Hapless, unemployed and in debt gold shop robber "didn't case the joint"

webfact

009a445cd29cb9ba9e52ce912ce8e37f37dd9f53b1797d2534b5f228af9e9dd4.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on an attempted robbery of a gold shop in Bangkok's Klong Toey district in which plucky staff trapped a would be robber inside a gold shop.

Theerawat,51, a salesman at the Hua Hong Long store on Sunthorn Kosa Road said that a man had come in wanting to buy a gold necklace for his girlfriend.

2adfefa37a57f4c3c7c38785a466894097e08c48965486fcb5e1f31a7c92ef1f.jpg

He looked at many then moved onto a couple of one baht weight items, that's worth about 60,000 baht.

The salesman was distracted but got wise to events as Yonpong, 23, headed for the exit.

cb41efbc0d0972554b21c407dffe9dfdd3d2b8f7e6e907a569c03ecb43d9f81d.jpg

The door was locked automatically and the police were alerted.

Yonpong said he had been out of work for many months and was in debt to loan sharks to the tune of tens of thousands of baht.

03292c9a69115b5248266a40264f3a365a07b69f28887412c35562f37f6286fd.jpg

He saw this crime as a way out of his financial woes.

Though tellingly he admitted:

"I didn't case the joint".

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

57 minutes ago, n00dle said:

desperation will do that.

one wonders how glib and intelligent you would be under similar adverse circumstances. 

For starters...I would run like hell.

A (stolen) motorbike could do wonders too.

Heck, even his own with a stolen number plate on..

A 50 baht baseball cap and sunglasses could do wonders too

I could go on.

I don't condone stealing btw, but stupidity and amateurism presses all my buttons at once.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

For starters...I would run like hell.

A (stolen) motorbike could do wonders too.

Heck, even his own with a stolen number plate on..

A 50 baht baseball cap and sunglasses could do wonders too

I could go on.

I don't condone stealing btw, but stupidity and amateurism presses all my buttons at once.

how would you run like hell or hop onto your cleverly disguised motorcycle when the door locked behind you preventing you from leaving the shop?   Missing that key detail in the story is, well, amateurish. 

Edited by n00dle

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

how would you run like hell or hop onto your cleverly disguised motorcycle when the door locked behind you preventing you from leaving the shop?   Missing that key detail in the story is, well, amateurish. 

Who in their right mind does not know gold shops doors will lock with the push of a button....

Working as a team of 2 the door locking problem can be taken care of with no problem...

But this is a big problem for a single guy doing a grab and run with no gun involved...

Waiting until another customer was leaving and running then would be a pretty good solution...