Dual pricing swimming pool

topswijaya

On 3/23/2023 at 2:44 PM, sandyf said:

You are being ridiculous. Exactly the same could be said about dual pricing in Thailand, it is residency based.

Not ridiculous at all...   IF dual-pricing based on residency then its fair for anyone who is a resident - there are plenty of attractions in Thailand which charge tourists more, but allow residents the ’Thai price’ if we show a Driving licence or Pink ID card etc...  The same cannot be said for dual pricing based on nationality. 

People use excuse that dual pricing occurs in ‘other countries’ to suggest that the practice is acceptable in Thailand, yet when doing so they overlook the fact that dual-pricing when practiced in other countries is based on residency not nationality (the university example has already been shot down earlier in the thread). 

Very few on this forum could claim to be resident for more than 12 months at a time. If you have to continually renew your permission to stay, it would be considered consecutive, not continuous.

Whether resident for 12 months, or shorter, or longer - its still ‘resident’ the duration is irrelevant, you’re clutching at straws, consecutive, continuous etc.. means nothing - Even a foreigner with PR status (Permanent resident) is subject to dual-pricing at National Parks etc...  

Like many others the argument is always about why foreigners are hard done by.  Why come to Thailand and complain about how the Thais do things.

A myopically flawed perspective... you’ve expanded a complaint about a single facet of Thailand [dual pricing] and projected it to all factors of life in Thailand.

It is perfectly acceptable to not like and not agree with facets of living here and discuss those facets while also enjoying much of what Thailand has to offer.

Only the unintelligent make the projection that someone who doesn't like certain aspects of Thailand (such as dual pricing) has a dislike for and complains about Thai things and the way Thai’s do things in general - you have made such a projection, your thinking is flawed.

At the end of the day the good outweighs the bad so live with it.

I  agree, up to a point, the good does outweigh the bad, thats why we all live here. 

But, do we have to live with the things we disagree with, always ??...  Are you suggesting that we cannot discuss such issues on forums such as this?... as such we just ignore such issues ??

There is a reason why some things have changed for us as foreigners in Thailand. 

There is a reason why our wives can own land here (ergo, we can have our own homes as a family).

There is a reason why we don’t need to fill out a TM30 every time we go away for a weekend and return to our home.... 

We have those who have been vocal to thank about the improvements you and others may not have identified...  in many cases the path has be paved for us and things are easier and we have others to thank for not ignoring certain issues. 

Perhaps dual-pricing would be significantly worse in Thailand IF so many people were not already vocal about it... Perhaps you have already benefited from the voice of others 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

NO !!!... You misunderstand... that is not dual pricing - its based on residency not nationality. 

Here’s why.... 

A Thai Couple (or anyone) living in the UK are considered resident. 

IF this Thai Couple (or anyone) has been resident in the UK for more than 3 years, they or their children are eligible to pay UK tuition fees for a UK University.

On the other hand, IF my Wife and I move back to the UK and our Son starts university next year, we have to pay International tuition fees for a UK University. 

(This is why we’d plan to move back to the UK 3 years before our Son starts Uni in the UK. 

You're missing the point. I repeat, many countries charge tourists, visitors and non-residents more than residents. This not only applies to education but, for example, to hotels, services, entertainment etc. booked in advance in package deals, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, ikke1959 said:

I am a citizen of Thailand now , but I don't have the nationality.... and I pay taxes here and I am still threated as a foreigner, with double pricing

In what way does Thai law differentiate between what you call "citizen of Thailand" and "nationality"?

3 minutes ago, Puccini said:
On 3/22/2023 at 8:38 AM, ikke1959 said:

I am a citizen of Thailand now , but I don't have the nationality.... and I pay taxes here and I am still threated as a foreigner, with double pricing

In what way does Thai law differentiate between what you call "citizen of Thailand" and "nationality"?

He'd already received from that....   he just misused the term ‘citizen’.... and meant ‘resident’... 

a fairly common mistake people make when using terms they wouldn’t use on a daily basis. 

22 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Ok mu mistake I am not a citizen, but a resident....

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whether resident for 12 months, or shorter, or longer - its still ‘resident’ the duration is irrelevant, you’re clutching at straws,

Good deflection.

Remind me, who tried to say tuition fees were not based on nationality.

As usual, you would think that 3 years is ok in the UK but the Thais should recognise 3 minutes of residency. Nothing like a bit of dualing.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He'd already received from that....   he just misused the term ‘citizen’.... and meant ‘resident’... 

a fairly common mistake people make when using terms they wouldn’t use on a daily basis. 

Who doesn't make mistakes, doesn't make anything

11 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Wow that’s about as xenophobic as it gets. Thankfully I have self respect and will always fight discrimination of any kind.

Do you actually know what xenophobic means?  How is my understanding of the Thai position xenophobic?  'Discrimination' does not, in itself ,have to be a negative. I discriminate against certain foods, certain entertainment venues, certain airlines, and yes, certain countries.  We all do this.  Its neither racist nor a negative; its a choice. Do you fight against my right to shop at Big C and not Lotus?

From the Oxford Dictionary, its secondary meaning: 

recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, soi3eddie said:

Easy. Don't go. They don't want you (just your money). 

Now going up to enjoy my rooftop pool with views over the city (free of charge too) ????

There's no common charges at your condo? If so that's great.  More often than not there is a fee.  I wonder how you would feel if you found out your Thai neighbors paid less for common charges than you.  I wonder how you would feel if the fees went up only for you every year and there was no one to complain to about an obviously xenophobic unfair practice that singles you out because of your skin color.  I wonder how you would feel if 7-11 and Tesco and your hospital implemented a similar policy because the government didn't step in.  I wonder how you feel with a butt full of Vaseline.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Do you actually know what xenophobic means?  How is my understanding of the Thai position xenophobic?  'Discrimination' does not, in itself ,have to be a negative. I discriminate against certain foods, certain entertainment venues, certain airlines, and yes, certain countries.  We all do this.  Its neither racist nor a negative; its a choice. Do you fight against my right to shop at Big C and not Lotus?

From the Oxford Dictionary, its secondary meaning: 

recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

I think you’ve become mixed up between discrimination and making a choice. 

In this context discrimination is to make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people. When this discrimination is based on a dislike or prejudice against people from a different country it is Xenophobia

Its not quite the same as choosing Fruit-loops over cornflakes.

The discrimination and Xenophobia exampled with dual pricing is not racist, but it is negative, it is a form of prejudice whether the extra charge is 5 baht or 50,000 baht.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think you’ve become mixed up between discrimination and making a choice. 

In this context discrimination is to make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people. When this discrimination is based on a dislike or prejudice against people from a different country it is Xenophobia

Its not quite the same as choosing Fruit-loops over cornflakes.

The discrimination and Xenophobia exampled with dual pricing is not racist, but it is negative, it is a form of prejudice whether the extra charge is 5 baht or 50,000 baht.

As I quoted, The Oxford Dictionary would not agree with such a limited definition, but you know best I am sure 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

As I quoted, The Oxford Dictionary would not agree with such a limited definition, but you know best I am sure 

Then you have failed at a basic elementary level.... You will now have to look up the word ‘context’...

In the context of dual pricing, discrimination does not mean making fine choices through ‘discriminating’ judgement.... 

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then you have failed at a basic elementary level.... You will now have to look up the word ‘context’...

In the context of dual pricing, discrimination does not mean making fine choices through ‘discriminating’ judgement.... 

I refer you to the post that I was replying to, where the poster, in attacking me,  says he  fights discrimination of all kinds.  His context, in criticizing  my stance, is all encompassing . 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I refer you to the post that I was replying to, where the poster, in attacking me,  says he  fights discrimination of all kinds.  His context, in criticizing  my stance, is all encompassing . 

And that was out of context...  when Fairynuff writes ‘he’ll fight discrimination of any kind’  he is referring to prejudice... not the freedom to make a discerning choice between fruit loops and cornflakes !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 2

On 3/22/2023 at 12:32 PM, connda said:

Find a different pool.  Otherwise, you're stuck with the discriminatory pricing as even the Thai justice system has ruled that price discrimination is perfectly Ok.  What con you do other than boycott. The more 'foreigners' you can get to boycott, the more leverage you'll have.
Discrimination is amoral and unjust.  Welcome to Thailand.

Double...sorry 10x the price of Thais yes I hate it also I travel a lot with my family.wife 40 baht me 400 at some places but nothing we can do ..moan and pay ..this is Thailand. Their rules eh 

• Thumbs Up 1

I always swam in Chiang Mai

My price was 60 baht per Thai price was 20 baht per

Always talked with a nice older Thai man as we waited for pool to open in morning for laps

We talked about it once & he was surprised by it.

But yeah as others have said...None ever accused Thailand of being fair in these matters &

if you have thin skin about these things best just vote with your feet

Folks don't really realize it but, if ever something really goes south in Thailand ....Your last if in line at all.

Look back at the fairly small example at the start of Covid when many restaurants would not even allow foreigners in

Or Anutins comments back then

Banks? Good luck if ever they did collapse & the Thai insurance of 1 million baht was called on

Imagine the line & where foreigners would be in those lines

Not saying it is a deal killer but eyes wide open & decide...don't complain like this now or then as this is about how it always was

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, topswijaya said:

How to handle this unfair dual-pricing swimming pool?

By what system of thinking is it unfair?  Global wealth inequality is based mostly on where you were lucky enough to be born. I see nothing unfair about asking foreigners wealthy enough to live abroad to pitch in a few extra baht to support the Lumpini YOUTH center which is supported at least in part by Thai taxes.

All the whining about how unfair Thailand is to we guests is beyond ridiculous. Unless we pay taxes in Thailand - we should all stop complaining!

You have two choices swim or not ????

The amount is very small. I pay ฿3200/month for Virgin Active. But the short 1:30 time limit would annoy me even foe the thai price. It doesn’t bother me so much that they would charge me more as a foreigner, but that often dual price is for whites. Other skin color thai price, maybe not here cause you have to register. Ko Phi Phi ferry ฿200 for locals. Supposed to be ฿450 for others, but applied to white foreigners only

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wuvu2 said:

By what system of thinking is it unfair?  Global wealth inequality is based mostly on where you were lucky enough to be born. I see nothing unfair about asking foreigners wealthy enough to live abroad to pitch in a few extra baht to support the Lumpini YOUTH center which is supported at least in part by Thai taxes.

All the whining about how unfair Thailand is to we guests is beyond ridiculous. Unless we pay taxes in Thailand - we should all stop complaining!

You have two choices swim or not ????

Some of my Thai friends are far far wealthier than I.... ( big houses, multiple exotic cars etc )....   Should they pay this elevated rate because they are wealthier ???

I have paid far more in Tax in Thailand than my Wife and many ‘other’ Thai’s I know... So my Tax has covered this, no ?

This is the issue with dual pricing - its just discriminatory and when someone such as yourself comes along thinking they are ‘being fair’ all they do is gloss over the discrimination with flawed justification for policies which are nothing other than ‘discriminatory’ and wrong.

Edited by richard_smith237

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some of my Thai friends are far far wealthier than I.... ( big houses, multiple exotic cars etc )....   Should they pay this elevated rate because they are wealthier ???

I have paid far more in Tax in Thailand than my Wife and many ‘other’ Thai’s I know... So my Tax has covered this, no ?

This is the issue with dual pricing - its just discriminatory and when someone such as yourself comes along thinking they are ‘being fair’ all they do is gloss over the discrimination with flawed justification for policies which are nothing other than ‘discriminatory’ and wrong.

With so much "discriminatory and wrong" causing real suffering in the world, if being asked for a few extra baht at the YOUTH center is where you've decided to focus your cry for social justice....um ya ok...rant on ???? 

Edited by Wuvu2