Gang attacks Swedish tourist for defending waitress in Chiang Mai, Thailand

webfact

Just now, RocketDog said:

OK look. I get that avoiding questionable places and groups of people, male and female is a good idea. Staying out of disputes not your own is solid advice too, especially here.

My reactions are to the laughably fatuous advice to avoid  ALL Thai men, at ALL times and places. Drivel.

how many times do i need to explain to you that i too am questioning this idiioitic, bigoted and downright cowardly advice? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

2baht was reprimanding my post. I would say that you and I have been supernaturally lucky to still be breathing.

Of course I value his advice and it's worth every satang of the @2baht I never paid him. I'm leaving the country tonight, back to the USA where it is so much safer.

Wait...... Hmmmm. S**t!

Now I'm very conflicted and just plain scared. What to do?

I know he was reprimanding your post. But I just couldn’t resist to let him know there are some extremely lucky specimen like you and me around who have been able to dodge the bullet so far. Apparently we’re like white elephants, very few and far between. 

1 hour ago, ningnong said:

For the majority of the history of humans it has been perfectly normal behavior to gang up on an opponent(s) and it doesn't make a man a coward. The idea of a fair fight, one on one, is a recent invention and not as widely accepted as some seem to think.

Maybe. Just call me a 'recent' guy. LOL

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, but it is no secret that men in this part of the world, esp. in Thailand, are cowards, and, in such a situation, will brutally attack you immediately and as a pack, so unless you're with friends or a master of martial arts, it will end badly for you...

As a tourist from a highly civilised country, perhaps he had no idea of the brutality that is so often seen or read by those who live here. Basically, he was living on a different planet by being here.

48 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

OK look. I get that avoiding questionable places and groups of people, male and female is a good idea. Staying out of disputes not your own is solid advice too, especially here.

My reactions are to the laughably fatuous advice to avoid  ALL Thai men, at ALL times and places. Drivel.

Be wary of, not avoid, is the practical way to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As a tourist from a highly civilised country, perhaps he had no idea of the brutality that is so often seen or read by those who live here. Basically, he was living on a different planet by being here.

60 people got shot dead in gang related shootings  in that "highly civilised " Sweden last year

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, racket said:

Yeah. Just in case they are not 100% Thais, lol

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

These Thai punks & thugs have zero to lose,

2 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Usual Thai odds at least 3 onto 1, the whole nation are the biggest cowards on the planet. Not a real man amongst them 

Some very ignorant comments here as usual.

Firstly they are not Thai. They are Tai Yai. They dont have Thai ID cards, the same rights as Thais, they have a different culture, language, music and are spread through southern china, Laos and Myanmar.

The lovely Thai people accept them as sort of refugees.

Secondly this is only 3 young blokes that happen to be Tai Yai. Your ignorance at not knowing the difference tells methat you have never even heard of them, so they are hardly the trouble makers you make out.

I spent 2 months with a Tai Yai extended family in Fang, Chiang Mai. Lovely people and the girls are very beauutiful and exceptional love makers. They mainly work farm laborer type jobs and grow opium, which is what lead me there in the first place. 

A couple of different ways to have the opium but my favorite is they make these cigar type rollies and mix it with marijuana and another stimulant herb. A very relaxing feeling, especially when love making.

Thirdly, i am sure is more to this story than theSwede is telling us.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I have been attacked twice in Thailand, both time by groups of men from the UK.

I also have been attacked by drunken Brits. And never Thai.

One of them ended up with a smashed eye socket. When he sobered up he admitted he had started it and was in the wrong.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Goat said:

Firstly they are not Thai. They are Tai Yai. They dont have Thai ID cards, the same rights as Thais, they have a different culture, language, music and are spread through southern china, Laos and Myanmar.

Secondly this is only 3 young blokes that happen to be Tai Yai. Your ignorance at not knowing the difference tells methat you have never even heard of them, so they are hardly the trouble makers you make out.

I spent 2 months with a Tai Yai extended family in Fang, Chiang Mai. Lovely people and the girls are very beauutiful and exceptional love makers. They mainly work farm laborer type jobs and grow opium, which is what lead me there in the first place. 

A couple of different ways to have the opium but my favorite is they make these cigar type rollies and mix it with marijuana and another stimulant herb. A very relaxing feeling, especially when love making.

It seems you're a junky Goat then...........................:w00t:

Just now, transam said:

It seems you're a junky Goat then...........................:w00t:

Not really, junky usually refers to addicted people who inject. I was just blending in with the locals culture. Their language is similar to Thai, and they can mostly speakThai so it was easy for me.

That you had never heard of Tai Yai people before doesnt surprise me. You wouldnt be able to tell the difference even if you met one.

Go and have a beer. 

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

60 people got shot dead in gang related shootings  in that "highly civilised " Sweden last year

To compare, what is the number of gang related/violent killings in Thailand last year? If you are going to compare countries then give both figures, not one.

Sixty isn't too bad though. That number die on the roads every day in Thailand largely due to incompetent police and poor standards needed to get a license. I'd say because of that Thailand wins in not being a civilised nation. You know, with its anarchy on the roads.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Goat said:

Not really, junky usually refers to addicted people who inject. I was just blending in with the locals culture. Their language is similar to Thai, and they can mostly speakThai so it was easy for me.

That you had never heard of Tai Yai people before doesnt surprise me. You wouldnt be able to tell the difference even if you met one.

Go and have a beer. 

Who said I have never 'herd' of Tai Yai folk, seems only you.....?  ????

Slow down on that puff stuff, eh......:goof:

15 minutes ago, Goat said:

What a load of????????????????????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

how many times do i need to explain to you that i too am questioning this idiioitic, bigoted and downright cowardly advice? 

Sorry. I thought you were responding to my response,etc.

We're on the same page.

His advice is nonsense in every way. Sad case I believe.

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I was referring to thugs like the ones in the article, not Thai people in general.

Yes but that's not at all what you said is it?

"people in this part of the world, esp. in  Thailand, are cowards"

I don't see much room for misunderstanding that. You can back peddle as furiously as you like but what you think is already crystal clear.

35 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I know he was reprimanding your post. But I just couldn’t resist to let him know there are some extremely lucky specimen like you and me around who have been able to dodge the bullet so far. Apparently we’re like white elephants, very few and far between. 

Agreed. And my white Chang Noi ain't so Noi either. ????

it's amazing to see a conversation about a Swedish guy being beaten by some Thai's degenerating into arguments about Thai Yai or Thai no Yai's or Thai Folks regardless whatever they are it should be on a different post, this post is about a Swedish guy that was attacked by a group of Thai guys

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Look at all the white knights here praising a guy who paraded around a questionable venue with a 2 baht gold necklace, then interfered in a situation he did not understand*. In any country this could land you in trouble, but in Thailand specifically interfering in Thai-on-Thai matters can easily get you killed. This is not brave - it's just stupid. He could've just called other staff, security, or police.

* The full article states that the waitress did in fact know the attackers, and one of them even called her later.

There may be some merit to what you say but if my daughter was in the position as this waitress, I know who'd I'd rather was there to help her and it obviously wouldn't be you. You'd be too busy looking down on other people's jewellery purchases most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And you cannot just approach a group of young men, and defend a woman, unless you are armed, a 6th degree sensei, prepared to die, be locked up, or get seriously hurt.

...or your name is Jack Reacher.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

if my daughter was in the position as this waitress

You'd let your daugher work at a low class karaoke bar/brothel?

Some situational awareness is required - she knew where she worked and she literally knew these guys - it's the Swede who seems to have had no idea where he was and what's (in)appropriate there.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Yes but that's not at all what you said is it?

"people in this part of the world, esp. in  Thailand, are cowards"

I don't see much room for misunderstanding that. You can back peddle as furiously as you like but what you think is already crystal clear.

What I think or don’t think, is none of your business anyway.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

personally I dot see the upside in engaging anyone in a fight. 

I have been attacked twice in Thailand, both time by groups of men from the UK.

When I lived on Samui, there were alot of younger, very aggressive Brits living there or visiting, who were itching for a brawl. Had to stay clear of them. Sometimes they would attempt to chat me up, and I politely ignored them. You could spot them from 100 meters away, and it was obvious they were nothing but trouble. Likely even their mothers knew that. Some were fugitives and some were just thugs. 

Edited by spidermike007