Far-right county throws out voting machines – with nothing to replace them

onthedarkside

Hand counting, New old way of counting votes ! Imop

Hope its successful! Maybe to the point where other counties do the same throughout the states imop

“Shasta County officials on Thursday approved spending $950,000 to hire a company to provide the equipment needed to hand-count ballots, something that hasn't been done in California in decades, at least not on the scale proposed in the county”.

"I think what you're going see, I know what you're going see, when this is all over, and that period of time comes to where we've got the new system, voters aren't disenfranchised and you see how this economically plays out," Crye said.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/local/2023/04/07/shasta-co-spends-950k-on-new-voting-system-after-hand-count-approval/70089936007/

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If in fact, there was a serious problem with voter fraud, you would have a better point. But there isn't. Five Republican states with Republican governors, Republican legislatures and Republican attorneys general, made big efforts to uncover voter fraud in their states. They came up virtually empty.

Nowhere did I indicate anything in regards to voter fraud, but I see where your going with that train of thought.  The point I am making is that if we did it the old way before todays issues, then the US could be seen as doing things which correct certain social issues.  Just for information, I received two mail in ballots this past voting cycle here in Thailand.  Had I returned them both might they have been both counted, or both thrown out by virtue of voting twice, just a thought.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pink Mist said:

Nowhere did I indicate anything in regards to voter fraud, but I see where your going with that train of thought.  The point I am making is that if we did it the old way before todays issues, then the US could be seen as doing things which correct certain social issues.  Just for information, I received two mail in ballots this past voting cycle here in Thailand.  Had I returned them both might they have been both counted, or both thrown out by virtue of voting twice, just a thought.

Voting machines have been in widescale  use since the 60's.  And since this social issue is based on falsities, why dignify it with what would be a costly effort. And why would claims of fraud be lessened if they were adopted?  To believe that, you'd have to believe that those who falsely instigated these claims were acting sincerely despite the huge amount of evidence against them. As for you voting twice. No. There are codes on ballots. And even if they were from different states, is this a significant problem?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Voting machines have been in widescale  use since the 60's.  And since this social issue is based on falsities, why dignify it with what would be a costly effort. And why would claims of fraud be lessened if they were adopted?  To believe that, you'd have to believe that those who falsely instigated these claims were acting sincerely despite the huge amount of evidence against them. As for you voting twice. No. There are codes on ballots. And even if they were from different states, is this a significant problem?

I'm not sure what you mean by your last question, but yes, there is a problem with people able to get ballots from different states voting more than once.  A number of snowbirds in Florida were caught voting both in Florida and in their home states where they also have an address.  I suspect many more did the same without be caught.  Since these are generally well-off conservative voters, Republicans don't make an issue of it.  https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/florida-three-arrested-vote-twice-the-villages-1271574/

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

To be frank, it doesn't matter to some people what system is used. Handwriting an X in a box on a piece of paper and relying on some person counting those votes, or machines that feed into a computer. What election deniers fail to appreciate is what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Once someone in one party starts calling an election as stolen because someone from another party is verified as having won, it leaves the door open for the opposite to happen, later down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phoenix Rising said:

The people who had an issue with the way the last elections were conducted were oddly silent when trump won in 2016.

IMO they attacked the result in 2020 and used the way that elections were held as an excuse. If there is a return to manual ballot counting they will come up with more excuses to attack results they don't like.

Unfortunately, you can not please all of the people just some of the people.  The current divisiveness between all sides needs to be put aside in order to move forward.