Thirteen injured as song thaew driver has seizure, hits motorcyclist and rams into parked bus in Bangkok

webfact

f065373984951f606dccdb8066038827368bab4fabeb7a5eb84deba1d259f8dd.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that Bung Kam police were called to Soi Serithai 29 after a collision in the Klong Kum area of Bangkok yesterday.

They found a public song thaew vehicle, an Isuzu D-Max, that had plowed into the back of a parked #8 bus.

The song thaew service was from The Mall Bangkapi to a housing estate in Bung Kum. The bus was travelling from Happyland to Saphan Phut.

A motorcyclist on a badly damaged Honda Click was under the wheels of the bus. Pramuan, 40 was rushed to hospital.

He is a Grab delivery rider.

706ea68f7b42448d696401f56bcf480eee8b5c70ae2142463ab59575338d95ce.jpg

Natheesaw, 65, was unconscious behind the wheel of the song thaew and had reportedly suffered a seizure.

Eleven passengers on the song thaew were taken to hospital with injuries.

1788b53243d46c8fea3586d3adf4bbf12b0e0940b24d4a1f828d3c9e4d71be5e.jpg

Pattanapong, 35, the driver of the bus, said that he had pulled over to count change before exchanging it at a 7-Eleven when the other vehicle went into his rear.

He was fined 500 baht for stopping in a restricted area.

Investigations continue.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

A seizure, I like it, it's better than the failed brakes excuse and nobody can prove him wrong.

Except that in any sensible country he would now lose his license (and so livelihood) until the cause of the seizure is understood and he can prove it is fully managed.

That of course wont happen here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

Except that in any sensible country he would now lose his license (and so livelihood) until the cause of the seizure is understood and he can prove it is fully managed.

You sound like Sheldon from 'The Big Bang Theory'

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:
5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

You sound like Sheldon from 'The Big Bang Theory'

You mean the simple words used by Woof999 seem so advanced to YOU that you think they could be the musings of a Theoretical Physicist ????  ????

Edited by richard_smith237

9 hours ago, Wiggy said:
10 hours ago, webfact said:

He was fined 500 baht for stopping in a restricted area.

That should teach him. 

The bus could well have prevented greater tragedy down the road if the ‘out of control songthaew’ careened into group of people, or off a bridge etc... 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean the simple words used by Woof999 seem so advanced to YOU that you think they could be the musings of a Theoretical Physicist ????  ????

Pedantic, as someone once said, 'accuracy is the priority of the firing squad', Sheldon could kill any remark made in jest by disassembling its entirety for the sake of an accurate representation of its component parts. Woof999 was of course correct in his appraisal of my jocular remarks on the health of the driver and the resultant consequences should he have really suffered a seizure ????

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Natheesaw, 65, was unconscious behind the wheel of the song thaew and had reportedly suffered a seizure.

Why is a 65 years old guy allowed to be a bus/taxi/songtaew driver?
Did he have a medical certificate?

44 minutes ago, Confuscious said:
12 hours ago, webfact said:

Why is a 65 years old guy allowed to be a bus/taxi/songtaew driver?
Did he have a medical certificate?

In 2015 there was a fatal bus accident in Coventry UK - the bus driver was 77 year old. 

There is no upper age limit for driving a public bus in the UK.....   I’m not saying this is right or wrong. 

But, why criticise Thailand in this case ? - the driver was not excessively old. 

Should drivers of public vehicles have regular medial examinations ? - I think they should, and that should be world wide - Does Thailand ?.... I’m not sure, but my bias suspects not !...

(in the UK at least, over 45 year old a Bus driver must take a medial exam every 5 years and over 65 year old they must take medial exam every year)

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In 2015 there was a fatal bus accident in Coventry UK - the bus driver was 77 year old. 

There is no upper age limit for driving a public bus in the UK.....   I’m not saying this is right or wrong. 

But, why criticise Thailand in this case ? - the driver was not excessively old. 

Should drivers of public vehicles have regular medial examinations ? - I think they should, and that should be world wide - Does Thailand ?.... I’m not sure, but my bias suspects not !...

(in the UK at least, over 45 year old a Bus driver must take a medial exam every 5 years and over 65 year old they must take medial exam every year)

In my country, a yearly "Medical Fit" must be presented for EVERY DRIVER (car, motorbike, etc.)
If the doctor does not seems you fit to drive a vehicle on public roads, your DL is annulated.

In my opinion, a "Medical Fit" advice should be required in every country for drivers who carry people (Bus, songtaew, etc.)

I would like to know what the insurance company says about this accident.
Will they pay to the people who are hurt?

Edited by Confuscious
As usual