Bangkok taxi driver condemned for ripping off foreign tourists

snoop1130

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a very significant difference between GRAB / Bolt and flagging down a conventional taxi. 

That difference is ‘dual accountability’ - When using a GRAB or BOLT, the passenger has a record of the car and drivers details, the driver has a record of the passengers details. 

This in itself is sufficient ‘incentive’ for both to behave, or rather greater inventive than anonymity for both not to behave like criminals. 

In effect - using GRAB or BOLT comes with a greater guarantee that a driver provides a professional level of service whereas flagging down a taxi comes with a greater chance that the driver is a lunatic. 

This difference makes a difference... 

the car however is just as likely to be "greasy". Also, Bolt is decidedly amateurish, and their maps are garbage. I have had trouble with routing on almost every bolt I have taken.  Drivers insist upon following their map rather than my instructions.

I generally take a taxi outside bangkok to one of the local wakeparks at least once a week. I have given up on bolt for that, indrive is a very last resort.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a very significant difference between GRAB / Bolt and flagging down a conventional taxi. 

That difference is ‘dual accountability’ - When using a GRAB or BOLT, the passenger has a record of the car and drivers details, the driver has a record of the passengers details. 

This in itself is sufficient ‘incentive’ for both to behave, or rather greater inventive than anonymity for both not to behave like criminals. 

In effect - using GRAB or BOLT comes with a greater guarantee that a driver provides a professional level of service whereas flagging down a taxi comes with a greater chance that the driver is a lunatic. 

You can report or give bad reviews to bad drivers. So it helps you.

5 hours ago, bignok said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can report or give bad reviews to bad drivers. So it helps you.

You mean like ‘dual accountability’ ???

Where you can leave bad review of the driver and he could also leave a bad review of you as a customer...   ????:whistling:????

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean like ‘dual accountability’ ???

Where you can leave bad review of the driver and he could also leave a bad review of you as a customer...   ????:whistling:????

I'm 6 stars

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Hopefully Bolt and others will drive these scammers out of business. 

I just don't get it where I live (nanny state) you have taxis (several companies) they all have meters there is no switching off meters and negotiate a price (wherever you want to go) Yes we have Uber and some other companies which are cheaper. I have used Taxis all my life (going to the airport) when I don't like to use my own car. I have used different taxi companies and they all charge the same, always using a meter, so why can't they do it in LOS? OK i know your answers already.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... But the flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, just to get a grab in 5-8 mins seems a bit excessive.... 

.... you may also have noticed the headline of this thread which is not in the Chiang Mai news section for the forum but the Bangkok News section.... "Bangkok Taxi driver..."  :whistling:

Excessive but practical, no? So you're up near Rangsit and want to go to Rama IV but no taxi will take you and you can't get a Bolt or don't want to risk a Grab cancellation? The solution is obvious. Get a cab (or Grab) to DMK (they all LOVE airport rides). Then catch a flight to [insert provincial airport of your choice here]. Then fly back to BKK and get a cab to Rama IV (see earlier comment on taxi airport ride love).

Sorted.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Excessive but practical, no? So you're up near Rangsit and want to go to Rama IV but no taxi will take you and you can't get a Bolt or don't want to risk a Grab cancellation? The solution is obvious. Get a cab (or Grab) to DMK (they all LOVE airport rides). Then catch a flight to [insert provincial airport of your choice here]. Then fly back to BKK and get a cab to Rama IV (see earlier comment on taxi airport ride love).

Sorted.

Now thats just being ridiculous... Why would you get a flight to a provincial airport and back to DMK when you could the return to Suvarnabumi Airport and then take the rail link ???...  ????????

10 hours ago, n00dle said:

you are aware that any taxi driver can use grab. correct? Unless they are private vehicles (the minority) the cars are  no different.

Yes,  the difference is that with the app being used you know what you are paying  before you agree for the ride. 

You do know that,  right?

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I haven't used a taxi for years. 

I always use a ride hailing app whenever available.   In my opinion it has always been a much better experience than the outdated hail a taxi and hope you aren't being ripped off feeling. 

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I haven't used a taxi for years. 

I always use a ride hailing app whenever available.   In my opinion it has always been a much better experience than the outdated hail a taxi and hope you aren't being ripped off feeling. 

GRAB & BOLT are my first choices, but they’re getting less and less reliable with regards to availability. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes,  the difference is that with the app being used you know what you are paying  before you agree for the ride. 

Theoretically, most of us also know how much we should be paying with a regular taxi.

The issue of course is taxi’s no longer using the meter so the cost of the journey we’d be familiar with i.e A >> B usually = 80 baht, becomes a negotiation. 

Like many (and yourself included going by your above post), we prefer the ride hailing Apps because dealing with the negotiation and attitudes of a lot of the taxi drivers is simply a hassle we can’t be bothered with anymore.... The Taxi drivers are shooting themselves in the foot which is why I guess they may be getting more desperate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys

What ever the crime, money in the hand will normally make it disappear. Putting young underpaid conscripts in a situation where they can be bribed is is a non starter, just makes things worse as the higher ups will want the bung.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

GRAB & BOLT are my first choices, but they’re getting less and less reliable with regards to availability. 

Not in Chiang Mai. Bangkok has terrible traffic so cheap prices not realistic. Cheap fixed price only works in light traffic.

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I certainly know that I will be paying more than the meter says if I use the app, and i only use the app when i am leaving home.  I rarely use grab when i am out unless there is no taxi traffic. 

I wont get into a taxi that doesn't use the meter and i know where i'm going, so i am very rarely surprised

Edited by n00dle

12 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I certainly know that I will be paying more than the meter says if I use the app, and i only use the app when i am leaving home.  I rarely use grab when i am out unless there is no taxi traffic. 

I wont get into a taxi that doesn't use the meter and i know where i'm going, so i am very rarely surprised

I think in your case and other locals will be fine. 

It's usually a tourist and unfortunately a taxi  driver with a bad agenda.

It's usually the over the top bad taxis that make the headlines. 

Personally I've never had a problem with a taxi in Bangkok.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:
On 4/17/2023 at 7:07 PM, bignok said:

Easy in Chiang Mai. Get one in 5 to 8 minutes.

Yep... But the flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, just to get a grab in 5-8 mins seems a bit excessive.... 

.... you may also have noticed the headline of this thread which is not in the Chiang Mai news section for the forum but the Bangkok News section.... "Bangkok Taxi driver..."  :whistling:

7 hours ago, bignok said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not in Chiang Mai. Bangkok has terrible traffic so cheap prices not realistic. Cheap fixed price only works in light traffic.

I can see how Geography must have been a huge struggle for you !!!!... ????