UK Passport Renewal

My UK passport expires in about a year. If I start organising its renewal now, will the new one have an expiry date based on when it is issued or will it be based on when the current one expires?

Edited by lelapin

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If you apply directly with uk passport office now last I remember was they allow up to 11 months. 

Can one apply 'directly' from Thailand? If so , how please.

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

They stopped adding on unexpired time (which was up to 9, not 11 months) two or three years ago. A new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

I was never told that mind you I never read the junk mail that come back with stuff.

Yes my new nice Blue one issued lost me 3months but it was during covid time so no big deal.

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I used an agent but I've seen posts on here from guys that have applied on-line.

Does it not only apply if you have UK residence? They will send your new PP to a UK address, but not to here.

Just now, KannikaP said:

Does it not only apply if you have UK residence? They will send your new PP to a UK address, but not to here.

I don't know you can message the UK passport office I believe or look for info on their uk website. 

I used an agent Key-visa sent them by EMS downloaded forms and a filled out a pay by visa credit card form. Sent old Passport after taking copies of it with new passport photos.

When passport ready pay Key-visa and they send to your home address by EMS your new passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I used an agent Key-visa sent them by EMS downloaded forms and a filled out a pay by visa credit card form. Sent old Passport after taking copies of it with new passport photos.

So that was NOT going direct? What was Key Visa cost please?

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Correct.

Regarding the validity date of 10 years max, it does mean that you have to keep a weather eye on your annual extension renewal with Thai Immigration and seasoning your bank account, etc. For example, my latest passport will expire on 2nd January 2030, my annual extension date is in February. So when I apply in Feb 2029, I will lose nearly 2 months of extension, and have to make sure that my bank account is topped up to the 800k (if I've spent any of it) in October. In practice I'm not really bothered as I will probably be dead by then, but it's the sort of thing that catches some people out.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No Key-visa did all the work for 5000 baht. 

That worked out cheaper than me going backwards and forwards to Bangkok a place I detest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

12K about 3 years ago.

Includes the £125 fee for a 48 page passport.

Saves 2 trips to VFS in BKK so well worth it IMO.

Are Key visa still operating after the death of their owner Darren, i don't know?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How long did they keep your passport?

The old one is returned with the new one with the corner cut off if you request it.

I've always kept my old ones just incase the tax man ever chases me anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How long did they keep your passport?

They keep the old passport until the new one comes as they need it to pick up the new passport when it gets to Thailand.

They will sent it back to you if you need it as they did me, i needed to show immigration i was applying for new passport right at the time covid started to go silly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Technically you can apply for renewal at anytime prior to it expiring.

Yeah renewals would still be say a year to go in most cases of your living abroad, while I've been here I've applied at 6 months to go, I believe if you're going anywhere you should have at least 8 months of value in your passport. 

• Like 1