Passport maybe missing: how long should I wait?

JackGats

I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown now because my passport might be missing somewhere between Immigration and the agency. I don't know whether my extension is already stamped on my missing passport as of now. If it is, my understanding is that there can be no overstay as the new one-year extension will be in Immigration's computers. However, I have no means of finding out if that is the case.

My present extension, the one that was already on my passport when I gave it to the agency for renewal, expires on May 2nd. Agency is closed from April 13th to April 19th inclusive. On which day should I decide I've waited enough and go report my missing passport to Thai police before I ask my Embassy for a replacement (emergency or "provisional" passport)? I've read overstay up to 90 days costs 20k Baht but does not lead to a criminal record in Thailand.

Edited by JackGats
spelling

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So they are open (for what's left of) today and all day tomorrow. Have you spoken with anyone at the agency? Do you have contact with them at all?

Of course. Have been dropping by twice a day since Friday. I was told yesterday the visa was on the way from Immigration (a ten minutes' ride!). Today I was told either that the big boss at immigration was not there to sign (unlikely, as passports kept arriving back) or that a concommitant application for a certificate of residence was delaying the return of the passport (don't see why this should be either).

Edited by JackGats
elaboration
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

On which day did you decide you'd waited enough and go and ask the agency where it is?  Or was it them that said it may be missing?

It usually gets done in two working days. I handed in my passport and file last Tuesday. That's why I'm assuming something is not normal. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

After the Songkran closures, they will still have 13 days to 'find' the passport before your current entitlement to stay expires. Your passport has been 'missing' for about a week so not sure why you are quoting 90-day overstay fines, criminal records and the like.

I was factoring in the time needed for my embassy to provide me with a new passport in case mine doesn't surface, and the availability of flights if I must reschedule. So if I am optimistic and wait until the last day, I'll be in overstay by the time I have a passport and a new flight. My flight is on the 30th of April.

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

I was factoring in the time needed for my embassy to provide me with a new passport in case mine doesn't surface, and the availability of flights if I must reschedule. So if I am optimistic and wait until the last day, I'll be in overstay by the time I have a passport and a new flight. My flight is on the 30th of April.

You'll probably be OK, but is the worry you are having worth it?

• Like 2

Thursday 6th was also a holiday. Very little gets done on a Friday anyway, and even less when it's squashed between a holiday and a weekend. These two weeks are largely a write-off for getting any kind of official admin done quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Yet another good reason to DO IT YOURSELF, legally and cheaper.

It is actually illegal to be without your passport, and the stamp you eventually get could also fall into that category.

Fear mongering. State I am these days more likely to lose my passport myself. Although seeing the casual way passports are thrown around, lying around etc in an agents office is not inspiring!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would just wait and report it stolen before 90 days. Apply for the new passport around 90 days and show immigration the stolen report when you go in for the replacement visa and stamp. Would need to pay up if required.

Any written receipt from the agency. Could show that and explain they have possession if stopped by police or to immigration. Worst case, go in and get a business card. Anyone asks, call the agency.

You should always have a picture of your passport on your phone in case you are stopped or you lose it with the visa stamps included. Maybe uploaded to a cloud storage also.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I would just wait and report it stolen before 90 days. Apply for the new passport around 90 days and show immigration the stolen report when you go in for the replacement visa and stamp. Would need to pay up if required.

I thought of doing that, but what if I get controlled by police during the 90 days? Would be bad luck but I would no longer be an "alien surrendering to police". That's why it would be great to know (get a print-out from the Immigration computer?) whether the new extension was stamped in the missing passport. But this is apparently not a service agencies are willing or able to provide, in spite of begin well-connected with Immigration.

• Like 1

Don't forget last week Thursday was an holiday as well (Friday after, many took extra day off).

As someone else already stated, this time many already on long holiday... so everything could be slower than normal.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I thought of doing that, but what if I get controlled by police during the 90 days? Would be bad luck but I would no longer be an "alien surrendering to police". That's why it would be great to know (get a print-out from the Immigration computer?) whether the new extension was stamped in the missing passport. But this is apparently not a service agencies are willing or able to provide, in spite of begin well-connected with Immigration.

I don’t think the police are unreasonable. I could see them calling the agency and even getting the passport returned if I was stopped, but it really depends on how you explain things and the officers mood.

I have lived in Thailand for years and never been asked for it by police.

The chances of being asked for your passport at all are pretty small imo. Just stay away from nightclubs or driving around and that sort of thing, or walking around Sukhumvit late at night etc.

Have you tried going to immigration and asking if they have it? Tell them the agency and put some pressure on them to find it. I would wait at least a month before doing that though since it’s a loss of face for them.

Edited by JimTripper

38 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Presumably you have a copy/photo of your passport showing your ID details and latest 'permission to stay' stamp? This will normally be enough if you get stopped by the police and need ID.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why do you think it's missing? agents are closing over Songkran and it's not unusual in busy times for it to be late

How are PP delivererd to your agent, Courier or Thai Post?

And as said 'Bosses' take longer holidays the roads are choked already, buses fully booked. just saying 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

Nothing worse than waiting in line at immigration only for an agent worker arriving with a fistful of passports and pushing straight in to get seen in front of everyone else. Saw one leave a pile of passports and walk outside once, no wonder they can go missing

• Like 1

Ok guys, long story short, the agency called me this morning to tell me "immigration lost your passport". I have an appointment at my embassy on monday morning. Agency is paying the costs and said they want to get the renewal on the emergency passport before the deadline runs out. 

Funny some of you guys question whether I keep copies of my passport. I'd be a fool not to do that with the kind of life we lead here. Not only that, I upload all the pages of it on my Google drive, adding new pages as soon as they get some stamp on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

How are PP delivererd to your agent, Courier or Thai Post?

And as said 'Bosses' take longer holidays the roads are choked already, buses fully booked. just saying 

I once rode to Immigration from an agency to have my picture taken. The agency paid for the motorbike taxi. The motorbike taxi I rode with carried a bunch of passports under the seat for delivery to immigration. No Courrier or Thai Post for these passports, only มอเตอร์ไซค์รับจ้าง.

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

An emergency PP only allows you to leave the country to your home country. 

I heard they were only 6 months valid. So I shall need a normal passport to travel back anyway (6-month rule, enforceable by airlines if not by Thailand). The question is whether a visa stamp transferred on the emergency passport is any good when I come back. If not I get 30 days and take it from there. Or better still, do the LTR, for which I qualify. Do the LTR online from Europe and come to collect it in October, that would be ideal.

• Confused 1

the whole post doesn't make any sense

My present extension, the one that was already on my passport when I gave it to the agency for renewal, expires on May 2nd.

its April 12 now, and your extension expired on May 2, yes holiday April 13th to April 19th, really don't understand what you trying to say, what's missing and what overstay???

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1