What breed of dog is best security to protect ones house in Thailand?

14 hours ago, anchadian said:

How about the domestic cat?

Their Meowing is not too loud and you can still hear them inside the house.

In fact i have often thought what noise was that, looked at the cat if looking asleep, ignore the noise if alert will be looking in direction of noise. Soi dogs are fine male or female, just try to get a puppy/young one from a shelter, so you can give it some basic training.

The Thai Ridgeback is tough and active, with an excellent jumping ability. He is highly intelligent, has a strong survival instinct, and is a loyal family dog.

The Thai Ridgeback is a muscular, medium-sized dog with a stream-lined body that makes him very agile and a natural athlete. The ridge on his back is formed by hair growing in the opposite direction from the rest of his coat and the breed has up to 8 different ridge patterns. Puppies can be born without this ridge. Coat colors include solid blue, black, red or fawn with a black mask occasionally on the red-coated dogs. Thai Ridgebacks also have spotted tongues and some even come with solid black/blue tongues. Today, most Ridgebacks are companion dogs, but they still maintain many of the same instincts for the jobs for which they were bred: hunting and guarding. They had to be independent, self-sufficient and hunt for their own food, which gave them strong survival instincts, a high prey drive, and a high level of intelligence. If well-bred and properly socialized, the Thai Ridgeback can be a loyal, loving pet. As a guarding breed, they are naturally protective of their home and can be reserved and suspicious with strangers. Thai Ridgebacks will need a patient, consistent, and experienced owner with a good understanding of dog behavior; they are not for first-time dog owners.

We've only had Dobermans here and they protect our home just as we expect them too. If you want a Doberman PM me and il put you on to the best breeder in Thailand that breeds the best imported European bloodlines. Maybe too expensive for you though. 

If cost is an issue then how about a Thai Bangkeaw? These are available from 5,000 to 20,000. 

13 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

The Thai dog breed Bang Kaew is probably the best domestic guard dog for you.  They are both loving [BUT - only have one master] and exceedingly territorial.

A pure bred [with pedigree and Bang Kaew Kennel Club registration] is going to set you back about 10,000 baht and they need looking after.  My Bang Kaew is excellent but has to have top quality food and is regularly checked by the vet.  Expensive - yes, but Thais are very, very wary of Bang Kaews and will not go near where they are.   

If you have one they will be a great deterrent but be aware that you do not let them loose outside your property.  Anyone attempting to access your property could be subject to attack - and they do not let go!

I agree. Bang Kaews are the best guard dogs I have ever had. You need to be a bit careful when friends visit. Bang Kaews don't like people they don't know. If you, sadly, don't like dogs consider geese. They make one hell of a noise when strangers appear.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, riclag said:

he neighbor who lives next to me has a chihuahua along with 6 other varieties of dogs .

5 is the maximum number of dogs allowed per property, so i have been told by local officials, when we lodged a complaint about our neighbors having 10! but they have 2 houses on the land, nothing can be done.  :crying:

I find this topic to be a bit racists,is it ok to be offended?

Serious now,Geese?In a home environment?Get real.

Yes i am fascinated by the two Thai dog breeds,one almost no fur and the other almost too much fur?

How did that develop?

Almost no dog without bite training will attack an intruder and what is an attack?

A normal house dog is only an alarm dog,it will not stop some one who is determined to get into your house.

Do not wear any gold,expensive watches or show off your wealth,be smart!

We have a lot of things delivered lately and we have a long drive way with a gate near the road.Our dog is trained to not go to the gate but wait about 80 meters away.Some delivery people will not even leave their vehicle when they see him.

Nearly all packages we get have a note written on it,

สุนัขกัด.

We had a Rottweiler in the old country and he was the kind that would bite first and ask questions later.He had been dead 5 years already and people would still call us before they would come over to ask to put the dog away.

Yes reputation goes a long way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

-german shephard- Too intense and full on. I will never forget visiting an ex gf back home several yrs ago and I jumped into the pool to get away from her GS and the crazy dog jumped in after me swimming after me and scratching me with its claws

A fully trained German Shepard is an excellent choice.  The dog you experience was not trained.  And untrained German Shepard is a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by connda

6 minutes ago, connda said:

A fully trained German Shepard is an excellent choice.  The dog you experience was not trained.  And untrained German Shepard is a disaster waiting to happen.

What is a fully trained dog capable off in your opinion?

19 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

We bought land and and will build a new house in a semi remote area. If Im planning ahead now, what breed of dog do you think is best to leave on the verandah everyday for security. Options to exclude would be:

Any dog that makes a lot of noise to put-off any would be invaders.

Dogs can be shot by invaders, what then?

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

5 is the maximum number of dogs allowed per property, so i have been told by local officials, when we lodged a complaint about our neighbors having 10! but they have 2 houses on the land, nothing can be done.  :crying:

5 is too much, they are all nothing but pests to other people. Sister in law on a Sansiri estate has a house nearby with over 30 dogs, the noise and stink are horrendous

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, proton said:

Dogs can be shot by invaders, what then?

5 is too much, they are all nothing but pests to other people. Sister in law on a Sansiri estate has a house nearby with over 30 dogs, the noise and stink are horrendous

She should report them to the relevant authorities, Elections coming up, talk to the Pu Yai Ban, They turned up on mass when my missus complained, except for one council official who is hoping to get further into his career.  I tried to open a discussion here on how many dogs should be allowed i.e. should it be relevant to the size of garden etc. no response.

The Mass coming to my house. Note my well behaved dog who only barked when they arrived but still on guard in his quite way. 

non of those vehicles are mine.

IMG_20230216_115217.jpg.d13532b0b4e89ad43c0d44604680163f.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

17 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

The Thai dog breed Bang Kaew is probably the best domestic guard dog for you.  They are both loving [BUT - only have one master] and exceedingly territorial.

A pure bred [with pedigree and Bang Kaew Kennel Club registration] is going to set you back about 10,000 baht and they need looking after.  My Bang Kaew is excellent but has to have top quality food and is regularly checked by the vet.  Expensive - yes, but Thais are very, very wary of Bang Kaews and will not go near where they are.   

If you have one they will be a great deterrent but be aware that you do not let them loose outside your property.  Anyone attempting to access your property could be subject to attack - and they do not let go!

We thought about a Bang Kaew after years of Dobermans and losing our latest one last year, but we decided to get another Doberman. 

18 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

If we have a 9 year old child will they be ok with kids? I assume if we buy one as a puppy and they get to know each other all should be ok? 

Ive never heard of this breed before. But sounds like a fine option. thanks

17 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

If your Bang Kaew is the first picture [brown and white] what a beautiful example of the breed.  They can be as soft and gentle as little lambs but woe betide anyone who upsets them or invades their territory.    

Many comments about this breed. Looks like a good option actually

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Seeall said:

I had 2 dobermans one after then next...  seems too stupid for this country.... one kept jumping out of the uts whilst tied up around the neck.. then chompped

a cobra in half.. which ended in 40 min.. kept hunting down thai dogs... I mean really going hard at them, would explode a small hut if it saw a dog trying to escape inside..

very strong (my 42 kg ex in heels asked me if she could walk it.. lol.. yeah right...)

where as the neibors soi dog, smallish apparently killed 5 comras in our street..... we have had cobras come up to the door as if looking for a ghap then go around to the next door...  not shy at all....

and the mechanics dog, look harmless...  you can walk around all the cars.. but come within 5 meters of the office door... watchout...  impressive.... indeed..

so in my view soi dogs rock....  think thre was some lady exporting them to sweden saying everyone should have one...

my soi dog is scared of snakes. I would hope to get a dog that attacks them. What about the bang kaew breed?