Uganda parliament passes bill to jail gay people

Social Media

Uganda's parliament has passed a bill which would criminalise people who identify as gay, or a sexual minority.

Individuals could face lengthy prison terms if the bill is signed into law by President Yoweri Museveni.

Under the proposed legislation, friends, family and members of the community would have a duty to report individuals in same-sex relationships to the authorities.

Homosexual acts are already illegal in the east African country.

But the bill seeks to go further and criminalise people on the basis of their sexual identity.

The bill, which was first tabled earlier this month, passed with widespread support in Uganda's parliament on Tuesday.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Right so Colonial Administrations did or did not promulgate laws against homosexuality?

I don't think it was much of a priority to them. The British weren't expecting to convert the religious followings of entire populations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes, that country is Uganda.

The topic is, what’s going on in…… Uganda.

You might know if you had been there, at least no rainbow flags or gay pride nonsense there

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

This thread is not about attempts to force 'propaganda' on anyone; rather it's about a country legislating to jail people simply for existing. 

Actually. it is not " about a country legislating to jail people simply for existing.", to be honest, it's about a country legislating to jail people for particular behaviors. 

To be clear, I do not support the legislation, nor am I excusing it, but it is what it is. 

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hopefully some posters will now divert their opprobrium from western countries that permit homosexuality ( and even protect it in law ) to those countries that are violently opposed to it.

That reminds me, I must renew my gay permit.  ???? 

I see what you're trying to get at but on the day that an independent enquiry released a scathing report on institutionalised  homophobia in the U.K. Met. Police I'm afraid my opprobrium remains.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually. it is not " about a country legislating to jail people simply for existing.", to be honest, it's about a country legislating to jail people for particular behaviors. 

To be clear, I do not support the legislation, nor am I excusing it, but it is what it is. 

Musa Ecweru has stated explicitly that he will make sure that "...there will be no space for homosexuals in Uganda."  

• Like 2