Are you thinking of buying a BYD EV?

Many BYDs sold in China are PHEVs that is not the case with those sold here in Asia and Australasia. I have been unable to find any results for BYD car fires in Thailand, Aus or NZ. 
It is not clear in the video if the fires originated in the ICE

BYD blade batteries use a LiFePO4 chemistry which is inherently safer than lithium ion and is one of the reasons I chose LFP for my home batteries. 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

Up to 20 new ones on the BYD dealer's lot on the ring road in Udon Thani. Easily see 3 or 4 of them each day on my travels around town so they're very popular. Suggested getting an ATTO3 to Mrs NL but she's a reluctant adopter.

1 hour ago, macahoom said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Suggested getting an ATTO3 to Mrs NL but she's a reluctant adopter.

A test drive might do the trick.

Quite possibly. But then driving past their dealership may become as perilous as walking past a gold shop.

While it is fact the frequency of EV battery fires is lower than gas, the real problem is putting them out.

Fire-fighting crews can put out gas fires with foam or powder, even the car owner can put out a small fire with a powder-based extinguisher.

Batteries don't need oxygen to burn, they are stored energy. Putting water on them is the worst thing anyone can do, as the water reacts with the lithium in the battery to form hydrogen, a good recipe for an explosion.

• 5 months later...

Wife just test drove BYD Dolphin and was mildly impressed especially by 699k 1.8% price tag. She avoids buying Chinese cars but perhaps getting 8 years out of this car (warranty supposedly 8 years) is worth it even if it is completely unsellable after that. They also pay first year insurance premium.

Whatdoyathink?

Edited by Celsius

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Wife just test drived BYD Dolphin and was mildly impressed especially by 699k 1.8% price tag. She avoids buying Chinese cars but perhaps getting 8 years out of this car (warranty supposedly 8 years) is worth it even if it is completely not resellable after that. They also pay first year insurance premium.

Whatdoyathink?

Is that the battery is covered for 8 years, what about the motor and drive train....?  

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Is that the battery is covered for 8 years, what about the motor and drive train....?  

A quick Google reveals:

Car Insurance Type 1 for a period of 1 year.

8-Year or 160,000-km Car Warranty.

8-Year or 160,000-km Battery Warranty.

24-hour emergency roadside assistance services for 8 full years.

V-to-L electrical equipment extension cable.

Portable Charger.

Vehicle registration fee.

Shape-specific rubber fabric, license plate frame, screen protective film.

Free Home Charger Unit ready for installation.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, macahoom said:

A quick Google reveals:

Car Insurance Type 1 for a period of 1 year.

8-Year or 160,000-km Car Warranty.

8-Year or 160,000-km Battery Warranty.

24-hour emergency roadside assistance services for 8 full years.

V-to-L electrical equipment extension cable.

Portable Charger.

Vehicle registration fee.

Shape-specific rubber fabric, license plate frame, screen protective film.

Free Home Charger Unit ready for installation.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

If you can keep it within the 100,000 miles, sounds good...????

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Wife just test drived BYD Dolphin and was mildly impressed especially by 699k 1.8% price tag. She avoids buying Chinese cars but perhaps getting 8 years out of this car (warranty supposedly 8 years) is worth it even if it is completely not resellable after that. They also pay first year insurance premium.

Whatdoyathink?

If I am thinking of the right car the more expensive variant has longer range and is way quicker on the 0 to 100 kph time.  This cheaper one you are going to be sucking up the exhaust of diesel pickups every set of lights.  It's a bit of a snail.  

32 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

For MG EP+ 8,800 baht Roojai

Pointless quoting Insurance premiums as so many different factors the major one being capital insured i.e how much will the insurance company pay if your car is written off for a 2022 MG EP+ model roojai quote approx B480,000 

For a different make and model for car inital cost B1,300,000  I have seen a difference of capital as much as B200,000  between insurance company suggested by the brand versus company not suggested by the brand

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2023 at 12:56 PM, ozimoron said:

Because they will be mandatory soon.

They may be mandated for government vehicles. I can't see it happening for the whole population, because there simply isn't enough lithium available to supply the level of demand. The world would have to open up 10-20 new mines a year, for the next 20 years.

We will have ICE's around for quite a while yet, and they may get a new lease of life with hydrogen fuelling them.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 3:20 AM, DUNROAMIN said:

Does NCAP ratings include the integrity of the EV's electrical and battery system?

NCAP is for vehicles sold on the European market and built to European specs

for Vehicles in Asia look at ASEAN NCAP

New Car Assessment Program for Southeast Asian Countries (ASEAN NCAP), a new addition to the NCAP family, is targeted to elevate vehicle safety standards, raise consumer awareness and thus encourage a market for safer vehicles in the region.

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/

Just now, Lacessit said:

They may be mandated for government vehicles. I can't see it happening for the whole population, because there simply isn't enough lithium available to supply the level of demand. The world would have to open up 10-20 new mines a year, for the next 20 years.

We will have ICE's around for quite a while yet, and they may get a new lease of life with hydrogen fuelling them.

The US just discovered the world's largest lithium deposit worth trillions. Batteries won't use lithium for very long anyway.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The US just discovered the world's largest lithium deposit worth trillions. Batteries won't use lithium for very long anyway.

Do you know how long it takes to develop mining and processing infrastructure for any deposit?

What are you saying is an alternative battery material?

• Like 1

@Celsius If you put 20k kms on a year, we calculated we'll probably save over 460k baht, just on petrol cost, with our EV.

That's an accurate cost of MG ZS ICE version (we owned), vs our EV version, we own now.  Doesn't even include the oil changes (10k) & tune ups.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Pointless quoting Insurance premiums as so many different factors the major one being capital insured i.e how much will the insurance company pay if your car is written off for a 2022 MG EP+ model roojai quote approx B480,000 

For a different make and model for car inital cost B1,300,000  I have seen a difference of capital as much as B200,000  between insurance company suggested by the brand versus company not suggested by the brand

Our Roojai MG EP+ policy is for 610,000  sum insured at 8,800, they charged us an extra 56 baht to get the higher sum insured.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Do you know how long it takes to develop mining and processing infrastructure for any deposit?

Let me help you…

it doesn’t take 10 years as Reuters and others say. Musk does it in 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

19 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Lemons

When AN gives you lemons make lemonade, sorry I mean batteries

On 4/3/2023 at 9:22 AM, Henryford said:

Who would want one of these mobile flame throwers. Madness to own one. Look at the recent Youtube post by Serpentza.

I'd guess those who want the type of car that, statistically, is the least likely to burst into flames!...

On 4/3/2023 at 7:16 AM, macahoom said:

A study conducted by AutoInsuranceEZ using data from the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) showed that electric cars in the US caught fire at a rate of 25.1 per 100,000 sales compared to 1,530 for ICE vehicles and 3,475 for hybrids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@Celsius If you put 20k kms on a year, we calculated we'll probably save over 460k baht, just on petrol cost, with our EV.

That's an accurate cost of MG ZS ICE version (we owned), vs our EV version, we own now.  Doesn't even include the oil changes (10k) & tune ups.

Your MG ICE must have been a gas hog to come up with that calculated saving.

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Let me help you…

it doesn’t take 10 years as Reuters and others say. Musk does it in 2 years. 

Having worked in the mining industry, I can say with confidence it's 4-5 years. That's assuming the stuff being mined is reasonably innocuous, e.g. iron ore. With lithium, who knows?

For example, it took 8 years for the world's richest rare earth deposit, Mt Weld, to get from mining startup to final processing in Malaysia.

13 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Your MG ICE must have been a gas hog to come up with that calculated saving.

Staggering #s, but the #s don't lie.

Now someone tell me again, how much more expensive EVs are ????

14 kms per L/91 @ ฿40.5 baht today.

20k ÷ 14 kms = L X ฿40.5 = ฿57,857.14 X 8 yrs = ฿462,857

image.png.f4a4e634564b58252fd67d7e53e014ff.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1