Anyone know a source for western sausage making ingredients in Thailand?

Kenny202

Long shot I know but I know there are a lot of western bakery supply shops. Specifically after rusk (I know how to make it myself but would rather not)

But some sausage seasoning mix etc would be interesting too. 

By the way ....not sure if its always been like this but no wonder anyone ever posts or replies here anymore. Stuck at the bottom of the extra forums which at first glance look like the IT forums. I been looking for ten minutes for the food in Thailand forum. Surely would be better off in general, or community forum. Food is a pretty important thing. According to Asean now Golf deserves it's own forum / sub forum..

anyhooooo......

Any help or leads appreciated

• Like 1

I have also been considering making my own sausages, especially Bratwurst of the Nuremberg variety. I have found some bratwurst of this type in Vila market marketed as Johnsonville brats which are pretty good but expensive. Now I need to find a vendor selling the skins.

Half on topic, sorry for that. When I travel up country, I go to SS Sausage in Naklua Pattaya for the best tasting regular bratwurst. Happens to be the same bratwurst that most hamburger booths around Pattaya purchase from.

Always fill a cooler box with this bratwurst, before heading North.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

I have also been considering making my own sausages, especially Bratwurst of the Nuremberg variety. I have found some bratwurst of this type in Vila market marketed as Johnsonville brats which are pretty good but expensive. Now I need to find a vendor selling the skins.

And for the OP. Lazada 

1 hour ago, Keep Right said:

especially Bratwurst of the Nuremberg

I love Nuremburg sausages and have been getting mine from Makro at a reasonable price. However , just lately not seen any around or they are out of stock. Even checked Lazada yesterday but gone from there too. They make a delicious sausage sandwich for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keep Right said:

If you want natural pork skins some of the pork sellers at your local markets keep them. they are cheap too. They sell them to people making Isaan sausages. Collagen manufactured cases available on Lazada from China and pretty good too 

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I spent an hour searching Lazada in different ways I couldn't find any rusk or seasoning? Have you seen some on there?

Kenny, have you tried making sausage without rusk, I find the sausages are better without it, I just make sure there is at least 20% fat included in the recipe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

No problem finding ingredients for UK  style sausages  just look in any rubbish bin and if you still haven't found anything to your "taste"  there is usually a bit of road kill lying around.  should be easy enough to cook up a taste of home lol.  

If the two options above fail to produce, it might be worth enquiring where MacDonald's source their ingredients from, as they seem to be able to produce identically disgusting food all over the world

And before anymore sad face emoticons appear I am from the UK and I know exactly what I am talking about

Obviously didn't live near a top quality local butcher, sure frozen supermarket stuff lacks quality 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Obviously didn't live near a top quality local butcher, sure frozen supermarket stuff lacks quality 

And if you are going to buy it from a "top quality local butcher"  expect to pay around the same price as steak, and you still wouldn't know what's really in them.  

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

One of the tastiest western sausages I ever tried is the cevapichichi, originally from the Balkan Region. I think you are from Oz, you may have tried it, it is very popular there.

Ingredients are easy to source and no skins required.

Cevapcici recipe : SBS Food

Yes, I do make them as well.

th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I have used Quaker oats (the quick, just add hot water type) instead of rusk and found they did a similar job of absorbing liquid and binding the sausage together.  Oats are good for the heart and reducing cholesterol so you can consider them a 'health food' sausage! ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Kenny, have you tried making sausage without rusk, I find the sausages are better without it, I just make sure there is at least 20% fat included in the recipe. 

To be honest mate can't remember. I did try lots of combinations a few years ago. I remember I did find it was much better grinding my own loin pork (very lean) and adding my own fat to be consistent. Just buying pork mince at Makro etc either way too fatty or way too lean. I might give it a try. I am after a nice firm but moist consistency. Many of the "best sausages you have ever tried here" usually mushy inside and if you cook them for a long time they get dry. I figured the rusk might give me the consistency I want

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

I have used Quaker oats (the quick, just add hot water type) instead of rusk and found they did a similar job of absorbing liquid and binding the sausage together.  Oats are good for the heart and reducing cholesterol so you can consider them a 'health food' sausage! ????

I heard oats were good. Rice is good too apparently early Western sausages was very common to use rice. 

I used panko breadcrumbs this time (2 cups per kilo). I do have a feeling it was the fat content of the meat though more than the binder

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

To be honest mate can't remember. I did try lots of combinations a few years ago. I remember I did find it was much better grinding my own loin pork (very lean) and adding my own fat to be consistent. Just buying pork mince at Makro etc either way too fatty or way too lean. I might give it a try. I am after a nice firm but moist consistency. Many of the "best sausages you have ever tried here" usually mushy inside and if you cook them for a long time they get dry. I figured the rusk might give me the consistency I want

I have tried making sausage with loin and fat but it is still too dry for me, so now I buy pork shoulder and use the 20% fat and they are so succulent, also make great burgers.

Anyone know a source for western sausage making ingredients in Thailand?

Lazada can supply whatever you need for sausage /salami  ingredients, 

But some come from China ,check when you order.

I get my Salami culture and sausage casings and other products from Lazada/Shopee/Aliexpress