What breed of dog is best security to protect ones house in Thailand?

7 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

I feel bad for the dog that gets stuck with him no doubt providing the cheapest quality dog food as well.  My neighbor got a dog and promptly chained her to my perimeter wall. Feeds her junk and I found her water dish empty on the hottest days.  Now I supplement her diet with veggies and protein like salmon and bone broth and I ran a water line with a sprinkler timer on it so she gets fresh cool water every hour and I shampoo her and monitor her health.. Her owner could care less.  Some people.

Good on you. 

Twice a year people dump puppies on the govt land where I walk my dog everyday. Im the one feeding them and eventually people take them home. Happens heaps. 

Recently some idiot dumped his half dead ducks. I bought proper duck food and in 1 month they are fat and normal. The owner recently saw me feeding them and was surprised 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The Thai Ridgeback is tough and active, with an excellent jumping ability. He is highly intelligent, has a strong survival instinct, and is a loyal family dog.

The Thai Ridgeback is a muscular, medium-sized dog with a stream-lined body that makes him very agile and a natural athlete. The ridge on his back is formed by hair growing in the opposite direction from the rest of his coat and the breed has up to 8 different ridge patterns. Puppies can be born without this ridge. Coat colors include solid blue, black, red or fawn with a black mask occasionally on the red-coated dogs. Thai Ridgebacks also have spotted tongues and some even come with solid black/blue tongues. Today, most Ridgebacks are companion dogs, but they still maintain many of the same instincts for the jobs for which they were bred: hunting and guarding. They had to be independent, self-sufficient and hunt for their own food, which gave them strong survival instincts, a high prey drive, and a high level of intelligence. If well-bred and properly socialized, the Thai Ridgeback can be a loyal, loving pet. As a guarding breed, they are naturally protective of their home and can be reserved and suspicious with strangers. Thai Ridgebacks will need a patient, consistent, and experienced owner with a good understanding of dog behavior; they are not for first-time dog owners.

what are they like with snakes?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I agree. Bang Kaews are the best guard dogs I have ever had. You need to be a bit careful when friends visit. Bang Kaews don't like people they don't know. If you, sadly, don't like dogs consider geese. They make one hell of a noise when strangers appear.

18 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

The Thai dog breed Bang Kaew is probably the best domestic guard dog for you.  They are both loving [BUT - only have one master] and exceedingly territorial.

A pure bred [with pedigree and Bang Kaew Kennel Club registration] is going to set you back about 10,000 baht and they need looking after.  My Bang Kaew is excellent but has to have top quality food and is regularly checked by the vet.  Expensive - yes, but Thais are very, very wary of Bang Kaews and will not go near where they are.   

If you have one they will be a great deterrent but be aware that you do not let them loose outside your property.  Anyone attempting to access your property could be subject to attack - and they do not let go!

I would agree to that. One of our two dogs only looks like a Bang Kaew (colors of the fur) but every Thai is deadly scared of her. And the whole neighborhood thinks we have a Bang Kaew. And she barks  as soon as someone comes close to our gate. To think we picked her up 9 years ago in the woods around here....

And no, our dogs also are not allowed into the house and they know it.

54 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

The Ridgeback can snap into aggressive bite mode & can get more aggressive with age....My FIL has them and I trust them zero percent....

My youngest daughter has permanent facial scars from one of his ridgebacks - just rocked up and bit her straight on the face....

They apparently bond close during growth years....Anyone outside those formative years needs to beware.....

She was about 4 then ... Fortunately most of the scars follow her lip lines.....

Study up on this breed....As my FILs dogs aged they had to be quartered/penned off as they became very unpredictable.....

Edited by pgrahmm

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If you get dogs you need to responsible and take proper care of them. Food, training, Dr, visits..

Yep.  100% absolutely. And they need to shut up when you tell them to quiet down.  All 8 of my will. 

7 minutes ago, jvs said:

Ok,i see what you mean.

Not fully trained for me but it may be ok.

There use to be a guy who trained GS for home protection up here in Northern Thailand, but I can't find him now via a search (search engines are getting worse by the year).  You may want to try contacting a Thai kennel club and perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

1 hour ago, connda said:

There use to be a guy who trained GS for home protection up here in Northern Thailand, but I can't find him now via a search (search engines are getting worse by the year).  You may want to try contacting a Thai kennel club and perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

I have trained dogs for most of my life,tracking,obedience and bite work.

Had a few good ones and one great one that became famous as a police service dog.

What a good dog is to one may be a reject to another.

Imo there are no fully trained dogs,there is always more work and new methods.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested, around 3 weeks ago in a Chiang Mai FB group there was a family looking to re-home a 4 year old male Bangkaew....

They said people, kid, family, & cat friendly.....They were moving out of country....

It appeared to be a nice, healthy animal in the pics....

Unfortunately, I didn't save the info.....

BangKeaw, find people see her and go the other way, will not let anyone near the place but is a very affectionate baby around my wife and myself. Only trouble is we can have no one else outide the house/in the yard if she is outside the kennel area, they are very loyal to their owners but will not let anyone else near them, although once outside the yard on a leed going for a walk they are fine with everyone around them

198078835_230144765292122_5695720777076273494_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a Soidog adopted from a Dogshelter. Dingo breed, mid size 20 kg. Very posessive on his territory. Dingoes are very quite, normally not bark, but if, its serious! Last Month he catched a burglar jumped over the wall of my property..... not a pretty sight???? 

18 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

If anyone is interested, around 3 weeks ago in a Chiang Mai FB group there was a family looking to re-home a 4 year old male Bangkaew....

They said people, kid, family, & cat friendly.....They were moving out of country....

It appeared to be a nice, healthy animal in the pics....

Unfortunately, I didn't save the info.....

From what Ive read on this breed it sounds a terrible idea to take a 4 yr old  bangkaew. Typical hopeless thai family wanting to be rid of their dog. Not good for the dog either

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

I have a Soidog adopted from a Dogshelter. Dingo breed, mid size 20 kg. Very posessive on his territory. Dingoes are very quite, normally not bark, but if, its serious! Last Month he catched a burglar jumped over the wall of my property..... not a pretty sight???? 

if you have time please post a photo. Actually I would prefer a soi dog as you describe above. I can look out for the dog you describe if you post a photo thanks

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

From what Ive read on this breed it sounds a terrible idea to take a 4 yr old  bangkaew. Typical hopeless thai family wanting to be rid of their dog. Not good for the dog either

It is a farang family & this is their trained family pet they have to part with....Nothing indicated anything different....

Given the tone of the listing & the accompanying pictures I would have no trouble accepting it, and the dog on face value....

It's a nice looking/presented pup & I thought briefly about checking further.....

We just don't have the space to take in another....

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 8:00 PM, Shannoblic said:

I don't 'walk' my Bang Kaew.  We have a rai of enclosed landscaped garden which is plenty of room for him to run and play with out Miniature Pinscher.   

Our bangkaew loves going for walks and once outside the gate(one rai of land) on her leed she is fine, she also loves going for rides on the scooter, all depends how you raise them and their parentage. She will only allow my wife and myself inside our fenceline and to get close to her, she is very loving but the people we got her from were always able to go near her as well, also the vet is fine with her too, you just have to have those you want them to accept be around them a lot when they are puppies/young so they get to accept them but anyone coming into your land/yard needs to make sure they are locked up in their own area first. We have an 8 mtr by 4 mtr roofed and fenced area for our dogs and they stay in there apart from when we let them out to run etc a couple of times a day. Thais do not come anywhere near a bangkaew and when they see one they go the other way, their reputastion is enough to scare them off

198078835_230144765292122_5695720777076273494_n.jpg

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, seajae said:

She will only allow my wife and myself inside our fenceline and to get close to her,

So if we get this breed what do we do if we go away on holidays. Normally we arrange someone to feed and walk. But it sounds like this will not be possible unless the dog knows this person.     And if relatives come to stay do we have to lock it up in a caged area?

I like the sound of this breed but a few issues are presented

On 3/25/2023 at 2:26 AM, jvs said:

We had a Rottweiler in the old country and he was the kind that would bite first and ask questions later.He had been dead 5 years already and people would still call us before they would come over to ask to put the dog away.

Yes reputation goes a long way.

This is so true. We have 8 dogs, very shortly 9, but you should see how people's attitudes change when we mention 2 are Rottweilers. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:28 PM, ubonr1971 said:

Dogs lick their balls and butt hole in front of me. I will not allow that to snuggle up to me on the sofa or invite it to my bed. 

I have had several women who do the same thing.  I never thought of kicking them out. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

We have a police big wig down the street.....Harley, multiple cars....A big house & a walled property.....

He has 5 aggressive Chihuahua dogs patrolling the place & they make an ungodly amount of noise when anything gets near their gate....They have a couple of larger dogs that seem to keep a distance from the the Chihuahuas which I've dubbed the Rat Patrol....

• 3 weeks later...

I am a cate person, so even after a break-in I would not have a guard dog, and cats are no use.  They cna hear and sense intruders, but not frighten them away.

I fitted our house and wife's beauty shop with security cameras and outside with lights, motion sensors and an alarm,

made sure that plenty of neighbours knew what we had done.  Lights and alarm set off twice by false alarm (cat?)  Literally woke half the village and after that everybody, including potential thieves,  knew we had an alarm.  No more break-ins.  original installation cost more than a dog, but now cheap to run.

if we do get another break-in the security camera recording gives the police some evidence to identify the intruder.  In our village, it seemed that 'everybody' knew who has doing the break-ins, but had no evidence for the RTP to act on.

• 10 months later...
On 3/24/2023 at 7:20 PM, Yellowtail said:

The best watch-dog I ever had was an Akita. 

hi. May I ask about this breed of dog? Are they high maintenance? Or laid back? I would be giving them exercise morning and night but during the day left alone. Does this breed whinge all day or chilled? 

Good for security?

thanks