Florida’s Anti-Drag Bill Is So Extreme It Would Ban The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Hair the Musical

onthedarkside

On 4/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, Berkshire said:

I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show as a young student.  It didn't make me want to put on a dress, nor did it turn me gay.  Just sayin.....

Me too but I was already gay and got to meet Meatloaf!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 2

These fascist Republicans are much further to the right than the majority on this and so many other issues. Someday hopefully they will pay in elections. The culture wars things are cynical diversions for them as they have no interest in addressing substantive issues.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

No... it's that the schools are lacking in appropriate means to insure that what is presented to and taken in by young people is relevant to their ability to discern ALL aspects of it.

In whose opinion? Yours?

You would have done well in the 16th and 17th centuries as a Puritan. Deciding who should see what.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Me too but I was already gay and got to meet Meatloaf!

Off-topic:  I confess, I love that movie.  I've seen it more times than I can count.  It did not make me gay or let me score with Susan Sarandon (or Columbia or even Magenta!).  But it was a lot of fun.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure you can go to YouTube and enter the words in the search field. Just do it! 

I know that normal people have difficulties to believe what happens, I also had difficulties to believe it. But it seems it does happen.

Shock and awe is all you got and when confronted with truth you fold.

Not pointing finger but that is Trumps mode of operation. I am NOT accusing though. Just saying.

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Had the opportunity to play a game of trivial pursuit recently that was hosted by a young lady with a brand new diploma from our local high school... she could not even read coherently from the boxtop.

Was it in Thai?

20 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

There are public nude beaches in Florida, where parents can, and do, bring their children.

Strange that this hasn't been banned, I mean, you know, to "protect the children".

Errr, what is wrong with the human body? Are you saying that there is something horrible about it to "protect" children from?

23 hours ago, heybruce said:

It did not make me gay or let me score with Susan Sarandon (or Columbia or even Magenta!).  But it was a lot of fun.

I went home with a gal doing Magenta impersonation once, I guess that's as close as it gets.

I would be much more concerned about kids being near congress members in favor of 12 year olds marrying than I would with a drag queen reading a storybook.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Errr, what is wrong with the human body? Are you saying that there is something horrible about it to "protect" children from?

This song describes my body accurately nowadays and I surely wouldn't want to scare the children.

• 3 months later...

Florida judge clarified injunction blocking state law that targets drag shows

A federal judge said Wednesday that his order blocking a Florida law targeting drag shows doesn't just apply to the restaurant that brought the lawsuit challenging it but to other venues in the state, reiterating that the legislation championed by Gov. Ron DeSantis is likely unconstitutional.

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/florida-judge-clarified-injunction-blocking-state-law-that-targets-drag-shows/

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

U.S. District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk, a former attorney for an anti-LGBTQ conservative Christian legal organization, and a member of the Federalist Society, in his 26-page ruling dated Thursday cited the “About” page of Gays Against Groomers to claim, “it’s unclear how drag shows unmistakably communicate advocacy for LGBT rights.”

Judge Kacsmaryk, appointed by Donald Trump twice before finally assuming office in 2019, suggests the First Amendment does not provide for freedom of expression for drag shows, calls drag “sexualized conduct,” and says it is “more regulable” because “children are in the audience.”

https://www.rawstory.com/vulgar-and-lewd-trump-judge-cites-extremist-group-to-allow-drag-show-ban-2665720553/