3BB speeds, how to accurately test?

grain

Had 3BB installed at our house in Korat recently. We have the 1gb/300 deal. So far I'm happy enough, everything I do if faster. But I've done numerous speed tests using different apps and they all show d/l speeds of 50mb/60mb/70mb, so where the hell is my other 900+? 

I don't understand, so is there a better way to test the speeds? We do live out in the boonies, so is that a factor? Or could something be wrong with the installation and we need to contact 3BB and have them come back out?

I have 3BB Fibre out in the jungle 35 kms from City centre. 1000/500 Gb/s. Get that most of the time as if it is ever needed. 

Make sure your PC network adapter is set to operate at 1Gb/s. And don't forget that if connecting via WiFi it will be considerably slower than connected with CAT/LAN cable.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 GB / 300 Mbps

What does it mean: you have a fiber connection to a 3BB internet switch with that speed.

Whether it is somewhat OK is tested by:

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

It requires a device/PC connected to the router by >cable<.

Don't expect anything close to 1GB via WiFi.

What you measured are "real life" connections to overseas servers or mirrors in the region (or tested via WiFi on a mobile?). A complete different and hard to compare task.

50/60/70 Mbps is completely ok for any interactive use (streaming video in highest quality e g.).

The 1 GB is mainly useful to supply multiple devices/users. For a single user it will rarely make any difference to a slower package.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

First you should download a proper speed testing software as the 3BB test is not reliable

Maybe you could elaborate what is unreliable about the 3BB speedtest.
It's a customized OOKLA speedtest to their test server in Bangkok.

For me it gives plausible results any time.

Currently 796 / 428. Not the ideal 1000 / 500 but I will surely not complain about it (also as I am not alone on the router).

Seems every user has his preferred speedtest.

To be able to compare all would need to use the same test to the same location.

E.g. OOKLA to "Frontier" Los Angeles:

140 / 81, ping 254 ms

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Let us know how you're connected to the router. WiFi or LAN? If WiFi with 2.4 or 5Ghz? If WiFi with a dongle then is this USB 2 or 3? If LAN is this the old 100 or the newer 1000 Gbps version? And in addition please post a picture of a speedtest result.

57 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Let us know how you're connected to the router. WiFi or LAN? If WiFi with 2.4 or 5Ghz? If WiFi with a dongle then is this USB 2 or 3? If LAN is this the old 100 or the newer 1000 Gbps version? And in addition please post a picture of a speedtest result.

wifi 2.4 no dongle but the router supplied by the 3BB installer a couple of weeks ago. Here's a pic of the test I just did. This is higher than other tests I've done recently.1191054595_Untitled2.jpg.25a1d34238c10ebca8084e25d410a07e.jpg

2 minutes ago, grain said:

wifi 2.4 no dongle but the router supplied by the 3BB installer a couple of weeks ago. Here's a pic of the test I just did. This is higher than other tests I've done recently.1191054595_Untitled2.jpg.25a1d34238c10ebca8084e25d410a07e.jpg

This is good enough for everything what you want to do on the Internet. Anything faster or even slower will not make any noticeable difference. 

But of course you want to get what you pay for. I don't know the model of your router. But in every router you can see the connection speed to the ISP. Here you can see the maximum you can get (theoretically). If this is much higher than your speedtest results then you should check the WiFi settings in your router. Is it set to at least n? Are there better channels? Is it set to wide (20 instead of often better 40)? 

23 minutes ago, grain said:

wifi 2.4 no dongle but the router supplied by the 3BB installer a couple of weeks ago. Here's a pic of the test I just did. This is higher than other tests I've done recently.

I get worse results with WiFi 2.4 GHz (about 50/50).

Much seems to depend on the quality of the mobile WiFi, signal strenght etc.

Your numbers look good for this kind of connection.

Whether you can tweak out more with 5 GHz might also depend on your neighborhood (many WiFi hotspots on the list?)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Whether you can tweak out more with 5 GHz might also depend on your neighborhood (many WiFi hotspots on the list?)

I don't understand what you are saying. The OP is talking about connecting to his own router via WiFi. So the neighbour hood and number of hotspots is immaterial.

Whoever put the SAD emoji, please explain.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

He should first check the connection speed down/up to the ISP in his router and let us know it. If this is much too slow for what he pays for he can talk to 3BB. I don't have his router (I use a SIM card router). So I can't send him screenshots how he can find this. But for sure here are users that might have the same model that he has and can help him. 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe you could elaborate what is unreliable about the 3BB speedtest.
It's a customized OOKLA speedtest to their test server in Bangkok.

For me it gives plausible results any time.

Currently 796 / 428. Not the ideal 1000 / 500 but I will surely not complain about it (also as I am not alone on the router).

Seems every user has his preferred speedtest.

To be able to compare all would need to use the same test to the same location.

E.g. OOKLA to "Frontier" Los Angeles:

140 / 81, ping 254 ms

unreliable = 2 x technicians visited my house trying to fix the speed issues, both times none of them used the 3BB speed test, thus if not good for them not good for me = unreliable

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Don't 3BB give you a decent wifi 6 router with their package. Connect with a decent CAT 6 cable to your PC. I never get a full 1 gbps but consistently 940 mbps. Best wifi to my phone is about 400 mbps.

wifi 6 router changed 3 times in the past year.... went back to the "old" model works well more stable

1 hour ago, grain said:

These are photos of what 3BB installed, the small black box that's plugged into the TV, and right outside, perhaps 2-3 meters away is the router. 

m_IMG_20230406_151428.jpg

m_IMG_20230406_151444.jpg

m_IMG_20230406_151540.jpg

m_IMG_20230406_151545.jpg

m_IMG_20230406_151634.jpg

m_IMG_20230406_151641.jpg

m_IMG_20230406_151649.jpg

That is a set top box which probably provides you with Thai TV.   Probably the same as the true ISP provides free with your Internet package.

I may be wrong, but i suspect it is a low end Chinese android limited to 100mbps speed.

The next thing to do is check your TV Lan speed specs.  Even some top end tvs only provide 100mbps when connected directly by Lan cable to the router.

So connecting your set top box to tv will still only give you 100mbps or less.

However if you connect an Android device with 1gb Lan speed, directly by hdmi to the TV, and then plug the Lan cable from the router to the Android set top box; and then do a speed test through ookla app on your Android device, you should get very close to your 1gb download speed.

I hope that is easy enough to follow.

• Like 1

I cannot see the model number of the Huawei router. Did you ever login? If you send me the model number I can look for the manual and perhaps show you where you find what. But perhaps someone has this router and can help you with screen shots. 

You have to see it this way. You have an external network (router to the ISP servers - 3BB) and an internal network (router with WiFi in your case, to your devices). The router will show you the connection speed to the ISP for down and uploads. This is the maximum speed it could theoretically provide. If this is to slow their could be a cable problem or a server problem and you can complain at 3BB. There is nothing else you can do. 

In respect of the internal network you can change the WiFi settings to a different connection mode like 802.11 n only. Or perhaps your router has even 5Ghz. You also should check that you have a good channel selected for your location. You can widen the 2.4 GHz channel often from 20 to 40 Mhz. You can look for a better router position - but obviously not in your case since 3BB did the installation. You can change the antenna position and look for a better signal. 

But in any case. With your speed of 50 to 90 Mbps you could simply lean back and enjoy the Internet. If you don't have many users at the same time you will not notice any difference most of the time. It is rare that you get download or upload servers that would give you such a high speed. But normally you have nothing to do with them. Recently I tested a 8 Mbps SIM. I was surprised that normal Internet usage was the same than with much faster connections. Only when it came to 4K videos on the TV it was too much for it. And at fast upload and download servers there was a difference. But the servers that I use mostly don't give you such high speeds anyway. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grain said:

These are photos of what 3BB installed, the small black box that's plugged into the TV, and right outside, perhaps 2-3 meters away is the router

have you got a proper pc or a laptop? you need to plug a 'network cable' from your 'proper computer' into one of the yellow sockets labelled LANx on the router to properly test the connection speed......capiche?

• Like 2