O-A or O and ultimately get extension of stay (retirement)

I had O-A from London. On arrival in Thailand, I went to local Thai bank and showed them my 12 month visa and they gave me bank account. 

Later towards the end of the visa, I got extension of stay (retirement) from Immigration. In subsequent years, when the rules were changed, I got medical insurance.

So for me, O-A with subsequent extension of stay applications, works smoothly with Immigration. I keep 800,000 in the bank untouched.

However the reason for this post is a Thai lady is asking for advice on behalf of a farang friend, who may later become her boyfriend. He is over 50 and is retired. At present, he is resident in US. He wants to apply for a visa and then get extension of stay (retirement)

I have told her about O-A but people are always saying type O is better because you don’t need to show medical insurance to immigration when you apply for the extension of stay.

However I thought type O was valid for 3 months only so when he arrives in Thailand he won’t be able to open a Thai bank account. As I understand it, you have show that you have 12 month visa. Yes, I know people can spend 2-3 days walking around town visiting all the different banks until they find a bank who give an account.

If he doesn’t have a Thai bank account he can’t show Immigration he has had 800,000 in Thailand for at least two months.

The alternative is of course to turn up on a tourist visa and then pay a visa company to sort it out with Immigration with a brown envelope but I would rather give him advice on the proper way to do things.

Because I have not had problems with my O-A and subsequent applications I can lead a quiet life and I have lost touch, and have not read any posts, with this forum in a long long time. It used to be called ThaiVisa when I used to read it.

i don’t know this man, but I would like to give proper advice to him. At present, I can’t see that the type O is the best option. Maybe you don’t need to show health insurance, but you won’t be able to open a bank account.

Thank you for any helpful suggestions you can give me to pass on to him.

Edited by Ginger Tea

Recenly a similar thread was opened >

It might be useful for you to check it out.

I posted the below message there, and there were some responses of interest to it. Added also NOTE 3

= = =

When you meet the requirements to apply for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-county AND you have a Health-Insurance Policy that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, it could be worthwhile to apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa, provided you go at least once every 2 years to your home-country and during your stay there apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa.

The benefit of doing so is that:

1 - There is no need to keep any funds semi-permanently on a Thai personal bank-account (thus freeing up 800k/400K on your Thai bank-account);

2 - There is no need to visit an Imm Office during the 2-year period that the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you (this is literally so when you do your 90-day reports on-line). 

3 - The 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa is multiple-entry the first year (but you should only buy single-entry Re-Entry Permits in the 2nd year for your trips abroad, and REFRAIN from doing so for your return-trip to your home-country, thus 'killing' your current Permit to stay and being able to apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country).

NOTE 1: The above was my plan to stay in Thailand and avoid parking +800K semi-permanently on a Thai bank-account, but because of COVID restrictions at the time when I should have left to my home-country I was forced to switch to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

NOTE 2: The minimum coverage (and annual fee) for a Non Imm O-A compliant Health Insurance policy has been upped considerable in mean time. But if you opt for a Health Insurance policy to cover you while in Thailand, it will still be worthwhile to opt for one that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, in order to 'enjoy' the benefits of the Non Imm O-A Visa.

NOTE 3: PM me about the Health-Insurance options to ensure you get the most out of the Non Imm O-A when you opt for it.  But be aware that if you do not intend to visit your home-country at least once every 2 years (and re-apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa), that Dr Jack is correct and that entering Thailand Visa Exempt (or on a Tourist Visa) and then applying for the Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office is then the better option.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ginger Tea said:

i don’t know this man, but I would like to give proper advice to him. At present, I can’t see that the type O is the best option. Maybe you don’t need to show health insurance, but you won’t be able to open a bank account.

You can open a bank account on any type of entry.

Most banks require a residence certificate as proof of address and a recommendation.

The account should be opened locally.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Most banks require a residence certificate as proof of address and a recommendation.

Indeed.

The issue for CW (I realize only one immigration office) is that to issue a certificate of residence they require a 90 day report to have been made. 

Impossible for visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Recenly a similar thread was opened >

It might be useful for you to check it out.

I posted the below message there, and there were some responses of interest to it. Added also NOTE 3

= = =

When you meet the requirements to apply for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-county AND you have a Health-Insurance Policy that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, it could be worthwhile to apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa, provided you go at least once every 2 years to your home-country and during your stay there apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa.

The benefit of doing so is that:

1 - There is no need to keep any funds semi-permanently on a Thai personal bank-account (thus freeing up 800k/400K on your Thai bank-account);

2 - There is no need to visit an Imm Office during the 2-year period that the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you (this is literally so when you do your 90-day reports on-line). 

3 - The 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa is multiple-entry the first year (but you should only buy single-entry Re-Entry Permits in the 2nd year for your trips abroad, and REFRAIN from doing so for your return-trip to your home-country, thus 'killing' your current Permit to stay and being able to apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country).

NOTE 1: The above was my plan to stay in Thailand and avoid parking +800K semi-permanently on a Thai bank-account, but because of COVID restrictions at the time when I should have left to my home-country I was forced to switch to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

NOTE 2: The minimum coverage (and annual fee) for a Non Imm O-A compliant Health Insurance policy has been upped considerable in mean time. But if you opt for a Health Insurance policy to cover you while in Thailand, it will still be worthwhile to opt for one that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, in order to 'enjoy' the benefits of the Non Imm O-A Visa.

NOTE 3: PM me about the Health-Insurance options to ensure you get the most out of the Non Imm O-A when you opt for it.  But be aware that if you do not intend to visit your home-country at least once every 2 years (and re-apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa), that Dr Jack is correct and that entering Thailand Visa Exempt (or on a Tourist Visa) and then applying for the Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office is then the better option.

MANY folk that have killed off their non O-A by exiting Thailand and reenter Thailand visa exempt to obtain non O retirement and subsequent extensions would disagree with your non O-A suggestion. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

MANY folk that have killed off their non O-A by exiting Thailand and reenter Thailand visa exempt to obtain non O retirement and subsequent extensions would disagree with your non O-A suggestion. 

I agree that in +95% of cases that a Visa Exempt entry and subsequent extension will be the best option.

But the OP asked specifically about O-A vs O, and

- if you already have or opted for Health-Insurance that also meets the Non Imm O-A requirements,

AND

- you return to your home-country at least once every 2 years and then re-apply for a new Non Imm O-A

that that would be an attractive option if you do not mind the above minor hassle.

The benefits being that in such case you do NOT need to park any money semi-permanently on a Thai bank-account, and you only need to visit your Thai Imm Office for your 90-day reports (or do them on-line).

NOTE: I added that the OP should PM me re the health-insurance policy as there are some additional aspects to take into account when he considers the Non Imm O-A option. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Havefunme said:

That's what agents are for will get him a bank account and help him with his o visa after that doing extensions are easy 

better would be getting an agents for the bank account, if it proves impossible to do yourself, and do the conversion to the non O yourself

agents are only required for dodgy extensions etc, or if you are too lazy to do the work yourself

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is interesting and unfortunate about this is that in the old days you could get a residency affidavit from the US Embassy. I recently learned you can’t do this anymore. In my case, in 2017, I had my girlfriend come with me to Kasikorn bank to open an account. When they asked for residence she told them to use her address which, to my luck, they did use and opened my accounts which I have to this day. This was the first bank I went to and the usual story is that people search for days to find a bank to let you open an account. I had an OA for 6 years and now I have a pensioner LTR.

Edited by MPoll
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed.

The issue for CW (I realize only one immigration office) is that to issue a certificate of residence they require a 90 day report to have been made. 

Impossible for visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

In that case, a confirmation letter from your Embassy or obtaining a Yellow house book, would be an alternative, although more costly and more inconvenient.

I've noticed Thai banks have moved away from listing documents required to open an account for foreigners on their websites.

Bangkok Bank in particular, where I was informed rather than a single policy, now each branch can construct their own requirements to open an account for foreigners.

Times have certainly changed.

16 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

In that case, a confirmation letter from your Embassy or obtaining a Yellow house book, would be an alternative, although more costly and more inconvenient.

I've noticed Thai banks have moved away from listing documents required to open an account for foreigners on their websites.

Bangkok Bank in particular, where I was informed rather than a single policy, now each branch can construct their own requirements to open an account for foreigners.

Times have certainly changed.

ah that explains why I was given a ridiculous list of account-opening requirements at a BBL branch here in Bangkok the other day.

it was so onerous that my brain refused to look closely at it but one of the 4 items was something along the lines of a letter from somewhere, embassy maybe, advising the reason why you are wanting to open the account.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This is exactly what I am trying  to do right now. However, having returned from a border run visa exempt in order to invalidate my O-A visa, the IO (Koh Samui and Surat Thani) is now refusing to grant me a non-O visa stating that this can only be obtained outside Thailand. Obviously visa agents are willing to assist for a fee of 23-30k bath. Are there any other options?

21 minutes ago, Taccos said:

Are there any other options?

Samui immigration is a rubbish office.

They make up their own rules.

Some other office also point blank make rubbish up.

Think the dragon lady at Jomtien insists on 2 months dosh in bank when in fact it's only needed to be in bank on day of application.

You can obtain obtain a non O marriage or retirement from a visa exempt entry at most offices. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taccos said:

This is exactly what I am trying  to do right now. However, having returned from a border run visa exempt in order to invalidate my O-A visa, the IO (Koh Samui and Surat Thani) is now refusing to grant me a non-O visa stating that this can only be obtained outside Thailand. Obviously visa agents are willing to assist for a fee of 23-30k bath. Are there any other options?

If your rogue Koh Samui Imm Office is adamant in that you cannot apply there for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa from your Visa Exempt entry, there are only 3 options for you:

#1 - Apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate abroad (e.g. at a neighboring country - e.g. at the Savannakhet Consulate), and after your return to Thailand you would then be able to apply for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa.

#2 - Apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at a Thai Immigration Office in another province, but which would require that you do a change of address to that other province , and once that you got the Non Imm O Visa from the other province, then return to Samui, and do a change of address again to your original Samui address. 

#3 - Engage a Samui Visa agent to do get hold of the Non Imm O Visa for you. You can either make use of a 'fixer' agent in order to circumvent the +800K financial requirement, or engage an agent to simply help and represent you to get hold of the Non Imm O Visa.  Since you planned on applying yourself, you will most probably meet the financial requirements already, so it is just the hand-holding service that is needed from the Visa Agent.

> In your case I would strongly suggest to go for option #3, as that will be the cheapest option, since it will avoid you having to travel abroad or to another province to apply for the Non Imm O Visa.

Edited by Red Phoenix

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Couple of issues with that.

Not all embassies provide that service. 

Oz embassy being one (no surprise there) 

Second is that some embassies require an appointment.

Given that for some the reason to obtain bank account to facilitate obtaining a Non O ..time is of the essence.

In that situation (certainly in Bangkok) 4k to an agent is best option.

Note that most agents use Bangkok Bank.

That's ok as that bank is one of the only 3 banks that don't have ridiculous small limit in using WISE for transfers. 

Edited by DrJack54