Foreign army veteran rescued after Songkran water gun exacerbates PTSD

webfact

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Very true for many WW2 veterans.

I lived in a very well organized war veterans village nth of Sydney until a a couple of years back.

A number of the residents were quite young, veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Many of these vets had very serious issues fearing severe danger around every corner. Especially the Afghanistan vets.

I sat with many of these guys, and their wives and we talked slowly for hours, all aimed at getting them back closer to mainstream life with reduced PTSD issues, fears etc.

There was some success but their PTSD issues, panic, anxiety, lack of trust weren't gone.   

The wives always included because there was strong value in educating the wives about what the real combat situations looked like.  Also some meetings/discussions with parents for the same reason, always including many examples of what NOT to do/NOT to say at home.

I'm a Vietnam war vet. My parents alwas very caring and balanced.

I arrived home from VN, the same day my dad said 'on Friday night after work I'm taking you for a camping trip to shoot some roos and rabbits etc.' And he showed me the new rifle he had bought for me.

This was the very last thing I wanted to do.  In reality I desperately wanted to avoid:

- Night driving

- Camping with rifles in a small tent

- Handling guns / firing guns

- See more death.

I waited 24 hrs with lots of concerns going through my mind then I told my dad 'I don't wnt to go camping', and I explined why.

Dad quickly/deeply realized his plan was less than appropriate and he regreted what he had done and I never ever saw a gun/rifle in our house ever again. 

Your story is profound to me.  My father served in WW 2, Pacific Theater, in the U.S. Navy.  He had depression and lost a lot of weight.  When I was 16, my Dad killed himself at age 40, in 1966.  He used a rubber hose running from the car exhaust.  This was done in the stripper pits east of Evansville, Indiana.  I recommend watching this John Huston film made in 1946.  It is about one hour long:

John Huston does much of the narration.

I too served in Vietnam at the Headquarters and Headquarters company of the 1st Aviation Brigade.  I worked in the teletype communications center and later maintained codes and made the stenciled booklets of SOIs for use by the pilots of our light aircraft and helicopters.  I served at Long Binh 1/71 to 7/72.  I may have a mild form of PTSD.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Totally incorrect, my Dad and my uncles  never stopped talking about their war experiences. They built meaningful lives dedicated to raise their families.

Let's please understand there is no standard box that all war vets fit into. My uncles etc., never ever talked about it and as kids we were educated to not ask them questions about the war.

And the experiences of war vets can be vastly different according to the 'jobs' and units they belonged to. Some saw horrific incidents, some didn't quite so much. 

My own experiences include small children being blown to pieces and I was the section leader on a search and destroy mission. The village was very strongly suspected of aiding the viet cong communist army. After many hours of serious very methodical searching everywhere for villagers (because of geneva conventions protecting / non targeting of civilans etc.) and your in an area known to have active well trained communist ruthless special forces, and you have to get on with your orders, I gave the order to blow up the village.

After the village was destroyed we searched again as per orders, looking for any equipment, ammunition, packaged food etc., that might have been revealed. We discovered the badly dismembered burned bodies of several adults and children. Enough said.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

You have no idea what yo're talking about.

You cannot say "No soldier would ever be triggered by plastic water pistols squirting water, ..."

Soldiers are not robots all programmed to think the exact same way.  

you have no idea what you are talking about, I was a soldier

• Sad 2

58 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Let's please understand there is no standard box that all war vets fit into. My uncles etc., never ever talked about it and as kids we were educated to not ask them questions about the war.

And the experiences of war vets can be vastly different according to the 'jobs' and units they belonged to. Some saw horrific incidents, some didn't quite so much. 

My own experiences include small children being blown to pieces and I was the section leader on a search and destroy mission. The village was very strongly suspected of aiding the viet cong communist army. After many hours of serious very methodical searching everywhere for villagers (because of geneva conventions protecting / non targeting of civilans etc.) and your in an area known to have active well trained communist ruthless special forces, and you have to get on with your orders, I gave the order to blow up the village.

After the village was destroyed we searched again as per orders, looking for any equipment, ammunition, packaged food etc., that might have been revealed. We discovered the badly dismembered burned bodies of several adults and children. Enough said.  

No comment, Lt Calley.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not funny. Your unneeded comment is why so often these experiences are not shared and are carried hidden for decades.  

much is made of veterans and upto the 2nd world war I would agree that their cause was just and honourable.  But once we enter the realms of Vietnam, Iraqi and Afghanistan, my sympathies quickly evaporate because so much unwarranted sympathy is given to the imperialistic invaders and their "ptsd" and not to those that had their homeland attacked.  If said "soldier" was an active combatant in Asia then why would he return to the scene of the crime and expect anything less?  I have more respect for those who patrolled the streets of Belfast and made it home without ever killing innocents and theres not a single British soldier worth his salt who would lose the plot over multicoloured water pistols on a hot summers day

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1