Gang attacks Swedish tourist for defending waitress in Chiang Mai, Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, grain said:

In your eagerness to jump in and say something nasty you completely miss the point. I wouldn't be in a low-life dump like that in the first place, therefore I wouldn't have a clue what was happening inside and wouldn't be in any position to do anything about it. 

Mate... it has NOTHING to do with the place.... it is more about your attitude, maybe you need to reassess what a "human" you are. I suggest more agree with me, than you... just think about it.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You call the cops and step back, taking on 3 blokes alone is crazy, unless your prepared to knock out some teeth and have the ability, pack of wolves set upon him, cowards.

Hear what your saying, but it's a dog eat dog world here, I remember an Ozzie in Banfla Road being set upon about 8 Thai's I did go to intervene until my Mrs pulled me back, she said, you want to die, are you crazy, this is not Australia, so if it were a one on one scenario, ok, lets roll, but 3, more than I would be prepared to take on for a stranger, just being honest, that said, she knows where she's working, Karaoke are notorious for this type of crowd/behaviour.

and what happens, to the lady, before the cops arrive... just think about it.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

In any country this could land you in trouble, but in Thailand specifically interfering in Thai-on-Thai matters can easily get you killed. This is not brave - it's just stupid. He could've just called other staff, security, or police.

Correct. He could have just as easily been pulled into the bathroom and killed. Raising the alarm would have been far smarter than trying to put the fire out himself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goat said:

I also have been attacked by drunken Brits. And never Thai.

One of them ended up with a smashed eye socket. When he sobered up he admitted he had started it and was in the wrong.

I think I was in that bar a few months later...  a guy with a screwed up eye mentioned that he’d received a seeing to from a an ex Special Forces hero who was a black-belt in Karate with a PhD in Keyboard warrior....  ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think I was in that bar a few months later...  a guy with a screwed up eye mentioned that he’d received a seeing to from a an ex Special Forces hero who was a black-belt in Karate with a PhD in Keyboard warrior....  ????

Yeh, I've 'herd' of him too....????

10 hours ago, grain said:

Farang really should steer clear of these sorts of places, most of those rural karaoke bars are nothing more than shanty brothels with the roughest types of clientele, as was the case here with Burmese laborers dragging a girl into the toilet to pack rape her. You'd think the Swede's Thai GF would know better than to take everyone there for a birthday party. 

Curious where you got the idea that the thugs were Burmese. I couldn't find that anywhere in either the synopsis or the original article. It did mention that they were of Thai Yai ethnicity, of which there are MANY in northern Thailand and who are born in Thailand and who are educated in Thai public schools. I also didn't see where you got the idea that they were laborers. Just wondering if you have some kind of information from another source?

34 minutes ago, Sig said:

Curious where you got the idea that the thugs were Burmese. I couldn't find that anywhere in either the synopsis or the original article. It did mention that they were of Thai Yai ethnicity, of which there are MANY in northern Thailand and who are born in Thailand and who are educated in Thai public schools. I also didn't see where you got the idea that they were laborers. Just wondering if you have some kind of information from another source?

Read the linked article....

Never get involved in situations with thais 

13 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Moral of this story never get involved with a Thai Fracas you will come out the other side defeated.

Number one rule that, i was told this before the first trip i made to Thailand in 1990

16 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

They have probably already sold the necklace.

And if they lost face over "just a joke" that makes their vile behavior even more pathetic.

Let's hope the police deal with this properly instead of handing out a "joke" of a punishment.

Nothing to be dealt with.

Just do not get involved.????????

11 hours ago, transam said:
11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Yeh, I've 'herd' of him too....????

Yeah, me too. Reckons he's the greatest of all time.

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

and what happens, to you, before the cops arrive......blade pulled out, or 3 guys start beating the crap out of you ?

No rights, no wrongs, just got to assess the situation when it happens.

You just jogged my memory, back in the 80's was out at a club with a girl friend, she just busted up with her boyfriend who was also a mate of mine, anyways, he was there as well as her, she was being chatted up by a guy of middle eastern appearance and the ex boyfriend didn't like it and told the guy to FO, I went over at the same time the guy puled out a blade, which gave me enough time to pull my mate away and exit, but not before telling the door man who I knew well what had happened. 

Long of the short, guy was ejected along with his mates and we re-entered the club, suffice to say, it could have been worse, so sometimes it's best to eave things alone for your own safety. Different story if it's your Mrs or daughter IMO.

Just saying.

"and what happens, to you, before the cops arrive......blade pulled out, or 3 guys start beating the crap out of you," I hope you never get into trouble, and no-one comes to your aid... I cannot print what I think of oa "man" who will not come to the aid of a woman... I hope you do not have a female partner... or any partner for that matter.... run away man... run run run.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sig said:

8 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Read the linked article....

Perhaps you missed what I wrote... I did read the linked/original article, as I said, "I couldn't find that anywhere in either the synopsis or the original article." Since you seem to have missed what I wrote, could it be a sort of pattern and sort of like missing something, maybe you read between the lines and add information that seems logical to yourself, even though it is not in what you are reading?
I did go back and read it again, just to be sure I wasn't missing something. It does not say they are Burmese or laborers anywhere that I could find.

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Let's hope the police deal with this properly instead of handing out a "joke" of a punishment.

Unfortunately it's not the police who hand out punishment it's the courts and lackadaisical justice system. I suspect that if the police handed out punishment the punishment would be severe and brutal with the perpetrators receiving the same treatment they hand out

14 hours ago, Sig said:

I also didn't see where you got the idea that they were laborers. Just wondering if you have some kind of information from another source?

from the article:

Yesterday, police arrested three men of Tai Yai ethnicity (an ethnic group from Shan state in Myanmar) at a construction workers camp

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:30 PM, grain said:

Farang really should steer clear of these sorts of places, most of those rural karaoke bars are nothing more than shanty brothels with the roughest types of clientele, as was the case here with Burmese laborers dragging a girl into the toilet to pack rape her. You'd think the Swede's Thai GF would know better than to take everyone there for a birthday party. 

Being a foolish white knight in a foreign country is simply not a good idea. 

• Like 1

On my first trip to Thailand, I traveled with a friend who had been there 5 times. 

He gave me the talk of never getting involved.  In Phuket, I seen a drunk German tourist

who threw Thai baht bills and coins on the ground, as a couple of girls had mad him mad

and tried to sell him some chewing gum. A drunk Thai man grabbed a butcher knife from the 

bar and was going to stab the German, but the mama san yelled at him to give her the knife

to cut pineapple. I followed the German and let him know what danger he was in, so he packed up and left

Phuket that night to stay at the airport and leave on a morning flight. The drunk Thai man had

left and came back about an hour later with 4 friends, looking for the German, the were all armed with knives and machetes.

I stayed at the bar with the big Mama san for a while longer until the police arrived, and took the weapons from the

drunks.  Never get involved, it is not worth the danger.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:43 AM, Sig said:

I also didn't see where you got the idea that they were laborers. Just wondering if you have some kind of information from another source?

On 4/10/2023 at 9:58 PM, n00dle said:

from the article:

Yesterday, police arrested three men of Tai Yai ethnicity (an ethnic group from Shan state in Myanmar) at a construction workers camp

Yes, I read that too, of course. It doesn't say what you say it says. It states their ethnicity, not their nationality. It erroneously states an origin of the ethnic group, which although there are a large number of Tai Yai in Burma, from every paper I've ever read re this ethnic group, its roots are from Yunnan, China, but this has nothing to do with the individuals in question re their nationality. Their nationality is not stated. It also does not state that they were laborers. You seem to think that simply because of the location of the arrests that they were laborers. Location and occupation do not necessarily equate. They could have been visiting friends. They could be skilled workers rather than laborers. There are a variety of other reasons why they may have been at a construction workers camp and not laborers or even part of the work force there. You may be right. They may be Burmese laborers, but that is far from clear with only this article for reference.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:12 AM, Goat said:

I spent 2 months with a Tai Yai extended family in Fang, Chiang Mai. Lovely people and the girls are very beauutiful and exceptional love makers.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:53 PM, n00dle said:

dude, you are creepy AF

You got a good laugh out of me with that response! One has to wonder how large a sampling size he had to have taken in order to draw that conclusion about an entire ethnic group! But with the drugs he was professing to be on at the time... maybe it was just kept in the family... and apparently the family he stayed with made quite the impression! ???? In all likelihood, it was probably a really nice family just getting by and struggling to survive, as has been the case for many I've met over the years who subjected themselves to working in the depravities of the illicit opiate trade. Having a bit more income from a drug-loving foreigner must have been nice for them.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:31 AM, Sig said:

You got a good laugh out of me with that response! One has to wonder how large a sampling size he had to have taken in order to draw that conclusion about an entire ethnic group! But with the drugs he was professing to be on at the time... maybe it was just kept in the family... and apparently the family he stayed with made quite the impression! ???? In all likelihood, it was probably a really nice family just getting by and struggling to survive, as has been the case for many I've met over the years who subjected themselves to working in the depravities of the illicit opiate trade. Having a bit more income from a drug-loving foreigner must have been nice for them.

The extended family were not selling it. They all worked on an orange and coffee plantation.

But they set me up with some other people who could. A few of the family used it every now and then, and since they were feeding me I was more than happy to share. One Tai Yai chicken dish was awesome.

I went to funeral and there was a bowl of it for everyone to help themselves.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2023 at 5:13 AM, Sig said:

Yes, I read that too, of course. It doesn't say what you say it says. It states their ethnicity, not their nationality. It erroneously states an origin of the ethnic group, which although there are a large number of Tai Yai in Burma, from every paper I've ever read re this ethnic group, its roots are from Yunnan, China, but this has nothing to do with the individuals in question re their nationality. Their nationality is not stated. It also does not state that they were laborers. You seem to think that simply because of the location of the arrests that they were laborers. Location and occupation do not necessarily equate. They could have been visiting friends. They could be skilled workers rather than laborers. There are a variety of other reasons why they may have been at a construction workers camp and not laborers or even part of the work force there. You may be right. They may be Burmese laborers, but that is far from clear with only this article for reference.

You're really stretching to try and prove a point here, even though you must realise you're wrong. I've worked with many people in the building trade here in the past - seen plenty of Burmese and Thai Yai labourers. Not once did I meet one in a position of authority. If you want to argue whether they might have been bricklayers rather than unskilled labourers, that's just splitting hairs really, and with no real reason apart from your intense desire to nail someone to your politically correct cross.

Edited by Mark1066