What breed of dog is best security to protect ones house in Thailand?

On 3/25/2023 at 8:40 AM, phetpeter said:

Bangkaew, ours is 7 years old now, friends with the neighbours and their kids, has her area she takes care of, doesn't bark, except to greet the dustbin and delivery men. lives in the garden. has a special bark call when confronting snakes, which she dispaches quickly. and is loyal, calm and a member of our family.

Hi. If I have a bangkaew and then go away for a long weekend and ask a friend to feed him.... will my friend be able to go inside and feed the beast or only if the dog knows my mate? thanks

• Haha 2

Just got through first page, so excuse me if everything is said from before.

How much experience do you have with training dogs? If non, soi dogs is all you need. They are territorial and will bark if someone gets close. And also bark at anything.

Guardian dog is not just a porch dog, it is your best friend, following you everywhere, if you train it right. But if you have no time or patience to do so, do not think about it.

No pit bull turn on you, or anyone else if you treat them right.

If you train them to be killers, treat them bad,  and feed them with anabolic steroids, yes they can snap. They are loving dogs, but treat them wrong,, they can turn out dangerous

No dog is best for security. Thieves know all the tricks on getting into ones property. I had 2 dogs, irrespective of breed, and both were poisoned prior to burglars gaining entry into my house and removing the safe. To gain entry into the safe they pealed the back off. Luckily for us the safe was empty of any money and documents. No loss really.  The safe was found by workers some 80km away in a tapioca field, contents thrown around.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Probably. When I had them as kids it was only hot in the daytime during summer. I can’t have pets due to our lifestyles

Get an aquarium. 

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ever heard of cloud storage?

I tried to get a few clouds into my garden shed, but it got too difficult, and not many around.

But seriously, what good will storing camera footage (not the correct word these days) in the Cloud if someone broke into your home yesterday?

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Love em. 

But the shedding

Unknown.jpeg

I could probably knit a sweater for this guy from what my Bangkaew has shed recently.....

I saw and petted a Siberian Husky a guy was walking today.... From the look & feel of his fur it's possible it has never seen a comb or brush ... A gorgeous dog....

13 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I could probably knit a sweater for this guy from what my Bangkaew has shed recently.....

I saw and petted a Siberian Husky a guy was walking today.... From the look & feel of his fur it's possible it has never seen a comb or brush ... A gorgeous dog....

I had an Akita here for 12 years, beautiful and a great dog, but when it lost it's winter coat every year it was a nightmare.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife has "a come along dog" she came as a pup to her.

It is a mix and jeepers a really lovely dog, but she guards anything, always with wife when on land.

When wife is in house then in guard mode in front of house, with amazing good ears, no sound escapes her. 

Can find a cat in the evening in the tree or a cobra in the house. Amazing lovely dog.

image.thumb.png.de7f747d586dd9bef0b852d26a8c662b.png

image.thumb.png.5fd40783ddbda98220a2818612428c75.png

Common guard position, ears up and watching.

Another dog popped up at her house, a young male, also a mix. But he is more free and sometimes roams off, but always come back.

They get along good with each other, but the female is boss. She also teaches him. Didnt meet him yet.

And no they dont do, female is neutralized.

image.thumb.png.dca58ef84067db50ae48039e750d687b.png

What breed you want? You can easily do a pup, mix from the street and can be worth a lot.

• Agree 1

On 3/24/2024 at 6:11 AM, advancebooking said:

Hi. If I have a bangkaew and then go away for a long weekend and ask a friend to feed him.... will my friend be able to go inside and feed the beast or only if the dog knows my mate? thanks

It is all a matter of training, if you arent the leader of the pack, you could face problems.

SO yes , you should get friend acquainted with dog, as with ANY dog.

7 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is a mix and jeepers a really lovely dog, but she guards anything, always with wife when on land.

When wife is in house then in guard mode in front of house, with amazing good ears, no sound escapes her. 

Can find a cat in the evening in the tree or a cobra in the house. Amazing lovely dog.

Another dog popped up at her house, a young male, also a mix. But he is more free and sometimes roams off, but always come back.

They get along good with each other, but the female is boss. She also teaches him. Didnt meet him yet.

What breed you want? You can easily do a pup, mix from the street and can be worth a lot.

My Akita got quite a few snakes...

Best dogs come from nice pups you get free from nice people.

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You got Akita in Thailand? 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

You got Akita in Thailand? 

I had one yeah. My Japanese neighbor had several dogs, and brought the Akita back with him when he visited Japan. It did not get along with the other dogs and were looking for a dog (had just lost a Westie put to parvo) so his wife gave it to my wife. Pure white & gorgeous. I walked it around Siam Square a few times and it was a gash magnet! 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Akita, wow lovely dogs to see. SO now and them I see them in my area, the guy has 2 of them.

Edited by xtrnuno41

51 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Do you feed that light brown  dog or expect it to survive on scraps and snakes?

Looks too thin

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Or what about a Thai ridge back? People will think twice, only seeing the dog.

Thai Ridgeback: Dog Breed Characteristics & Care

Great dogs. Best choice here. Still miss mine. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's the coat that makes it look thin

Why does it have dirty long toenails?

Maybe be bothered to pay for proper grooming ? It will damage the dogs feet and cause pain. People who can’t be bothered to take proper care of their pets should not be allowed to keep them 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Do you feed that light brown  dog or expect it to survive on scraps and snakes?

Looks too thin

Yes she looks very thin, but she gets the dog food with high proteïne in it. When IM there, I always pick that .

I also told (yup forcing wife, but then it is a woman, depends on if she takes me serious) to have that food for her and not rice and other bs.

As she is very active I pick higher protein.

Always thought of what kind of dogs she would be, as she is standing on high legs as a whippet and has likewise body built.

SHe doesnt show any form of being sick, she eats normally and can run like the wind.

She out runs all dogs who want to play with her. You tell me, as she shows nothing of being sick, but real skinny?

Im open for suggestions on it.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I tried to get a few clouds into my garden shed, but it got too difficult, and not many around.

But seriously, what good will storing camera footage (not the correct word these days) in the Cloud if someone broke into your home yesterday?

Yeah, you could listen to the alarm that is included in the security system when it happens.