Kawasaki introduces 2 new 400s at the Bangkok motor show.

Issanman

7 minutes ago, sniggie said:

I don't like seeing Kawasaki and 400 in the same sentence. For a moment I think that they are bringing back the KH. Then I come to my senses.

Yes to bring 2 stokes is out of the question.

3 minutes ago, sniggie said:

At least I have my Victor 150 here, Not in the same league but makes the right noises,

I find 2 stokes a horrible irritating noise,  nothing like the deep roar of a screamer 4 stroke which is music..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Anyone remember the two-stroke Kawasaki 500 triple? Quite a bike for it's day. 

Don't you mean the 750 so good for fun intermediate acceleration but still only a 120mph top speed same as the CB750 a much better engine and bike. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Be looking forward to looking at the spec on the ZX-4R and it's weight.

ZX-4R specs:

ZX4Rc.jpg.6e178d829d600ca0e00a5069e7896c49.jpg

ZX4Ra.jpg.2cbf17ecabc44240afe692437d0c8b06.jpg

ZX4Rd.jpg.90deecfe870f6be1020b4495a0c6d2a6.jpg

Redline is reported to be over 15000rpm.

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Issanman said:

Ninja ZX-4R four cylinder. 

ninjazx4r-2023-green-01.jpg.10fe125628f6d41cf0f61af59590ec4b.jpg

15,000 RPM, 75HP, 320,000THB I like it!

I will definitely have a look at that thing.

I have to admit it does not really make sense for me in the middle of Bangkok. But I am sure it will be a lot of fun. And 15,000 RPM screeeeeeeming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Issanman said:

ZX-4R specs:

ZX4Rc.jpg.6e178d829d600ca0e00a5069e7896c49.jpg

ZX4Ra.jpg.2cbf17ecabc44240afe692437d0c8b06.jpg

ZX4Rd.jpg.90deecfe870f6be1020b4495a0c6d2a6.jpg

Redline is reported to be over 15000rpm.

Lot of weight for a small bike always Kawasaki's kinda not care thing but nice Kawasaki red line sound I would like though. ????

• Like 1

I was surprised to see the ZX-4R - that's a nice looking bike, apart from the can.

When I was younger i had a CBR400RR NC29 and then I treated myself to a brand new RVF400 NC35 and considered it to be the perfect bike for the sort of riding I did - the "A" roads of southern England and a few track days. However, that was back in the last century and I thought that the 400 race replica class had died, either through a change in licencing legislation in Japan or simply changing fashions.

I agree that 188kg seems extremely heavy - it doesn't look it! The RVF was 165kg (claimed).

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure that 2-strokes are illegal per se, but more the fact that they simply cannot be made to comply with the emission standards of most countries.

Honda realised that the writing was on the wall back in 2008 and stopped making them.

7 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Nope. This one:

image.png.d474e6ed6aa8da4b3dbaacc303865af1.png

From memory the 500 was far more popular as it was manageable - apparently, the 750 was suicidal.

(My 250 twin had identical styling to this photo - just a different colour.)

Edited by London Lowf
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I was surprised to see the ZX-4R - that's a nice looking bike, apart from the can.

When I was younger i had a CBR400RR NC29 and then I treated myself to a brand new RVF400 NC35 and considered it to be the perfect bike for the sort of riding I did - the "A" roads of southern England and a few track days. However, that was back in the last century and I thought that the 400 race replica class had died, either through a change in licencing legislation in Japan or simply changing fashions.

I agree that 188kg seems extremely heavy - it doesn't look it! The RVF was 165kg (claimed).

I had a VFR400 NC30 in Bangkok for a couple of years. I loved that bike.

But maybe 7 years ago I sold it because it was impossible to get spare parts.

Until now I didn't buy a bike like that again because nothing new like that existed anymore (at least as far as I know).

I love the screaming sound so 4 cylinder high ref is what I wanted.

600cc or even more is too much for Bankok, I just don't need it.

Kawasaki introduced the little 250cc 4 cylinder a few years ago. It looked interesting. But maybe a little small for a not so small farang.

Now the new 400cc is pretty much what I was hoping for. I don't know if about 20kg more than the VFR400 makes a difference. 

Years ago, I visited Kawasaki in Bangkok and they let me test ride a bike in their parking lot. Maybe that is still a possibility. It should give me a first impression if the bike is similar to the VFR, including riding position.

Let's see.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I'm not sure that 2-strokes are illegal per se, but more the fact that they simply cannot be made to comply with the emission standards of most countries.

Honda realised that the writing was on the wall back in 2008 and stopped making them.

I saw a video about a modern KTM 2-stroke with fuel and oil injection. It seems the new injection system makes sure there is never too much oil which would end up coming out of the exhaust.

But I would be surprised if there would be enough interest to make this a popular choice.

320k THB is not cheap but 40k for green color? <deleted>?

I'm sure it'll be a fun bike just missing torque. At this price it has to compete against the CBR650R and R7 which both kinda beat it imho. A bit too little too late from Kawa. Same regarding the Rebel copy eh competitor. ????

If it lands on the second hand market for 150-200k a few years down the line it'll be worth a look.

These low-cc four cylinder bikes can be fun but are they selling? I really don't see any CBR250RR or the Kawa equivalent in the wild. Most people can only afford one bike so why go for these when the same money can buy you a bigger one?

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

320k THB is not cheap but 40k for green color? <deleted>?

I'm sure it'll be a fun bike just missing torque. At this price it has to compete against the CBR650R and R7 which both kinda beat it imho. A bit too little too late from Kawa. Same regarding the Rebel copy eh competitor. ????

If it lands on the second hand market for 150-200k a few years down the line it'll be worth a look.

These low-cc four cylinder bikes can be fun but are they selling? I really don't see any CBR250RR or the Kawa equivalent in the wild. Most people can only afford one bike so why go for these when the same money can buy you a bigger one?

Maybe not Thailand but other countries think Insurance.

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe not Thailand but other countries think Insurance.

Good point, didn't consider that. I think Japan especially had some 400cc cut off regarding some regulations iirc. But I think with the advent of electric bikes all these laws will move away from cc because it just doesn't make sense - better to use kW. And insurance will also all move towards that.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

H1 and 750 H2 rode both back in the day nasty noisy stinkwheels with hinges in the frame  terrible on bends  and the old Nylon Jap 70s tyres lethal in the wet,, Love my Z900 though

Edited by roo860
Deleted