Visa Retirement vs Marriage

The underlying visa is not necessarily different, both an non-Imm O and an an non-Imm OA need to be renewed annually and can be renewed on either the basis of retirement or marriage.  The difference is that when you renew on the basis on marriage you only need to have 400K Baht in a Thai bank instead of 800K, you can get work legally, and you don't have to buy medical insurance from a Thai insurance company.  However there's a bit more red tape when renewing the marriage visa.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Hmm. Simple. "Wify visa" needs a wife but no requirement for age. The Retirement visa does not need a wife but there is age restrictions. 

That is just one of many differences.

Financial requirements and being able to work and having a home visit and having an under consideration period are just a few of  many other differences. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is just one of many differences.

Financial requirements and being able to work and having a home visit and having an under consideration period are just a few of  many other differences. 

That depends on what province you live in, Trat have been doing home visits for retirement and 4 photos of home, on application.

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That depends on what province you live in, Trat have been doing home visits for retirement and 4 photos of home, on application.

Application for what? 

Non O based on retirement OR extension.

If Trat do home visits for extensions based on retirement then they would VERY much be in the minority of immigration offices. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Application for what? 

Non O based on retirement OR extension.

If Trat do home visits for extensions based on retirement then they would VERY much be in the minority of immigration offices. 

No IF about it

1373247498_RETIREVISA(5).JPG.139ad36acb3bdf37a2873b39a27e6870.JPG

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No IF about it

1373247498_RETIREVISA(5).JPG.139ad36acb3bdf37a2873b39a27e6870.JPG

That list is for application for extension based on retirement.

In any event some made up list by one crack pot immigration office does not mean a lot.

There are ~ 75 offices. 

The "residence certificate " on the list is straight out crazy. 

Post the first four points (requirements) and list heading.

Might be good for a laugh to see how ridiculous Trat immigration is. 

#9 Looks like list for extension based on marriage. 

Edited by DrJack54

34 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I know it is that's why i posted it ! 

Happy now?

No need for rudeness. 

Surely they are the only immigration office in Thailand that has such a ridiculous list. 

In that respect they are irrelevant. 

Edited by DrJack54

I am too young to stay on a retirement visa, but I can say that I've never had any type of issue with an extension based on marriage. I pay only 1900 bhat a year at my local immigration office and my Thai wife pays almost everything for me

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

The underlying visa is not necessarily different, both an non-Imm O and an an non-Imm OA need to be renewed annually and can be renewed on either the basis of retirement or marriage.  The difference is that when you renew on the basis on marriage you only need to have 400K Baht in a Thai bank instead of 800K, you can get work legally, and you don't have to buy medical insurance from a Thai insurance company.  However there's a bit more red tape when renewing the marriage visa.

Thanks for the Info 

15 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

All these are mute points because they can be overlooked by an agent. 

Using an agent to obtain an extension based on marriage is much more expensive than based on retirement.

The OP was asking about difference between extensions marriage v retirement.

No mention of agent. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Surely they are the only immigration office in Thailand that has such a ridiculous list. 

I have found Phuket immigration (for a retirement extension) can ask for pictures  of one by their condo , and a map of their condo, dependent on the IO, and dependent on the year in which one is going for the extension.

One year I showed up for a one year extension based on retirement (underlying Visa was a type-OA) and the first IO who initially checked my documents, asked for a map to my condo and images as to myself being in front of my condo door, and in front of my condo complex sign.  I made clear to him I was going for a retirement extension, and he made clear to me he understood.    So fortunately, while I believed those ONLY needed for an extension based on marriage I never-the-less had those.   A couple of hours later (after waiting for my queue number to come up) the next (different) IO I saw at the Phuket immigration office handed back both the hand drawn map and images of me by my condo.  BUT I was told verbally that an IO may show up at my place/make an appointment to confirm I lived where my documents recorded me as living - so I gave the IO my wife's phone number for them to make an appointment. Two weeks later a Phuket IO phoned and asked if we were home so they could drop by. We were actually off island at the time (in Khao Lak) and told the IO we would be back in a few days. They said they would call back for another appointment in a few days - they never did call back (so I guess it not important).

Roll forward in time some years, and after switching to a 1-year Marriage Extension (on my Type-OA) and then a year later switching to a Type-O visa, I went for an extension based on Retirement on the Type-O.  The IO did not ask for a hand drawn map, nor (initially) ask for pictures of me by my condo. But I was asked for a copy of the deed of my condo and a copy of the blue book pages (I gave them my Yellow Book pages instead of the Blue book pages).  Then they asked for my social media "Line" application contact info (which I had) and they asked I 'video' phone them from my condo at a specific time in 2 days time.  This I did. While on a video chat they had me walk to my condo door, and do a selfie with the video, and then walk to my condo complex entrance, and do a selfie by the condo complex sign.  They told me they were doing 'screen snapshots' of those 'live' images for their records.  This was for a retirement extension on a Type-O visa !

My view ? It all depends on the IO in addition to depending on the Immigration office.  This being Thailand, and me being a foreigner, I find it best to simply roll with the 'punches' and give them best as possible what they ask for, especially if it is easy to provide.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Don't you mean MARRIAGE.

The list I was posting about was some crack pot immigration office namely Trat, that has a list of requirements that includes such items as photos in bedroom etc and even residence certificate for extensions based on retirement..

Posted by someone earlier in thread.

Ludicrous list. 

Fortunately other immigration offices do not have those requirements 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1