Nicola Sturgeon's husband arrested in connection with SNP funding and finances investigation

onthedarkside

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Brexit - a never ending tragedy that will blight your country and mine for decades

You had no problem having a vote for independence in 2014 which meant you would have to leave the EU, don't you think that is hypocritical, or is that different. 

Your whole argument is based on blaming someone else for the SNPs mistakes, but this is about alleged missing monies for which Peter Murrell was responsible, don't you think that SNP members have a right to be peeved when the money they donated in good faith wasn't or appears hasn't been used for the purpose it was intended for. It is no wonder that the party is hemorrhaging its members in vast numbers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Why did you think that corruption (although he had been released without charge pending further enquiries) was the sole preserve of Westminster? I appreciate that the Tories are rotten to the core, but your country, unfortunately, isn't the only one blighted by corruption.

But again, as I have stated many times, the SNP is merely the vehicle to take us to independence. The end goal of freeing ourselves of the malevolent presence of the government of choice of the country next door is still very much in sight.

You're still way off the Tories - more conference league players.

Only yesterday :

A Conservative MP who reportedly offered to lobby ministers on behalf of the gambling industry and leak a confidential policy document for up to £4,000 a month has had the party whip suspended.....

More in the UK news..

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/05/rishi-sunak-facing-calls-suspend-whip-scott-benton

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11944137/Tory-MP-Scott-Benton-suspended-filmed-offering-lobby-ministers-fake-gambling-firm.html

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Wobblybob said:

You had no problem having a vote for independence in 2014 which meant you would have to leave the EU, don't you think that is hypocritical, or is that different. 

Your whole argument is based on blaming someone else for the SNPs mistakes, but this is about alleged missing monies for which Peter Murrell was responsible, don't you think that SNP members have a right to be peeved when the money they donated in good faith wasn't or appears hasn't been used for the purpose it was intended for. It is no wonder that the party is hemorrhaging its members in vast numbers. 

In 2014 the europhile credentials of the SNP were clear - an independent Scotland would seek admission to the EU subject to a referendum. It was Better Together that stated that the only way to remain in the EU was to remain in the UK.

I think you are misreading my posts. What I am saying is not that Westminster is responsible for SNP failures (although Westminster does set funding) but the argument that the SNP is a failure only works in context - and that context is Westminster, which has presided over a massive decline in living standards in England. The SNP may be bad - but the alternative, which repeated posters try to portray as being superior, is demonstrably worse.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

In 2014 the europhile credentials of the SNP were clear - an independent Scotland would seek admission to the EU subject to a referendum. It was Better Together that stated that the only way to remain in the EU was to remain in the UK.

I think you are misreading my posts. What I am saying is not that Westminster is responsible for SNP failures (although Westminster does set funding) but the argument that the SNP is a failure only works in context - and that context is Westminster, which has presided over a massive decline in living standards in England. The SNP may be bad - but the alternative, which repeated posters try to portray as being superior, is demonstrably worse.

But what you keep on avoiding is that most Scots want to remain within our Union (for the third time incidentally), so as much as you may want independence your fellow countrymen do not. You do not have an argument and on that note until this thread gets back on topic I will excuse myself. 

15 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

But what you keep on avoiding is that most Scots want to remain within our Union (for the third time incidentally), so as much as you may want independence your fellow countrymen do not. You do not have an argument and on that note until this thread gets back on topic I will excuse myself. 

Seeing as your are all over the place, I think you have made a wise choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Brexit - a never ending tragedy that will blight your country and mine for decades

Johnson - a domestic disaster and an international embarrassment

Truss and Kwarteng - we have common ground

Sunak - well his own tax stuff hasn't been too promising, and his MPs whoring themselves out left, right and centre is a bit disconcerting too.

But those are all my opinions - as yours are yours.

Incorrect. 

Brexit is on going. As is Sunak's tenure at the helm.  Neither are opinions. They are facts.

You are welcome to your opinions with regards to Boris.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Incorrect. 

Brexit is on going. As is Sunak's tenure at the helm.  Neither are opinions. They are facts.

You are welcome to your opinions with regards to Boris.

I am not disputing that brexit is ongoing or that Sunak is pm - both are demonstrable facts.

For example, the UK government was ecstatic this week at the signing of an Asian trade deal that will improve our economy by a whopping 0.08%. A few more of those and we will be in fine fettle.

However it's the relative merits of both brexit and Sunak that are debatable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh the irony.

I'm lovin' it.

Now perhaps they can find the evidence to arrest a few other political crooks that are still walking around.

Funny, you're singing a different tune when it's the left allegedly committing the fraud.

14 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You may or may not be correct, but I was responding to the comment that "it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke" - generally that statement really only makes sense if you have knowledge of the person, but Murrel is totally unknown to most people other than as a name.

Seriously? I've always known that it's sarcasm.

The free dictionary agrees with me. My bolding.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/couldn't+happen+to+a+nicer+guy

couldn't happen to a nicer (person)

Of an outcome, completely deserved by the person or people in question. Sometimes used sarcastically when referring to a negative event happening to an unpleasant person.

What, specifically, is the lie upon which independence was 'sold'?

I don't know about SNP membership. While most SNP supporters are in favour of independence, it is a nonsense to suggest that all independence supporters are positive about the SNP.

Scotland's NHS is in difficulty, but it is miles ahead of England's. However it is constrained by the confines of the UK - so thank God our health service is controlled from Edinburgh because I would hate it to be in as dire a state as our English neighbours have to endure.

Don't believe all the lies you read about Scotland being a basket case, destroyed by the SNP. Or, at least try a little critical thinking - if what you believe is true, ask yourself why the SNP have enjoyed so much support over the past 13 years.

The SNP are not perfect, and in an independent Scotland I would not vote for them, but (until now) they offered the best option to escape the dead weight that has caused so much harm to my country whilst systematically bleeding it dry.

In the week following Humza Yousaf’s election as Nicola Sturgeon’s successor as Leader of the Scottish National Party and First Minister of Scotland, Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest monthly Scottish independence referendum voting intention poll finds ‘no’ leading by 6%

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/scottish-independence-referendum-westminster-voting-intention-31-march-1-april-2023/

That was a week ago, would  imagine the number of no to independence would have risen due to the latest scandal at the very top of the SNP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Why did you think that corruption (although he had been released without charge pending further enquiries) was the sole preserve of Westminster? I appreciate that the Tories are rotten to the core, but your country, unfortunately, isn't the only one blighted by corruption.

Whataboutism.

19 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

But again, as I have stated many times, the SNP is merely the vehicle to take us to independence. The end goal of freeing ourselves of the malevolent presence of the government of choice of the country next door is still very much in sight.

You're kidding yourself. The people of Scotland don't want it as shown in the referendum of 2014 as well as in recent polls taken last month.

https://news.sky.com/story/snp-leadership-scottish-independence-support-at-just-39-poll-says-12832783

image.png.f81288f291a407054a11225f89b712d4.png

Your "vehicle" has broken down, it's been shown to be completely unroadworthy and the driver can't read a map. It's on the road to nowhere and will end up in a drainage ditch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously? I've always known that it's sarcasm.

The free dictionary agrees with me. My bolding.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/couldn't+happen+to+a+nicer+guy

couldn't happen to a nicer (person)

Of an outcome, completely deserved by the person or people in question. Sometimes used sarcastically when referring to a negative event happening to an unpleasant person.

Yes - but the essence is in the fact that it's 'completely deserved'. As most people, including myself, know incredibly little about Murrell so it's impossible to say whether it's deserved. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

In the week following Humza Yousaf’s election as Nicola Sturgeon’s successor as Leader of the Scottish National Party and First Minister of Scotland, Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest monthly Scottish independence referendum voting intention poll finds ‘no’ leading by 6%

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/scottish-independence-referendum-westminster-voting-intention-31-march-1-april-2023/

That was a week ago, would  imagine the number of no to independence would have risen due to the latest scandal at the very top of the SNP. 

Why? Independence is not the SNP; the SNP is not independence.

In the same period, the UK government has done nothing to make the UK look anything other than the corrupt, toxic drain on my country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

A corrupt politician surely not. It is alledged that the Police delayed the investigation until wee Krankie stepped down, naughty.

Yes I'm sure that even the inept SNP could shred every piece of evidence in the 3 weeks before the police raid. 

And yet the UK economy is rebounding from the challenges of Covid and the war in Ukraine very well.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/31/uk-avoids-recession-as-economy-stronger-than-first-thought-at-end-of-2022

image.png.e41f699eacf3c25bbb842457552faefd.png

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Henryford said:

A corrupt politician surely not. It is alledged that the Police delayed the investigation until wee Krankie stepped down, naughty.

The police are so in the pocket of the SNP that they turned up mob handed with a  forensics tent in the garden. 

If only the MET were as discrete and low key with Johnson when they sent him a questionnaire about whether he had been partying while he messed up his COVID response.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Police have seized an £110,000 motorhome from Peter Murrells 92 year old mothers house, be interesting to see how Boris Johnson or Westminster gets implicated in this one. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11952887/Fraud-police-probing-missing-funds-SNP-seize-motorhome-Nicola-Sturgeons-laws-drive.html

I would imagine that the Tories will continue to be mostly immune from any official scrutiny.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:46 PM, RuamRudy said:

You mean the SNP WAS the vehicle. This debacle isn't survivable, at least not in my (our?) lifetime.

Or was the £110,000 custom RV that the police seized from Sturgeon's mum's driveway their vehicle?

https://ukdaily.news/police-seize-luxury-rv-from-home-of-nicola-sturgeons-mother-in-law-433405.html

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, RuamRudy said:

The police are so in the pocket of the SNP that they turned up mob handed with a  forensics tent in the garden. 

If only the MET were as discrete and low key with Johnson when they sent him a questionnaire about whether he had been partying while he messed up his COVID response.

More whataboutery?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You mean the SNP WAS the vehicle. This debacle isn't survivable, at least not in my (our?) lifetime.

Or was the £110,000 custom RV that the police seized from Sturgeon's mum's driveway their vehicle?

https://ukdaily.news/police-seize-luxury-rv-from-home-of-nicola-sturgeons-mother-in-law-433405.html

Possibly you are correct - maybe the wheels are off the SNP charabanc but, as I said elsewhere, if one is predisposed to supporting independence, the union is not looking any less rancid than usual. It doesn't follow that turning from the SNP would drive people into the arms of either Tory or labour.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Possibly you are correct - maybe the wheels are off the SNP charabanc but, as I said elsewhere, if one is predisposed to supporting independence, the union is not looking any less rancid than usual. It doesn't follow that turning from the SNP would drive people into the arms of either Tory or labour.

Very, very true but isn't that what's called Hobson's Choice? Or is it more likely a case of the de'il ye know?