Gang attacks Swedish tourist for defending waitress in Chiang Mai, Thailand

webfact

18 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Hard call to say not to intervene when you see a woman being dragged into a toilet with a group of men.

Yes, but it is no secret that men in this part of the world, esp. in Thailand, are cowards, and, in such a situation, will brutally attack you immediately and as a pack, so unless you're with friends or a master of martial arts, it will end badly for you...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

That's not been my experience. When I was threatened by 4 or 5 young Thai guys in a rural karaoke bar, the owner prevented them from running into the kitchen to get some knives and a local who lived in my village (but did not know me) offered to help. It's wrong to assume that all Thai people behave in the same way. It's even worse to say what you said: "people in this part of the world.....are cowards". That's just plain, unabashed racism, which disgusts me almost as much as this incident.

Well, so you got help from Thais there. Good for you. But the Swede wasn't so lucky.

I agree that having Thai 'bystanders' intervene can deescalate such a situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

These Thai punks & thugs have zero to lose, while most foreigners have everything to lose and nothing to gain by getting involved.

⚠️WARNING⚠️: Steer clear of all Thai males of all ages at all times. No good deed goes unpunished rings especially true here in Thailand. 

You are aware, I'm sure, that there are literally tens of millions of them here.

The only way to heed your advice is to depart the country posthaste.

I'll just have to take my chances I guess, as I've been doing for nearly six years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's wrong to assume that all Thai people behave in the same way. It's even worse to say what you said: "people in this part of the world.....are cowards". That's just plain, unabashed racism, which disgusts me almost as much as this incident.

I was referring to thugs like the ones in the article, not Thai people in general.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I was referring to thugs like the ones in the article, not Thai people in general.

Steer clear of all Thai males of all ages at all times. No good deed goes unpunished rings especially true here in Thailand. 

How is this unclear?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

it is no secret that men in this part of the world, esp. in Thailand, are cowards, and, in such a situation, will brutally attack you immediately and as a pack

For the majority of the history of humans it has been perfectly normal behavior to gang up on an opponent(s) and it doesn't make a man a coward. The idea of a fair fight, one on one, is a recent invention and not as widely accepted as some seem to think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Stick around, you'll get it eventually!

I’ve been coming to Thailand since 1987, have lived here on and off quite a few times, have been going out to bars many times, have made Thai friends, have a Thai wife, and never ever have I had any problems anywhere in Thailand (except with a few bent cops). Must be my friendly demeanor or something….

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

So you would stand by and allow a possible bashing/rape/murder take place... mmm looks like this gang of thugs aren't the only non-men.

In your eagerness to jump in and say something nasty you completely miss the point. I wouldn't be in a low-life dump like that in the first place, therefore I wouldn't have a clue what was happening inside and wouldn't be in any position to do anything about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

So you would stand by and allow a possible bashing/rape/murder take place... mmm looks like this gang of thugs aren't the only non-men.

You call the cops and step back, taking on 3 blokes alone is crazy, unless your prepared to knock out some teeth and have the ability, pack of wolves set upon him, cowards.

Hear what your saying, but it's a dog eat dog world here, I remember an Ozzie in Banfla Road being set upon about 8 Thai's I did go to intervene until my Mrs pulled me back, she said, you want to die, are you crazy, this is not Australia, so if it were a one on one scenario, ok, lets roll, but 3, more than I would be prepared to take on for a stranger, just being honest, that said, she knows where she's working, Karaoke are notorious for this type of crowd/behaviour.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I’ve been coming to Thailand since 1987, have lived here on and off quite a few times, have been going out to bars many times, have made Thai friends, have a Thai wife, and never ever have I had any problems anywhere in Thailand (except with a few bent cops). Must be my friendly demeanor or something….

2baht was reprimanding my post. I would say that you and I have been supernaturally lucky to still be breathing.

Of course I value his advice and it's worth every satang of the @2baht I never paid him. I'm leaving the country tonight, back to the USA where it is so much safer.

Wait...... Hmmmm. S**t!

Now I'm very conflicted and just plain scared. What to do?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, grain said:

Farang really should steer clear of these sorts of places, most of those rural karaoke bars are nothing more than shanty brothels with the roughest types of clientele, as was the case here with Burmese laborers dragging a girl into the toilet to pack rape her. You'd think the Swede's Thai GF would know better than to take everyone there for a birthday party. 

What would you have done when you saw what he did?

Just now, 2baht said:

Give all Thai males a wide berth!

That's all you can say?

OK, I'm leaving tonight; I just can't stand the suspense of waiting innocently for the death that is undoubtedly stalking me even now. Some Thai people live near me and some are clearly (gasp) male. It's true they look very old and even fragile but no point in taking risks, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

I'm way beyond partying, age and cancer has slowed me down somewhat. 

My advice is to give cancer a wide berth. That's got to be way easier than avoiding every male in Thailand.

OK. I'm done. It was amusing for a while but now it's just plain silly.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

If I leave my home I am absolutely sure to eventually come within striking distance of some Thai male, possibly more than one.

Should I run or preemptively attack him/them from behind with a baseball bat?

Would it be wiser to avoid any near proximity with Thai women as well, just in case?

The problem is that this country seems absolutely bursting with Thai people. How was I to know I should fear and loathe them all?  

What say you?  Just seeking more sage advice.

this is not my comment, it is the sage advice of a much wiser more circumspect AseanNow member. I require the same clarification.

1 minute ago, Frankie baby said:

If the police wont do anything about these places, why should foreigners. If you play with fire your going to get burned.

He (Swede) shouldn't have been their in the place. 

he most memorable nights of my life were in places i should have been doing things i should not have been doing,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1