Ukraine War Plans Leak Prompts Pentagon Investigation

onthedarkside

image.png.c562503cb2379663ad48b25501570a84.png

WASHINGTON — Classified war documents detailing secret American and NATO plans for building up the Ukrainian military ahead of a planned offensive against Russia were posted this week on social media channels, senior Biden administration officials said.

The Pentagon is investigating who may have been behind the leak of the documents, which appeared on Twitter and on Telegram, a platform with more than half a billion users that is widely available in Russia.

Military analysts said the documents appear to have been modified in certain parts from their original format, overstating American estimates of Ukrainian war dead and understating estimates of Russian troops killed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/06/us/politics/ukraine-war-plan-russia.html

image.png.c1a1a24f267a45fec91148855d26935e.png

RED MORE (archive)

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Doesn't seem to be going well and watching France 24 today there's going to be decisions made on future gains or failures. 

What doesn't seem to be going well and what decisions on future gains/failures? 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What doesn't seem to be going well and what decisions on future gains/failures? 

France 24 were reporting today that Ukrainian recruitment is low because of the many losses on the front line and many are paying or finding ways not to be taken to front lines. 

Ukraine govt was saying they will see how there offensive will go before considering to start peace talks. 

The report will be on France 24 news channel all day or usually is. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

France 24 were reporting today that Ukrainian recruitment is low because of the many losses on the front line and many are paying or finding ways not to be taken to front lines. 

Ukraine govt was saying they will see how there offensive will go before considering to start peace talks. 

The report will be on France 24 news channel all day or usually is. 

Fell free to provide a link to that so I can then verify although I fail to see what its got to do with the topic.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 6:42 PM, SunnyinBangrak said:

So much for no provocation then. Imagine if Russia started building up the Cuban military. Just going to have to wait for Trump to negotiate peace, if the war hasn't already gone nukey by then. 

It happened in 1962, I imagine the threat of nukes would be the same as back then. 

59 minutes ago, pegman said:

It happened in 1962, I imagine the threat of nukes would be the same as back then. 

Likely worse. Nikita Khrushchev did not want war. Putting nukes in Cuba would save money for his many agricultural programs after military demands for missile development. [ref]

Putin is bat excrement crazy about nukes and power. [ref] Nuclear war is still unlikely though and there is no option other than defeating him in Ukraine. China today circled Taiwan with Naval and Air forces in an exercise. Rocks and hard places come to mind.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I seem to remember Zelensky saying he would never negotiate. Am I wrong?

No negotiations has been Zelensky stance I remember and it's an understandable one.

Don't know whether these Ukraine war plans being leaked were something to do with the news report on France 24 and the change in Zelensky stance it just seemed that way to me. 

Sensitive subject to post about on here though.

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

These are discussions about US and NATO support for a potential counter offensive currently being planned to force the invaders from the territory they have seized since the invasion in February 2022, not plans for an attack on Russia which would have justified in any way the Russian invasion.

There is a very major difference which you seem to have rather ignored.

"not plans for an attack on Russia"

Are you sure about that? I'm not so sure!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Any comment on this leak debunking the left's repeated false claim that this war is 100% madman Putin's fault and the west were and are angels and never played any role whatsoever in the build-up to this war? I'm not convinced your normal deflection blaming the orange fella yet again is appropriate or helpful - particularly in light that the invasion paused during Trump's term to resume after biden took over - blowing out of the water another popular conspiracy theory that Trump is Putin's "puppet" and servant.

As I have said from the beginning. These wars are always a grey area in terms of who started it, who is right or wrong etc and the left's stance on this was flat out bonkers. Good to see them getting faced with reality even if its a year (and many thousands of souls lost) too late.

So "the left" are the war mongers and "the right" are the peaceniks??

My, of my, how things have changed!:clap2:

• Haha 1

Interesting article on how these documents first started spreading.

From Discord to 4chan: The Improbable Journey of a US Intelligence Leak

These documents appeared to be dated to early March, around the time they were first posted online on Discord, a messaging platform popular with gamers.

However, Bellingcat has seen evidence that some documents dated to January could have been posted online even earlier, although it is unclear exactly when. Bellingcat also spoke to three members of the Discord community where the images had been posted who claimed that many more documents had been shared across other Discord servers in recent months.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/04/09/from-discord-to-4chan-the-improbable-journey-of-a-us-defence-leak/

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Yes it is sad. Far too many people choose willful ignorance in order maintain their beliefs. There is noting in  these documents that supports what your uncertainty.

And far too many are blinded by their hate.

9 hours ago, 300sd said:

"not plans for an attack on Russia"

Are you sure about that? I'm not so sure!

The Putin fascisti define Russia as the lands of Ukraine that Russia stole so plans on attacking those lands must of course be in play.

There is obviously and never has been any interest of Ukraine to invade legitimate Russia to seize it occupy it, and commit genocide against Russians (as Putin is doing to Ukraine) but on the other hand targeted attacks in Russian territory on strategic military targets used for Putin's war of choice are completely justified. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 300sd said:

And far too many are blinded by their hate.

Hatred of genocidal fascist war criminal Putin and his odious Z Zombie national movement is entirely logical, and a sentiment shared by many (though not a majority) of Russians themselves.  You can't negotiate with such evil. 

• Like 2