Seagrams Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey. From where may I purchase it?

DudleySquat

Crown Royal is my favorite. The only place I know where one could buy it is at Duty Free. I used to have all my friends bring me in 2 bottles every time anyone went on international travel. I would save them for the Christmas/NY holidays.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The Scots don't make whiskey, that's the Irish. In Scotland it's simply whisky.The Scots don't make whiskey, that's the Irish. In Scotland it's simply whisky. Everything else is imitation. Source: my Scottish mother.

Exactly, the term is protected.

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/insights/protecting-scotch-whisky/protecting-scotch-whisky-outside-the-uk/

The only local drink that is anywhere near tasting like whisky is Crown 99.

http://www.interbevgroup.com/brands-spirits-crown99.php

15 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Crown Royal is my favorite. The only place I know where one could buy it is at Duty Free. I used to have all my friends bring me in 2 bottles every time anyone went on international travel. I would save them for the Christmas/NY holidays.

Ditto ... as the one spirit I'll drink straight up.  Tequila, Rum, Vodka all gets mixed with something.   Only thing close to straight, would be a flavored Martini.

Good luck finding.  I think I saw it in Vientiane, Laos.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ditto ... as the one spirit I'll drink straight up.

Yes indeed.

I recall when I first came to Thailand on business back in the late 90s I was introduced to a great little 'hole-in-the wall' Japanese steak house in the Patpong area. Sitting on a little mantel behind the cash register was a bottle of Crown. When I ordered my steak I requested to have a double shot of Crown.

The waitress said that they didn't serve Crown. I pointed at the bottle siting on the mantel and she said that was a private bottle that the owner was gifted by a customer friend and it was only there for show. At that time I offered him 3k THB but he declined to sell. 

I wonder if it is still there as it's been over 20 yrs since I last went to that restaurant. I'm guessing the restaurant is probably no longer let alone the bottle of Crown.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I'll ask my friend coming in July if he can buy 1 or 2 bottles. That was good advice. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I'll ask my friend coming in July if he can buy 1 or 2 bottles. That was good advice. 

• Thanks 1

I can't drink scotch and I've tried some of the 200$) bottle crap.  Just don't like the moss smoke taste.  But put the heavy mesquite smoke in my pork or beef all day.  Just opened some gentleman jack last night and yum like I recall.  I have lots of gear in crown bags it's yum too.  I also enjoy Pendleton and many other nice Canadian or Kentucky whiskeys here in USA.  Lots of micro distilleries opening in USA a local one is High West in park city. . 

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

The Scots don't make whiskey, that's the Irish. In Scotland it's simply whisky.The Scots don't make whiskey, that's the Irish. In Scotland it's simply whisky. Everything else is imitation. Source: my Scottish mother.

Could you please repeat that, I didn't quite understand the first time. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Crown Royal is my favorite. The only place I know where one could buy it is at Duty Free.

I am so happy that MY favourite is 101 Pipers and I can get it at any 7-11.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Both Seagrams V.O. and Crown Royal are much better than Canadian Club. I abhor the taste of Scotch Whisky or Whiskey.  Canadian Whiskey is so much smoother and better.  

Some single malts are extremely smooth and much better still. What's wrong with bourbon, anyway?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

What's wrong with bourbon, anyway?

I saw a documentary on bourbon production a few years back. To prepare the barrels(casks?) before putting the alcohol in they would take a blow torch and scorch the inside of the barrel to give the characteristic bourbon taste. Frankly, I don't think I need exposure to all those carcinogens created when scorching the wood. 

6 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I saw a documentary on bourbon production a few years back. To prepare the barrels(casks?) before putting the alcohol in they would take a blow torch and scorch the inside of the barrel to give the characteristic bourbon taste. Frankly, I don't think I need exposure to all those carcinogens created when scorching the wood. 

I'll bet you are first in line for the bacon at the all-you-can-eat buffet. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Straight............Flavoured? 

Apple Martini ... Stoli w/wee bit Apple Schnapps.  Surprisingly tasty.  Chickie friend was addicted to them, and turned me on to them.  We used to get wacked ... fun nights.

Those & Long Island Iced Teas were my demon alcohols when wanting to escape to world.  LIITs were pretty much all liquor also, considering the small amount/ratio of lemon & coke that was added.

10 hours ago, gargamon said:

Frankly, I don't think I need exposure to all those carcinogens created when scorching the wood. 

Yeah, but what do you know, after all. Oh--don't touch the Scotch either. Reminds me of our scaremongering over formaldehyde contaminating the beer.

Been studied, nothing to worry about. Worry about how much alcohol you're consuming instead and the rest of your lifestyle.

However, only a minority of the target PAH presented high toxicity, particularly carcinogenic potential. Because of the specific toasting process used, benzo[a]pyrene, the best-known, and one of the most dangerous, contaminants, was not significantly present in toasted barrel wood. In view of the PAH concentrations in wood and the low solubility of these compounds, their extraction in wine is apparently relatively slow and limited. Finally, comparing the overall PAH concentrations, and particularly those of the most toxic compounds, with estimated absorption from food or the environment, we found it was obvious that the contribution of toasted barrels to the total amount was extremely low and should not, therefore, be considered a major health concern.

--https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18001029/

Edited by BigStar