Horror on the motorway! Minibus collision results in 4 fatalities, including a pregnant woman, 9 people injured

webfact

1-แบบปกใส่คำพูด-New-73-768x433.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Tragedy struck on Motorway Route 7 in Chonburi Province on April 8, 2023, when a minibus carrying foreign workers collided with the back of a trailer, resulting in four fatalities, including a pregnant woman, and leaving nine others injured.

Lt. Puwadecha Chuemarn of the Highway Police Investigation Division received a report of the accident and rushed to the scene at kilometer 82+500, where he discovered a severely damaged white Toyota Commuter minibus with license plate number 34-2478, from Bangkok, reported Daily News.

The minibus had collided with an 18-wheeler trailer carrying a container with license plate numbers 79-9606 and 79-1772.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Upon inspection, rescuers found that the driver and several passengers were trapped inside the minibus.

Cutting equipment was used to extricate them, but four fatalities were confirmed, including the driver, Mr. Patharadech Kaewin, aged 55, and three female foreign workers, one of whom was pregnant.

Nine other foreign workers were injured, with five in critical condition, and were transported to Chonburi Hospital for immediate treatment.

Police investigating the incident suspect that the driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel, leading to the fatal collision. The investigation is ongoing.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Tragic start to the holidays. RIP.

Always worries me when riding in one of these minibusses. Generally the motorways are safer than than other highways (no U-turns, oncoming traffic, motorcycles or dogs on the road) but speeds considerably higher at 120kph max. Wonder if the 18 wheeler was moving or parked on the shoulder. Terrible impact.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police investigating the incident suspect that the driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel, leading to the fatal collision.

I wish they would conduct an investigation first before ,saying the driver may have fallen asleep,

there have been a few cases of people going into the rear of other vehicles

regards worgeordie,

"Foreign workers" would most likely mean, Laos, Cambodians or Burmese. Who all celebrate the Pi Mai, Songkran, Thingyan or Choul Chnam Thmey/Sangranta festivals to one degree or another. Chances are their employer (factory or building site) would be shut down anyway.

Edited by Pink Mist
Post replied to removed.
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Didn't uncle ban these mini-buses a few years ago?

There was much hue and cry along with a lot of hot air after this accident in Chonburi in 2017, in which 25 people died.

But, as always nothing has been done. See article here

Minibus crash.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Didn't uncle ban these mini-buses a few years ago?

Not sure, but I think are banned those with LPG, after the horrendous tragedy in Chanthaburi years ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

If the Thai authorities are going to do any "crackdown" it should be on these van drivers, who are always in a hurry and keep killing people.

Agreed… but it won’t happen.

Years ago I was involved in a collision with ‘one of these vans’…  speeding down the wrong side of the road, no licence, no insurance, running a  ‘service’….

In the police station I watched a 3rd party (the boss) arrive & envelope of what I assume to be money  (about 1” thick) change hands, 

Police decided it was my fault… I refused it accept blame or sign any document. 
After a few hours of back & forth with the other guys story changing the BiB we’re getting frustrated (with the op an driver not me)… in the end we were sent to a district station where the chief stated the accident was 50:50….   The van driver also stated it was his 3rd accident in as many months…

Police were simply not interested in the legality of the van / driver… I imagine most vans / drivers are the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was in such a van not so long ago, after that accident. Used gas. At least we were asked to exit the van as it was refilled at a filling station. Then he drove three metres behind the vehicle in front at 130 kph. I've not taken a van since and won't in the future. It's like playing Russian Roulette with your life.

The tail gating of some of these guys is horrific… 

Recently I had a couple of drivers at what appeared to be about 2m behind me. 
Usually I just get out of their way, but I couldn’t… middle lane was full, I was following traffic at about *130kmh…. Nowhere for me to go…  it infuriates me how they so readily and carelessly place others in danger. 

A couple of days ago I had one of those old lorry’s (the ones with extra wide mudflaps) hitting his horn for me to get out of the way, as above, about 120kmh & nowhere for me to get out if his way too.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

"Foreign workers" would most likely mean, Laos, Cambodians or Burmese. Who all celebrate the Pi Mai, Songkran, Thingyan or Choul Chnam Thmey/Sangranta festivals to one degree or another. Chances are their employer (factory or building site) would be shut down anyway.

They have to go if the employers don't get them MoU visas and work permits. So they need to go out and re-enter every 30 days to be able to stay. There was an accident with fatalities with a van carrying Lao workers just a few months ago. This time it sounds like they were from Cambodia and Myanmar. 
It's easy for people to say the vans should be stopped but what are the workers going to do then? That will just leave them open to extortion from immigration. Most of the bigger factories and construction companies probably get their workers the documents. It's usually smaller places that often don't bother with the paperwork. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I wish they would conduct an investigation first before ,saying the driver may have fallen asleep,

there have been a few cases of people going into the rear of other vehicles

regards worgeordie,

I agree that they should investigate first. But it's also quite possible that surviving passengers saw it. My girlfriend's often been on the vans to the border and she's had the driver ask her to talk to him so he doesn't drop off. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Tragic start to the holidays. RIP.

Always worries me when riding in one of these minibusses. Generally the motorways are safer than than other highways (no U-turns, oncoming traffic, motorcycles or dogs on the road) but speeds considerably higher at 120kph max. Wonder if the 18 wheeler was moving or parked on the shoulder. Terrible impact.

"Always worries me when riding in one of these minibusses."

You've ridden in them before........and you are still riding them?!!!

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Always worries me when riding in one of these minibusses.

I only did it once; enough to convince me it was more hazardous than 50 years of cigarette smoking.

I drove the 7 over weekend- nearly 300 kms round trip.  Did not see ONE cop but plenty of dickhead speedsters.

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.

On 4/8/2023 at 4:00 PM, brucegoniners said:

If the Thai authorities are going to do any "crackdown" it should be on these van drivers, who are always in a hurry and keep killing people.

It should be mandatory that they do a advanced driving course. Learning how to regain control after they lose control of the van. That would be at least a start in reducing accidents. If they cannot pass the test they cannot transport the general public. 

On 4/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed… but it won’t happen.

Years ago I was involved in a collision with ‘one of these vans’…  speeding down the wrong side of the road, no licence, no insurance, running a  ‘service’….

In the police station I watched a 3rd party (the boss) arrive & envelope of what I assume to be money  (about 1” thick) change hands, 

Police decided it was my fault… I refused it accept blame or sign any document. 
After a few hours of back & forth with the other guys story changing the BiB we’re getting frustrated (with the op an driver not me)… in the end we were sent to a district station where the chief stated the accident was 50:50….   The van driver also stated it was his 3rd accident in as many months…

Police were simply not interested in the legality of the van / driver… I imagine most vans / drivers are the same.

The first thing you do if you're involved in a motor accident, that is, if you're able, phone your car insurance company. I've been involved in a few not so major accidents when I was totally in the right. The BIB's soon arrived but took off when the guy representing my motor insurance company arrived at the scene. Believe me the cops took off like rats in a house fire.

5 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

The first thing you do if you're involved in a motor accident, that is, if you're able, phone your car insurance company. I've been involved in a few not so major accidents when I was totally in the right. The BIB's soon arrived but took off when the guy representing my motor insurance company arrived at the scene. Believe me the cops took off like rats in a house fire.

The biggest problem in regards to motor accidents is the BIB's simply won't get off their butts. Road blocks should only be used looking for known crims. What about the cops touring around in unmarked cars and motor cycles. Let's think seriously if you're a serious law breaker would you be passing through a police road block. All they're looking for is a regular cash flow booking motor cyclists and guys trying to make an honest living, which I'm sure they have no idea what that means.