What breed of dog is best security to protect ones house in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

I love to eat pussy... some people like dick... if you do then I guess you are as disgusting as me or a dog. If not then you must have a very sad better half.

Humans in Thailand have mastered the bumgun - dogs have not.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Any dog that barks, whether territorial, or scared of it's own shadow.  Huge (you clean up after) or annoying little yappers.

None will 'protect' the house.  Steak with drugs or poison will handle any dog.

They are alarms only, and don't expect them to protect you.  Which is fine, a I'd hate to see one hurt/killed trying.

Just make your house look more secure and more hassle than your neighbor's.   They'll move on to the easiest target.   

We have wall & security cams, if that doesn't deter them ... oh well.   As long as we're not home, it can all be replaced.

I always leave a door or a window unlocked when not home.   I'd rather them just walk in, instead of 'breaking' in.  IF they are on the inside of the wall, they're coming in and got all day to do it, out of sight.

Interesting....  one ex Thai Gf said leave a few hundred THB on the table for the theif so he doent get <deleted> off.....  Another was the handyman shaking his head at the neibor cementing broken glas on top of the walls...  when I asked whats up he replied no good, theif will cut himself and get very angry........

I had 2 dobermans one after then next...  seems too stupid for this country.... one kept jumping out of the uts whilst tied up around the neck.. then chompped

a cobra in half.. which ended in 40 min.. kept hunting down thai dogs... I mean really going hard at them, would explode a small hut if it saw a dog trying to escape inside..

very strong (my 42 kg ex in heels asked me if she could walk it.. lol.. yeah right...)

where as the neibors soi dog, smallish apparently killed 5 comras in our street..... we have had cobras come up to the door as if looking for a ghap then go around to the next door...  not shy at all....

and the mechanics dog, look harmless...  you can walk around all the cars.. but come within 5 meters of the office door... watchout...  impressive.... indeed..

so in my view soi dogs rock....  think thre was some lady exporting them to sweden saying everyone should have one...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, proton said:

Surely camera's are better than yapping dogs these days?

Camera and security lights are waste of time we have them  on 2 properties ,,the burglars and cropo raiders ignore them  but dogs and guns are better , deterents and actually work

• Like 1

We personally dont have dogs in the moo baan ma(dog village )that we reside in but the neighbor who lives next to me has a chihuahua along with 6 other varieties of dogs .

I must admit none of his other small yappers can hold a dog bone to the chihuahua . 
Its mouth is on alert 24/7!

My friend also has them at his estate but his are trained to shut up after several hand claps!

Good luck hope this helps

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

With that attitude towards man's best friend you might be better off with a goat. Or, maybe a monitor lizard. I doubt that with your attitude any dog would want to jump on the sofa with you... you really don't strike me as a dog lover.

I feel bad for the dog that gets stuck with him no doubt providing the cheapest quality dog food as well.  My neighbor got a dog and promptly chained her to my perimeter wall. Feeds her junk and I found her water dish empty on the hottest days.  Now I supplement her diet with veggies and protein like salmon and bone broth and I ran a water line with a sprinkler timer on it so she gets fresh cool water every hour and I shampoo her and monitor her health.. Her owner could care less.  Some people.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cmjl said:

You don't say how much land you are going to build your house on but if it's practical for you I'd go with Crossy's last statement about geese,if you had a small flock including a gander you could eat the surplus eggs (and also have the occasional gosling for dinner!)

Great idea. Geese are very protective and make a good racket if anyone enters a property. The eggs are delicious too . They have interesting personalities and are funny as all-get-out as they waddle about with their long necks quacking. 

A few shirt haired Fox terriers might be an idea, say 3 or 4. They are very alert and as a pack will give an intruder what for should they come inside the gates. I

f you take care of them and train them, and give them some attention, just a little, they are great dogs. But, if neglected they can be a bit yappy/barkers.

Ya don't wanna be one of the neighbours who has barking dogs all day long goodness knows theres enough of those to tend with.

17 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Great idea. Geese are very protective and make a good racket if anyone enters a property. The eggs are delicious too . They have interesting personalities and are funny as all-get-out as they waddle about with their long necks quacking. 

A few shirt haired Fox terriers might be an idea, say 3 or 4. They are very alert and as a pack will give an intruder what for should they come inside the gates. I

f you take care of them and train them, and give them some attention, just a little, they are great dogs. But, if neglected they can be a bit yappy/barkers.

Ya don't wanna be one of the neighbours who has barking dogs all day long goodness knows theres enough of those to tend with.

Using Geese is not as daft as it may sound!

Ballantine’s Whisky Maturing Warehouses at Dumbuck near Dumbarton in Scotland have been using geese as guard animals since the 1950's:

geese.jpg.f8602074283144d6d9ed2bfcb1f6e323.jpg

15 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

We bought land and and will build a new house in a semi remote area. If Im planning ahead now, what breed of dog do you think is best to leave on the verandah everyday for security.

Large output audio system and dvd with barking dog.......connect to pir movement detector.

Save dog sh*t everywhere, saves on food and having to "walk the dog"....also saves on people sueing your ass when it bites someone, regardless if it is in your property lines or not.

You'll not win any populatity contest with ALL your Thai neighbours if if bails up only one and only one time.

Then it would be best to just move out.

Edited by bluejets