Thai govt warns drivers to keep a brake on road mishaps during ‘Seven Deadly Days’ of Songkran Festival

webfact

image.jpeg

by Bob Scott

The Thai government has issued a warning to drivers who are travelling during the Songkran Festival, urging them to be careful on the road. This warning comes after the Thailand Road Accidents Data Centre for Road Safety Culture (ThaiRSC) reported 74 fatalities and 2,322 injuries on the first day of the “Seven Deadly Days” of the Songkran Festival. As of today, on day two, there have been 37 fatal injuries up to now and 1,771 injuries reported.

Chotnarin Kerdsom, the Interior Deputy Permanent Secretary, stated that speeding was the primary cause of “Seven Deadly Days” accidents (35%), followed by cutting in front of other vehicles (25%). Most accidents involved motorcycles (79%), and the majority of crashes occurred on main roads (87%), followed by highways (48%).

The provinces of Pathum Thani, Phetchabun, and Loei had the most “Seven Deadly Days” road deaths, with two each. Phatthalung had the most accidents, with 14 reported, and the highest number of injuries, with 18 reported.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/thai-govt-warns-drivers-to-keep-a-brake-on-road-mishaps-during-seven-deadly-days-of-songkran-festival

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

IMO, Thais driving ability has deteriorated over the past few years….the aggression has definitely increased, the ease at which drivers “lose” it here is crazy….brake checking, swerving and stopping mid traffic to argue or worse.

That the police are useless, makes for absolute lawlessness on Thailand’s roads.

These holidays will see hundreds killed….hundreds injured and maimed and all the travelling public get, are road blocks to scam a few baht!

I concur. It has deteriorated. A few years back you might see the odd motorcycle going through a red light, now it’s many of them. And, as you say, road rage is on the up, as is aggression. A sad state of affairs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Be Warned !!!!

If you carry on with your reckless driving habits, we will be forced to issue the exact same warning for Loy Kratong as well

And that'll show em! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Chotnarin Kerdsom, the Interior Deputy Permanent Secretary, stated that speeding was the primary cause of “Seven Deadly Days” accidents (35%), followed by cutting in front of other vehicles (25%). Most accidents involved motorcycles (79%), and the majority of crashes occurred on main roads (87%), followed by highways (48%).

So most accidents are caused by motorcycles, on main roads, speeding and then cutting in front of others. Did I get it correct please?

Oh yes, 87% plus 48% adds up to 135% doesn't it?

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I concur. It has deteriorated. A few years back you might see the odd motorcycle going through a red light, now it’s many of them. And, as you say, road rage is on the up, as is aggression. A sad state of affairs. 

I was sitting in the front of traffic at red lights along with other motorcyclists in Nakhon Sawan when a grab bike just carried on straight through the lights. I was furious at him, but I then noticed that he was at no risk either to himself or others, it was these particular lights that were at fault. They should have been at green.

It was at a T junction, and when traffic was moving in the other direction on a green light, there was no way that traffic from the right could move as they were at red, so as I said, the lights that I was sitting at should have been at green.

They just haven't been set properly.

Edited by NoshowJones

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Be Warned !!!!

If you carry on with your reckless driving habits, we will be forced to issue the exact same warning for Loy Kratong as well

Very true action speaks louder then any word .. especially in Thailand. So all fall on deaf ears.. 

When people are never taught to drive properly in the first place how are they supposed to know how to drive 'safely' ?

Add lack of driving knowledge to Booze and Drugs and what do you get....Carnage !

Bad Education is at the root of everything in Thailand and if you have Bad Education just about everything that follows will also be bad.     Poor Law Enforcement is just another example..........poor training, lack of interest in anything that has no 'end (cash) product' and Useless overmanned Government Departments that are the same !