Passport maybe missing: how long should I wait?

JackGats

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You cannot spend the 800K anytime you want (unless you are ready to forgo further visa extension). You cannot spend 400k of it ever and can't spend the other 400k for 5 months of the year.

Given the risks of forgetting of being unable to redeposit on time most people using the 800K method just leave the full amount in there all the time.

It is a considerable hassle and loss, especially since Thai banks do not have any provision for "payable on death" and immigration does not accept joint accounts.  As a result, these funds will also not be readily available to pay final hospital expenses or cremation/burial costs etc on your death. A thoroughly undesirable arrangement.

Income method has its own risks and drawbacks  as well. Some IOs are very difficult in terms of what sort of proof they require that the funds came from abroad. For those whose incomes are not significantly above the minimum amount there are risks of it dipping below due to currency fluctuations (and even a 1 baht below 65k dip in 1 month will be enough to disqualify you).

No question that the LTR is much better. But its financial requirements are too high for most of us.

the point is a person is able to spend the 800k and switch to another method such as agent method, especially last few years makes some sense. A 1m baht elite visa is gone for good, no spending that.

Also on death, if there is no will the next of kin can go to court to get the 800k, so it doesn't automatically go to the govt as the myth goes

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JackGats said:

Besides, if I'm not mistaken they might refuse to recognise your 800k if it is not obvious the money came from abroad.

I don't believe you have to prove the money came from abroad when renewing a retirement extension. It is required if one converts a TR or Visa Exempt entry to a Non-Imm-O retirement. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Agents are for the blokes who are too unwell to do it themselves. Or those unicorns whose time really is worth more than the agents fee. 

Also for people who are afraid of the process. All you usually get with an agent is someone with less education then you have and it increases the chances of problems because it’s a third party.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Also for people who are afraid of the process. All you usually get with an agent is someone with less education then you have and it increases the chances of problems because it’s a third party.

It eliminates (or seems to), some of the other requirements, the most onerous being going to immigration twice, and maybe having to wait outside in the sunshine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It eliminates (or seems to), some of the other requirements, the most onerous being going to immigration twice, and maybe having to wait outside in the sunshine. 

Wait in the scorching heat, and mind you not in shorts because even being allowed to dress as lightly as you can is too much to ask. Nope, you are requied to dress "properly" so as to maximise discomfort.

1 minute ago, JackGats said:

Wait in the scorching heat, and mind you not in shorts because even being allowed to dress as lightly as you can is too much to ask. Nope, you are requied to dress "properly" so as to maximise discomfort.

My shorts never seemed to create a problem... but I always put a proper shirt on...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

the point is a person is able to spend the 800k and switch to another method such as agent method, especially last few years makes some sense. A 1m baht elite visa is gone for good, no spending that.

Also on death, if there is no will the next of kin can go to court to get the 800k, so it doesn't automatically go to the govt as the myth goes

The court process takes time. Money will not be available in time to cover medical and death expenses. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Agreed. If you get a 'good' agent, it eliminates the hassles potentially of doing it yourself?

How many posters tell of stories about immigration wanting extra bits of paper, or a TM30 or another copy of something? Those in itself are not major obstacles, but when you have been waiting in line for 2 hours, then you get an obstreperous immigration officer it does raise ones blood pressure?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JackGats said:

that's right i saw a guy in his 80s get totally abused by  one of the freaks at Jomtien, he was wearing a vest, crime of all crimes, that was 2+ hours wasted for him queuing in the heat and sun and standing, had to leave, looked broken

Edited by scubascuba3

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You just made that up ????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, NextG said:

You just made that up ????

I’m just used to doing things myself. But then again I’m very organized and don’t mind a line really and not in a rush.

If I was 80 and it was a very hot day it would be a different story. Hopefully I don’t find myself in that situation and hope to be in a more comfortable living situation by then.

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yeah, what happened in the end?

As I hinted earlier, the missing passport resurfaced the day after I reported it missing to the police. Both passports (old with corner clipped off + new one) went yesterday to IO for stamp transfer. So unless I'm extremely unlucky things should turn out all right, with some lessons learnt.

• Thumbs Up 1

P.S. I just got my passports back with all stamps transfered.

1) It worked without an embassy letter. My embassy was one of the embassies who stopped issueing the precious "embassy letter".

2) Credit must be given where credit is due. I did this through Yaivisa Pass (photocopy shop next to Chonburi IO). I shall probably not apply for renewals in Pattaya (nor through agencies) any more, but if I did I'd opt for this agency. You see no cardboard boxes full of passports here, but I think when it comes to passports, there's no safety in numbers. Besides, the agency is a stone's throw from IO. Less risk of a drunken bike driver landing into a ditch with a consignment of passports.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, JackGats said:

The day after I filed the police report, my passport was "found" (by immigration if the agency is to be believed). The renewal stamp until May 2024 is on it. The agency said "immigration know this passport cancelled".

no one but your embassy can cancel your passport, if you have the old passport with all the stamps then you do not need a new one, if you have already applied for a new one then inform your embassy that you found the old one, you will need to take it with you when collecting your new one and they will cancel it, the go to immigration and get the stamps transferred

the only advice you should be taking right now in from your embassy

On 4/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, JackGats said:

I was confronted with a requirement regarding a long-term renting contract

they don't need a LT renting contract - they need your residence to give you a simple proof of address or your Thai DL will also do

On 5/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, JackGats said:

P.S. I just got my passports back with all stamps transfered.

1) It worked without an embassy letter. My embassy was one of the embassies who stopped issueing the precious "embassy letter".

2) Credit must be given where credit is due. I did this through Yaivisa Pass (photocopy shop next to Chonburi IO). I shall probably not apply for renewals in Pattaya (nor through agencies) any more, but if I did I'd opt for this agency. You see no cardboard boxes full of passports here, but I think when it comes to passports, there's no safety in numbers. Besides, the agency is a stone's throw from IO. Less risk of a drunken bike driver landing into a ditch with a consignment of passports.

at the start of this thread the general advise was to wait a few days, look at the mess you created for yourself and still you want to use an agent, why not listen to what you are be told on these forums before creating a massive problem for yourself, I am on my 13th extension and never used an agent once.......go figure

• Thumbs Up 2