Songkran celebrations turn sour: Over 100 lives lost, 1,000 injured in road accidents

snoop1130

6 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Tell that to the relatives of the people who died, maybe they are happy with your comment? I guess not as too many unessecary die every year and i do not want to be one of them. Happy Songkran!

Not sure if you understand my post.

I don't think telling Thai people they are bad drivers helped one little bit.

however an intelligent conversation about road safety might.

I see little sign that many people on this thread understand even the basics of road safety and I don't see any sign that you are offering comfort to the bereaved.

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

Not sure if you understand my post.

I don't think telling Thai people they are bad drivers helped one little bit.

however an intelligent conversation about road safety might.

I see little sign that many people on this thread understand even the basics of road safety and I don't see any sign that you are offering comfort to the bereaved.

Why should we care about road safety, apart from ours, and the bereaved, apart from ours?

If Thai people cared, they would be on the streets demanding change.

It's their problem to ignore, I have plenty of my own just jumping through hoops every 90 days to simply live a quiet retirement here. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Why should we care about road safety, apart from ours, and the bereaved, apart from ours?

If Thai people cared, they would be on the streets demanding change.

It's their problem to ignore, I have plenty of my own just jumping through hoops every 90 days to simply live a quiet retirement here. 

Most people care about the country they love in....I wonder what your neighbours make of you.

• Love It 1

On 4/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, kwilco said:

All these stories do is elicit the same old cliched comments and suggestions about Thai driving from the ASEAN NOW community.

As there has been no change for nearly 3 decades we have to assume that these comments are for the most part wrong.

You talk in riddles though some might use stronger words.  Do you have any constructive commentary?

While any death is tragic and to be avoided, as far as I can tell the number of 38 deaths per day is actually lower than the normal daily average.

A report on Sky News from a couple of years ago stated the average number of road accident deaths per day in Thailand was 62. Although in the article itself, it said there were around 20,000 deaths per year which is actually 54 deaths per day.

Last year, according to the article below, there were an average of 40 road traffic deaths per day.

14,737 lives lost on Thai roads in 2022

Whatever the true figure, the average death toll for these three days is still below it.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 4/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, snoop1130 said:

Yesterday, 437 traffic accidents took place, causing 49 deaths and 448 injuries.

But death occurring away from the accident site, either in the hospital or the ambulance aren't counted as traffic fatalities.

What's the real number of deaths?

27 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

But death occurring away from the accident site, either in the hospital or the ambulance aren't counted as traffic fatalities.

What's the real number of deaths?

Why care. We don't vote???? We are simply guests here.

On 4/14/2023 at 6:18 PM, Denim said:

Bound to be a worse this year than usual. Pent up desire to throw water at someone means they are really going for it this year. Tried to drive into town for medicine today at 5.00 pm. Had to turn around and go home. Huge traffic jam and water roadblocks where not allowed to pass without a drenching. Lots of gangs on motorcycles too so bound to be some fisticuffs later this evening.

Never mind. Early in the morning tomorrow should be easy. Won't leave home again until Monday.,

Strangely , people still wearing masks in Big C but nobody wearing one when throwing water. 

Not strange. People tend to wear masks more indoors than outdoors. Theory is that germs spread more easily in confined spaces. 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:08 PM, pixelaoffy said:

It is number 2 in the world as per head of the population...behind some African state 

Nope. I don't believe it. Thailand is always number 2 on that list, either behind Libya, Eritrea, Pakistan or some other pancake state. Do not believe the news.

23 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Nope. I don't believe it. Thailand is always number 2 on that list, either behind Libya, Eritrea, Pakistan or some other pancake state. Do not believe the news.

Could do better.........