How high is your blood pressure that you take medication

steveb5

What is the blood pressure range that medication is necessary. My blood pressure after a second reading averages about 135 but first reading sometimes around 145 average. My doctor a general doctor prescribed blood pressure medication because when I go to the hospital the pressure can go up to 150. So he prescribed medication for me. But I've been checking my blood pressure at home and its not bad 

He told me that the new standard is about 120 for a normal blood pressure. Anything over is considered hypertension. How high was your blood pressure that you were  prescribed  medication. I haven't taken the medication as I am still  checking my readings and I am not sure I need medication. Any thoughts? Also my cholesterol and sugar is very good

• Like 1

I was diagnosed with hypertension aged 35 - headaches, BP consistently over 140/90. It runs in the family my sister has it, and it contributed to my father's death at 45. With medication, currently Losartan 50mg, my BP is averaging 118/75 so far this year, it's been around 120/80 for years now, I take a reading once a week. I am overweight, though wasn't when diagnosed.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Losartan 50mg

Same for me. Roughly 40 baht per month for that dose and no side effects that I can tell. Thai doctor at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya took me off my UK atenolol prescription and changed it to cozaar / losartan. Said it was better for me, easier to buy here and cheaper.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If your BP at home, at rest, is averaging 140/85 it IS a problem and will over time harm your cardiovascular system

This is taken from my Microlife BP tester at home.

I am 78 and I normally test my BP 5 times in a row and use the median as the result. It can vary up or down a large amount at any one reading, so I simply take another reading.

Range                
Systolic       Diastolic    recommendation        
< 99              < 59           consult your doctor        
100 > 119       60 > 79     Self check        
120 > 129       80 > 84    Self check        
130 > 139       85 > 89    Consult your doctor        
140 > 159       90 > 99    Seek medical advice        
160 > 179     100 > 109   Seek medical advice        
> 180           > 110           Urgently seek medical advice        

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This has not been the standard for many years now.

Systolic BP between 130 - 139 and/or diastolic between 80 - 89 is Stage 1 Hypertension. Over 140 systolic and.or over 90 diastolic is Stage 2.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/understanding-blood-pressure-readings

As to whether to take medication for Stage 1 hypertension (which is what OP has, from his description) it depends on whether or not one is able to reduce the BP by other means (e.g.: sodium restriction, weight loss, exercise etc). If not, medication is advisable.

Well that's worrying, but apparently not to my hospital.  I'm on a prescription to lower my bp and they treat 130/90 as just fine.

I have always been lead to believe that it the lower number that you really have to worry about, is that the case Sheryl?

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What side effects are you guys getting from the BP medication?

I don't have any side effects from BP medication or any other, same with vaccination I had 4 Covid shots and 2 flu shots in 1 year no problems at all. My BP ranges from 110-75 to just over 120-80 pending on the time of day. Oh, I am 75.

Edited by still kicking
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Slip said:

Well that's worrying, but apparently not to my hospital.  I'm on a prescription to lower my bp and they treat 130/90 as just fine.

I have always been lead to believe that it the lower number that you really have to worry about, is that the case Sheryl?

I have heard that also, but, apparently the systolic number is what they focus on now.

I really don't know, this confusion is so annoying.

1 hour ago, steveb5 said:

Is the first reading more accurate or the second. Do you normally take more than one  reading.

I take 2 readings with 2 different machines.

Have you read my PM?

Edit: One of the machines I compared with the machine in the Hospital and there was only a minor difference

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Same for me. Roughly 40 baht per month for that dose and no side effects that I can tell. Thai doctor at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya took me off my UK atenolol prescription and changed it to cozaar / losartan. Said it was better for me, easier to buy here and cheaper.

40 Bht per month, I presume that's cost per tablet! 

I'm on Hyzaar, a combined losartan with diuretic, and  pay Bht1,050 for a box of 30 tablets.

13 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What side effects are you guys getting from the BP medication?

None. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

40 Bht per month, I presume that's cost per tablet! 

I'm on Hyzaar, a combined losartan with diuretic, and  pay Bht1,050 for a box of 30 tablets.

Just double checked. 40 baht per strip of 10, so 120 baht per month.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

From where!

PM me if you prefer.

Pretty much any local pharmacy. I mostly get mine from the mom and pop pharmacy a few 100 metres from my house.

Bear in mind that I take just losartan, no combined duiretic. That might explain at least some of the price discrepancy.

20230405_133513.jpg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Bear in mind that I take just losartan, no combined duiretic. That might explain at least some of the price discrepancy.

I've been taking the drug manufactured by Merck (MSD), now Organon, I hadn't realised there were generic's available - I don't think there were when I was first prescribed Hyzaar. Will need to ask my pharmacy what generic alternatives they have next time I order, even if that means taking as two tablets losartan plus hydrochlorothiazide.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

I've been taking the drug manufactured by Merck (MSD), now Organon, I hadn't realised there were generic's available - I don't think there were when I was first prescribed Hyzaar. Will need to ask my pharmacy what generic alternatives they have next time I order, even if that means taking as two tablets losartan plus hydrochlorothiazide.

Thanks.

Actualy just 1 1/2 tabs as the HCTZ dose is 12.5mg and lowest available is 25mg so you take 1/2. 

There are several local generic brands of Losartan. I mostly use the GPO brand . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The lower number is less "elastic" i.e. does not readily change in repsonse to temporary conditions. Whereas the upper number will go up whenever stressed, in pain, after a sneeze or cough etc etc

So in that sense a better measure

Thanks Sheryl, and to add to the databank my dose is amlopine 10 and anapril 5 daily.  As far as I know the only side effect is perhaps the dry cough, but may be unrelated.

Oh, and not sure on price, but not expensive by the box from the pharmacy.

Edited by Slip