COVID-19 cases will probably rise after Songkran festival

webfact

42 minutes ago, Seppius said:

No need for the lecture lol, I am firmly in the anti mask camp, can't remember the last time I wore one, however last time in Bangkok, maybe 8 months ago, everyone on the ST was masked up. What is it now 80/20? that's what I was asking

Sorry wasn't meant to be a lecture but sure you're right it comes across that way. My apologies. The fact is IMO that Thais are still wearing masks because no one has told them not to and they still fear Covid, now Omicron, because they simply do not know the reality of this virus. Stupid statements from the govt. like this just adds to a percieved threat/fear from an all up pretty mild virus keeping the populace in a sphere of ignorance. As for BTS/Srt it's still pretty much all Thais wearing masks for the reasons I just gave.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry wasn't meant to be a lecture but sure you're right it comes across that way. My apologies. The fact is IMO that Thais are still wearing masks because no one has told them not to and they still fear Covid, now Omicron, because they simply do not know the reality of this virus. Stupid statements from the govt. like this just adds to a percieved threat/fear from an all up pretty mild virus keeping the populace in a sphere of ignorance. As for BTS/Srt it's still pretty much all Thais wearing masks for the reasons I just gave.

I still wear a mask in shops, noooooooooo ploblem.

I see the UK is having another C19 episode, yeh, think I will carry on with my regime....:stoner:

7 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

Just stop with this covid  nonsense 

I totally agree but Thailand with its Covid-19 paranoia, it will go on and on and on - Thailand the hub of Covid-19???

For reference here in Cambodia (16 April 2023):

Today’s official daily new COVID case total (diagnosed by PCR test) was 0........The Kingdom recorded 0 new community and 0 new imported cases of the new variant........There are now 1 active COVID cases (diagnosed by PCR test) in The Kingdom.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501274210/no-change-in-cambodia-covid-total-5/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

In Bangkok this coming weekend, is it still mandatory/polite for masks on the Skytrain?

Not mandatory. Polite or conforming to being one of the sheeple is up to you. I, like many others, stopped mask wearing on the BTS a few months ago. Do expect to see about 90% wearing though. You won't get harrased or stared at for not wearing a mask.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Not mandatory. Polite or conforming to being one of the sheeple is up to you. I, like many others, stopped mask wearing on the BTS a few months ago. Do expect to see about 90% wearing though. You won't get harrased or stared at for not wearing a mask.

As you note, most passengers on BTS these days are following the BTS and MoPH's guidance to wear face masks when traveling on the system... I'd agree, probably 90% as you said are still wearing masks...  And the few that aren't typically appear to be western tourists, by and large.

Protect yourself and protect those around you... mask up when in close indoor quarters with others, which is exactly what being on a crowded BTS train is.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Face masks reduce the risk of spreading and contracting COVID... The better the mask, the greater the reduction in risk. Wearing a mask helps protects others around you from you, should you be infected, and helps reduce your risk of becoming infected.

Use Masks to Slow the Spread of COVID-19

"Wear a Mask to Protect Yourself and Others

Masking is a critical public health tool and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.

Wear the most protective mask you can that fits well and that you will wear consistently."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/masks.html

Of course the CDC would say this. They are still recommending 6 month old babies get vaccinated whereas Switzerland has stopped all vaccinations. You want a jab now in Switzerland you have to consult a doctor.  You have also linked a 2019 CDC article. Things have moved on quite a bit if you havent noticed. This is an interesting study from a well known teaching hospital in London. St George's Hospital London. Their study was undertaken in the hospital and the conclusion was wearing or not wearing masks showed no significant difference to the transmission of Omicron so the P value must have been >0.05.

Have a read. It is interesrting.

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/mask-wearing-hospitals-had-little-impact-covid-19-omicron-2023a100076l

"Masking is a critical public health tool and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask." Simply not true. Covid is airborne. A disposible surgical mask is pretty much the same as no mask at all.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Masks have played a key role in keeping us all safe throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. ... Many studies show that masks work, and they work best when everyone wears a high-quality one to protect each other. Masks are magnificent."

--Dr Lucky Tran is a scientist and public health communicator who works at Columbia University.... He holds a PhD in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/27/dont-believe-those-who-claim-science-proves-masks-dont-work

The following link is a CDC recap on the many studies that have been done showing the protective effects of face mask wearing:

"At least ten studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,47 a German city,48 two U.S. states,49, 50 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,51, 52 as well as both Canada53 and the U.S.54-56 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies51, 52 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.56 also demonstrated reductions in mortality."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As you note, most passengers on BTS these days are following the BTS and MoPH's guidance to wear face masks when traveling on the system... I'd agree, probably 90% as you said are still wearing masks...  And the few that aren't typically appear to be western tourists, by and large.

Protect yourself and protect those around you... mask up when in close indoor quarters with others, which is exactly what being on a crowded BTS train is.

But yet most worldwide airlines think it is safe enough not to wear on a 12 hour crowded flight, I will take my chances with no mask

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

"Dr Ben Patterson, from the St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in London and lead author. "That doesn't mean masks are worthless against Omicron," he said, "but their real-world benefit in isolation appears to be, at best, modest in a healthcare setting".

The authors acknowledged limitations of the study, including that it was an observational study so can't prove causation, staff adherence to the mask-wearing policy was not assessed, and that the researchers were unable to determine staff infection rates."

6 minutes ago, Seppius said:

But yet most worldwide airlines think it is safe enough not to wear on a 12 hour crowded flight, I will take my chances with no mask

International flight airline jets have HEPA air filtration systems for cabin air. BTS trains do not.

Also, while I'd certainly still wear a mask on a long, confined space airline flight.... the burden of doing so is certainly greater than wearing one for 5 or 10 minutes on a brief BTS trip.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Masks have played a key role in keeping us all safe throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. ... Many studies show that masks work, and they work best when everyone wears a high-quality one to protect each other. Masks are magnificent."

--Dr Lucky Tran is a scientist and public health communicator who works at Columbia University.... He holds a PhD in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/27/dont-believe-those-who-claim-science-proves-masks-dont-work

The following link is a CDC recap on the many studies that have been done showing the protective effects of face mask wearing:

"At least ten studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,47 a German city,48 two U.S. states,49, 50 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,51, 52 as well as both Canada53 and the U.S.54-56 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies51, 52 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.56 also demonstrated reductions in mortality."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Your 1st link seems more of an editorial/personal opinion and again the CDC link is from Dec 2021 and doesn't even mention Omicron. It was Delta focussed. As I have said things have moved on. Delta has gone. We are living in the age of Omicron which for the majority is a mild virus akin to a common cold. People died from Delta yes but people dying from Omicron is quite rare I would think. People dying with Omicron maybe not so rare due to the increadible infectious nature of the virus. Mask wearing now is just business not health as are the vaccinations.

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Mask wearing now is just business not health as are the vaccinations.

Science and the real world says you're wrong....

See the latest Thai COVID hospitalizations data and the US COVID deaths, hospitalizations and new cases data posted earlier in this thread.

This thread, after all, is supposed to be about the rising numbers of COVID hospitalizations in Thailand.... not a debate on face masks.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Dr Ben Patterson, from the St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in London and lead author. "That doesn't mean masks are worthless against Omicron," he said, "but their real-world benefit in isolation appears to be, at best, modest in a healthcare setting".

The authors acknowledged limitations of the study, including that it was an observational study so can't prove causation, staff adherence to the mask-wearing policy was not assessed, and that the researchers were unable to determine staff infection rates."

Indeed but you have to think to youself that a hospital setting is more confined. No real difference was shown in a confined setting. Tell me why a single occupent of a car wears a mask? Mask wearing in 711 etc is not mandatory. Why? We have got past the nastiness of Delta and it's time to move on. 

The authors alluded that with a reduction in the severity of COVID-19 disease, in later variants, the risk-benefit balance of masks had been "called into question".

During the first phase of the study (4 December 2021 to 1 June 2022) all staff and visitors were required to wear masks in both clinical and non-clinical areas of the hospital. In phase two of the study, at week 26 (2 June 2022 to 10 September 2022) the surgical mask-wearing policy was removed in the majority of wards (study group), while a subset of high-risk wards (including renal, haematology, and oncology wards, the medical admissions unit, and intensive care units) retained the mask obligation policy for staff (control group).

The hospital SARS-CoV-2 infection rate was adjusted for the underlying community infection rate identified by routine admission screening.

During a general community surge in SARS-CoV-2 infection in June 2022, removal of the mask policy was not associated with a statistically significant change in the rate of hospital-acquired SARS-CoV-2 infection in the study group, "with SARS-CoV-2 infection no higher than the rate when masks were obligatory".

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/mask-wearing-hospitals-had-little-impact-covid-19-omicron-2023a100076l

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Fine that's up to you but the masks don't work so what's your reasoning?

My reasoning is a bloke on here saying they don't work means sod all to me.

Plus, as far as I know I have not had C19 so far, and with a bit of luck and my regime I won't.......:intheclub:

• Thumbs Up 1

January 2023 from the WHO:

WHO updates COVID-19 guidelines on masks, treatments and patient care

Masks continue to be a key tool against COVID-19

"WHO continues to recommend the use of masks by the public in specific situations, and this update recommends their use irrespective of the local epidemiological situation, given the current spread of the COVID-19 globally. Masks are recommended following a recent exposure to COVID-19, when someone has or suspects they have COVID-19, when someone is at high-risk of severe COVID-19, and for anyone in a crowded, enclosed, or poorly ventilated space. Previously, WHO recommendations were based on the epidemiological situation."

Note their current advisory -- "for anyone in a crowded, enclosed, or poorly ventilated space."

https://www.who.int/news/item/13-01-2023-who-updates-covid-19-guidelines-on-masks--treatments-and-patient-care

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Correct, the locals are used to the know-it-all farangy's..............????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Science and the real world says you're wrong....

See the latest Thai COVID hospitalizations data and the US COVID deaths, hospitalizations and new cases data posted earlier in this thread.

This thread, after all, is supposed to be about the rising numbers of COVID hospitalizations in Thailand.... not a debate on face masks.

Well yes you are onto something here and it comes down to people being admitted for Omicron or people being admitted with Omicron. Science and real world evidence shows Omicron to be mild unlike Delta but way more infectious. Being that almost everyone has been exposed to Omicron and reinfection happens it is not beyond the bounds of common sense that more people being admitted to hospitals will show positive. I think it's call incidental. As for people being put on respirators this can only be because of underlying disease or as I have previously stated air pollution. Omicron is not a disease of the lungs. 

8 minutes ago, transam said:

My reasoning is a bloke on here saying they don't work means sod all to me.

Plus, as far as I know I have not had C19 so far, and with a bit of luck and my regime I won't.......:intheclub:

Friend of mine only new he had Omicron because a friend of his had it. He tested himself. He had ZERO symptoms. So he was asymptomatic which is part of why this virus is just so good at spreading. By the way he was a mask wearing person.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Friend of mine only new he had Omicron because a friend of his had it. He tested himself. He had ZERO symptoms. So he was asymptomatic which is part of why this virus is just so good at spreading. By the way he was a mask wearing person.

Good for him, but perhaps he didn't wash his hands at every opportunity, eh...........????

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry but the WHO has no credibility when it comes to covid.

Are you a doctor, scientist or something like that regarding the pandemic, because if you are not, the shed awaits......?   ????

• Thumbs Up 1

So will colds, flus, and any virus or bacteria that tends to spread around large groups of people throwing water.  But the media loves to stoke fear.  It's really getting old.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, connda said:

So will colds, flus, and any virus or bacteria that tends to spread around large groups of people throwing water.  But the media loves to stoke fear.  It's really getting old.

The thread is about Covid, not the other things folk get.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you a doctor, scientist or something like that regarding the pandemic, because if you are not, the shed awaits......?   ????

The WHO recommeded the continuation of international flights.The WHO was very slow to call this a pandemic. The who recommends children being vaccinated against omicroin. The WHO said vaccinations help stop the spread of covid. This is from the WHO as of March 28.

"The low priority group includes healthy children and adolescents aged 6 months to 17 years. Primary and booster doses are safe and effective in children and adolescents."

https://www.who.int/news/item/28-03-2023-sage-updates-covid-19-vaccination-guidance

Why? Why vaccinate? Omicron a mild virul infection even more so for the young.

Just now, dinsdale said:

The WHO recommeded the continuation of international flights.The WHO was very slow to call this a pandemic. The who recommends children being vaccinated against omicroin. The WHO said vaccinations help stop the spread of covid. This is from the WHO as of March 28.

"The low priority group includes healthy children and adolescents aged 6 months to 17 years. Primary and booster doses are safe and effective in children and adolescents."

https://www.who.int/news/item/28-03-2023-sage-updates-covid-19-vaccination-guidance

Why? Why vaccinate? Omicron a mild virul infection even more so for the young.

I haven't mentioned the W.H.O., I have mentioned me, and perhaps not having C19 because of my regime.

I asked you if you were a doctor, telling me not to wear a mask, so don't go off on a tangent..........????

1 minute ago, transam said:

I haven't mentioned the W.H.O., I have mentioned me, and perhaps not having C19 because of my regime.

I asked you if you were a doctor, telling me not to wear a mask, so don't go off on a tangent..........????

Indeed my mistake. That was @TallGuyJohninBKK. As for wearing a mask that's up to you of course. If you haven't been exposed to Omicron good luck to you. You would be one of a small number globally I would think. Again though it is important to remember that Covid can be asymptomatic so you wouldn't know if you've been exposed. If you have been exposed then you will have a level of natural immunity.

As for being a doctor read this to see what the health system in the US is doing in regards to mask mandates.

"Several health systems across Vermont, New Mexico, Minnesota, Virginia, Oregon, Utah and Michigan are the latest to announce reversal of masking policies, joining dozens of other hospitals and systems nationwide."

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/infection-control/more-hospitals-health-systems-begin-to-walk-back-mask-mandates.html