual pricing. 

You mean by offering a ‘resident discount’ to all Thai residents (Thai and foreign).

I do see valid argument in offering resident discounts and I think that argument can be justified - I do not see it as being fair or justified that this differentiation occurs on a nationality only basis. 

I would argue the same point if my Wife (Thai) were charged more than I to enter our local leisure centre, golf course, or entertainment park etc if we were living in the UK.

Well we have natural segration by oppertunities, quality and pricing even we do not like to think it is like that. 

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t see how that is relevant to dual pricing based on nationality.... 

I do not see what our society do in UK or Norway in comparrison where our partners, will have every equal right at once they have the right visa. Thailand do not invite us on equal rights, and we know that before we choose to stay. I do not say you are wrong, I totally see your arguements and agree, still this is Thailand. 

I do believe foreign pressure is the only possibility to make tham change. Still it takes more for a single Thai to move to Europe or Usa, than for us to come here to live. We are welcome as long we meet one requirment only, and it is proof of financial or willing to pay for long term visa. I believe Portugal is the only country who can meet those requirements in Europe. 

anyway off topic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Curious.   Why is AN recycling threads?  We already had this thread in March--along with 6 pages of posts discussing it to death.   Why is it coming up again in the daily feed?  

It is not being recycled.  It appears that a poster found the OP and added a post which then brought it back on-line, and then many like yourself keep adding to it , just like I just did. A pool is a pool and dependent on what size you want it may cost more than the neighbors, especially if you have features added like a waterfall.  Dual pricing? I have not seen it in my neck of the woods.

Double pricing is very discrimimating. At japan thai youth centre ( which was funded by Japan government several years ago), a non Thai ( even Japanese person ) has to pay 150B,

a Thai pays 30 to use swimming pool. Similarly, a foreigner has to pay 5 times higher than a Thai counterpart to use badminton or running fields. It is okay if a foreigner has to pay more. For example, 50, not 150

What if a foreigner  has to pay 5 times higher for every thing : electricity, water, beer, etc. For example, a foreigner has to pay 20 per kilowatt hour, a Thai just pays around 4 for electricity bills, meaning a foreigner pays 5 times higher than a Thai.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/profile/109/111

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0TDIvqTA0y8oxYLRSNagwNkg1skwzskgyTEk1NjQ3tjKoSE0zTTUxMkg2TjFOS04xTvISzSnNLcjMy1QoLs_Mzc3MS1coyM_PAQBcMRf0&q=lumphini+park+outdoor+swimming+pool+pathum+wan+reviews&oq=lumpini+swi&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46i175i199i512j0i390i650l2.9652j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&si=AMnBZoFzHNFdRXXan2JJdBw_EB_2R6vnecv6U31jw3SXlngwKnSQbjaybdyyOlSdH6XevBL9KCCGJJjPXjWQO-ijiEtLMmNw_1eu__Zz_-_d1kKTD8eMrLUwA5oTP6WfXOwwkwq3UA2sPi3DSwhVXvsunvf5dEe_gWf3EIkM5SLVGcfW7fcv74M%3D&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwjJp4WmvNH-AhVI2TgGHdb4AsMQyNoBKAJ6BAgPEAk

Read those reviews.

• Like 1

A Thai just pays like what locals in Singappre ( $1), Malaysia ( 5 ringgit), Indonesia ( 25l IDR) pay for public swimming pool use or any government-funded sport facilities.

https://www.myactivesg.com/Facilities/Rates/Individual-rates#Swimming

What if a Thai working ( or a Thai tourist, Thai student visa holder in Singapore) has to pay S$ 10 to use public swimming pool there and a non Thai ( every one except a Thai passport holder ) pays S$1?

A foreigner has to pay 150B,  a Thai pays 15 to use lumpini public swimming pool.

There some Thai who work, study or is tourist in Singapore.

Edited by topswijaya