Gang attacks Swedish tourist for defending waitress in Chiang Mai, Thailand

webfact

On 6/5/2023 at 4:12 AM, Mark1066 said:

You're really stretching to try and prove a point here, even though you must realise you're wrong. I've worked with many people in the building trade here in the past - seen plenty of Burmese and Thai Yai labourers. Not once did I meet one in a position of authority. If you want to argue whether they might have been bricklayers rather than unskilled labourers, that's just splitting hairs really, and with no real reason apart from your intense desire to nail someone to your politically correct cross.

To the contrary, The original comment that I was responding to was stretching things. The original issue I had with it was the attaching a nationality to the perpetrators, which we can't know from the article. I don't really care if they were laborers or not, that was a side issue. But that is also not clear. Not sure why it would matter if a Burmese person or a Thai Yai person was ever in a position of authority in your experience. And whether or not they were skilled or unskilled is only a point I made because the commenter I was responding to was saying something different than what the article said. The point is that we don't even know if they were construction workers at all. Just because they were caught at a place where construction workers live does not equate to them being construction workers, skilled or otherwise. And we don't know their nationality because the article also did not state that either. It only stated their ethnicity and from where the writer erroneously thought ethnic group originated. It has nothing to do with political correctness, it has to do with fact. I couldn't care less what may be politically correct. You'd be better served to not read motives into people you know nothing about.

• 3 weeks later...