Dual pricing swimming pool

topswijaya

10 hours ago, topswijaya said:

The price for adult thai is 15.

Non thai people have to pay 10 times more expensive (150).

See/download the file.

Don't expect a lot of tourists coming any time soon if they know that they will get this discriminatory attitude.

1055913555_LumpiniParktimes.webp 57.02 kB · 27 downloads

Are they many tourists going to the Lumpini Youth Centre?

possible solutions..

open laptop and make your own sign--slip it over the current one with your pricing

find a spicy thai lady that will argue your case at pool (unlikely)

go to 20 bt shop and get full face ski mask aka burmese workers--be fully dressed ala thai style and enjoy

go to a fancy hotel and act like you own the place--Ive slipped into a few pools for a night time swim--also use them for when nature calls(toilet)

the last one is a advantage of being a falang in LOS..play the hand that was dealt you

ask for a discount for being hansum man..or so the bargirls tell me...

lastly get a hose at home pro and a fancy attachment and charge THEM to use

when life gives you lemons..cha manao!!!

20 hours ago, Goat said:

Gee 300 baht per year or less than one baht per day.

If this upsets you go back to whatever country you came from and join the local pool there. You will be paying a lot more but wont have your feelings hurt and feel "discriminated" against.

These type of people people make me cringe.

First "If you don't like it here go back to your own country" post of the day. Bet you were the teacher's pet at school.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, topswijaya said:

See/download the file.

Don't expect a lot of tourists coming any time soon if they know that they will get this discriminatory attitude.

1055913555_LumpiniParktimes.webp 57.02 kB · 30 downloads

I can't imagine many tourists use a pool like that.   

Most hotels have free pools for guests. 

Change to the Science Centre pool (9 lane 50m) at Ekamai.  50 baht a swim and 600 baht annual membership for everybody.

When they reopened from Covid we all got a years grace on membership fees. I still go to this pool when in Bangkok.

Just as an aside I live in the country now and my local pool (9 lane 50m) has no membership fees and is 10 baht a swim for everyone! Have to do a  60km round trip to visit though but I love my routine swimming exrecise so no real issue.  

On 3/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, topswijaya said:

How to handle this unfair dual-pricing swimming pool?

If I was aged between 5-61 yo I would ask for the lower rates as in all cases I would be "up to 61yo". Otherwise if I was older than 61 I would expect free entry. If I was under 5yo I would ask my parents to sort it out. If there was another notice with prices for Thais that was cheaper, I'd walk.

53 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

If such small money issues upset you go and live somewhere else. Many, many countries apply dual pricing eg the UK universities charge foreign students fees at least 4 times higher than local students.

Do you have any evidence of the amounts please? It is true that most British students fees are typically no more than £9,000 per year (capped) but that's due to the government paying the balance to the university. Do you know whether the total fees (capped amount plus government contribution) for locals are less than those charged to foreign students? I'd be interested to know. Anyone here have experience in the financial side of UK universities?

On 3/22/2023 at 10:41 AM, topswijaya said:

See/download the file.

1055913555_LumpiniParktimes.webp 57.02 kB · 36 downloads

But aren't foreigners 10x's the size of a Thai and don't we leave a bigger footprint, well in the minds of the Thai government and certain folks we do.  Dual pricing exists everywhere here, its why I send in the GF to negotiate the price and then I show up...............................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

If such small money issues upset you go and live somewhere else. Many, many countries apply dual pricing eg the UK universities charge foreign students fees at least 4 times higher than local students.

NO !!!... You misunderstand... that is not dual pricing - its based on residency not nationality. 

Here’s why.... 

A Thai Couple (or anyone) living in the UK are considered resident. 

IF this Thai Couple (or anyone) has been resident in the UK for more than 3 years, they or their children are eligible to pay UK tuition fees for a UK University.

On the other hand, IF my Wife and I move back to the UK and our Son starts university next year, we have to pay International tuition fees for a UK University. 

(This is why we’d plan to move back to the UK 3 years before our Son starts Uni in the UK. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Do you have any evidence of the amounts please? It is true that most British students fees are typically no more than £9,000 per year (capped) but that's due to the government paying the balance to the university. Do you know whether the total fees (capped amount plus government contribution) for locals are less than those charged to foreign students? I'd be interested to know. Anyone here have experience in the financial side of UK universities?

I've looked into it...  

- UK resident rates are about £9,250.

- Overseas resident rates range from about £10,000 to £40,000 (depending on the Uni).

Example: 

Loughborough University fees:

- UK resident: £9,250.

- Overseas resident:  £22,000 to £27,500 (depending on the course).

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/fees/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

If I was aged between 5-61 yo I would ask for the lower rates as in all cases I would be "up to 61yo". Otherwise if I was older than 61 I would expect free entry. If I was under 5yo I would ask my parents to sort it out. If there was another notice with prices for Thais that was cheaper, I'd walk.

Here's the difference... 

Europe: At a Ski resort with parents (but plenty of examples)

I arrange to meet the folks around the mountain, they can take the inter-resort bus to get there. 

They are asked how old they are (>65) - bus driver tells them its free !!...  they could also use a couple of the cable-cars to meet Wife and I at restaurants on the mountain. 

Thailand: Plenty of places to mention: 

Pensioner pays 10x the Thai price because they are a foreigner.

Its quite a different ‘welcome’ and highlights the immaturity and greed of the mindset here with some businesses which is further enabled with the governments stance on dual pricing at parks etc.

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Learn to be a glass half-full guy.  Rejoice that the pool is open to foreigners.  Cheer that not only is it open to foreigners but the price is so reasonable.  Smile that you are in Thailand, life is good, and have a nice, refreshing swim.   Or, let such a very small thing like a Thai citizen getting a break on pricing ruin your day. 

Thats how I deal with these things....  I don’t let it ruin my day etc..

But, I will make a point and speak up about the dual pricing, highlight that its insulting, ask the staff how they would feel if they were charged extra because they are Thai.. ask them to make that point with their management etc... (all with a smile)... 

... then continue on in and enjoy myself (unless the dual pricing is ridiculously extortionate). 

So.. it won’t ruin my day...  but I don’t like it and will mention that point. 

• Like 1

Dual pricing saved you 

An analysis of 31 pools and hot tubs found the sweetener -- or evidence of urine -- in every single one. On average, there were 8 gallons of urine in a 110,000-gallon pool and nearly 20 gallons of urine in a 220,000-gallon pool, which is about one-third of an Olympic-sized pool 

Happy swimming 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BostonJoe said:

Dual pricing saved you 

An analysis of 31 pools and hot tubs found the sweetener -- or evidence of urine -- in every single one. On average, there were 8 gallons of urine in a 110,000-gallon pool and nearly 20 gallons of urine in a 220,000-gallon pool, which is about one-third of an Olympic-sized pool 

Happy swimming 

So... Americans (specifically from Phoenix) pee a lot in pools.... 

... so Is the Op from the US and are they dual charging him because US people pee in pools as per the Fox10 report you quoted ?????  ????????

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/science-confirms-people-pee-in-the-pool-and-it-can-be-more-than-just-gross

16 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

Not illegal in Thailand, so pay or go somewhere else.  Simple.

Its simple isn’t... just ignore dual pricing, don’t think about it, don’t discuss it, don’t flag it or raise awareness to it, don’t complain about it to the businesses....   

... don’t thank those who went before you and protested such issues and paved the way so issues such as dual pricing are not as wide-spread as they could be...

Keep it simple - ignorance is bliss, isn’t it ???... let others bother about that stuff...  :whistling:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

OMG ???? What a shower of a policy!! The place is awash with prejudice !! lol ????????

Obviously my warped Monty Python sense of humour obviously drowning in aquatic references wasn't caught by one member hahahaha ???????????????? 

1 minute ago, Tropposurfer said:
8 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

OMG ???? What a shower of a policy!! The place is awash with prejudice !! lol ????????

Obviously my warped Monty Python sense of humour obviously drowning in aquatic references wasn't caught by one member hahahaha   ???????????????? 

This is about a swimming pool... not a bathroom renovation !!! ????

????????????????