Finnish man accused by neighbours of insulting Thai people

snoop1130

38 minutes ago, JCauto said:

I'm not bragging so much as I am justifying my statements on why you're not gaining as much knowledge or understanding about the situation due to your lack of language. I know I'm good at languages already.

But I am happy to hear you're in a good place with people you can trust. That's not something a lot of older folk who ended up here have and it's very important. I had to look up OBX so I guess that's Coastal Carolina? It is also true in my experience that many Thai don't adapt so well to living in other countries whereas Cambodians do. But that's a different kettle of fish and discussion.

bro i'm only 50. i got here early.

your opinion regarding language is acceptable. you have an easier time navigating Thailand knowing the language. all good.

my point is you can live very well and happy in Thailand without knowing the language.

the number of retired farang in Thailand will more than double in the next 10 years. they should know you don't have to learn Thai to live comfortably, even up-country in the rice fields. you just need people you can trust (doesn't have to be a wife lol).

btw i know a dozen programming languages. they earn me a lot more than knowing Thai.

#

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Trust No One!

Especially not the woman in your bed, and you will never be disappointed.

No, you'll just be unhappy and paranoid. Also prone to conspiracy theory. You check out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

bro i'm only 50. i got here early.

your opinion regarding language is acceptable. you have an easier time navigating Thailand knowing the language. all good.

my point is you can live very well and happy in Thailand without knowing the language.

the number of retired farang in Thailand will more than double in the next 10 years. they should know you don't have to learn Thai to live comfortably, even up-country in the rice fields. you just need people you can trust (doesn't have to be a wife lol).

btw i know a dozen programming languages. they earn me a lot more than knowing Thai.

555! Sorry for prematurely aging you. And I don't dispute you can live well and happily without speaking Thai, my point only was that you'll have much less understanding about what's going on around you or about the Thai culture etc.

As to knowing programming, I'd worry more about AI than the Thai.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Trust No One!

Especially not the woman in your bed, and you will never be disappointed.

just curious, what's the plan? die alone in a hot bamboo hut? or let Bangkok Hospital siphon off the last of your savings as you drift away? go back and die in a hospital in the UK?

i mean, you gotta die sometime. trust can be built (and bought).

#

I faced similar situation when I was totally misquoted  and the lady with whom I was talking nearly called the police screaming at me and hurling accusations that I am insulting "THAI WOMEN"...HAPPY ENDING PREVAILED, UNEXPECTEDLY 555

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JCauto said:

555! Sorry for prematurely aging you. And I don't dispute you can live well and happily without speaking Thai, my point only was that you'll have much less understanding about what's going on around you or about the Thai culture etc.

As to knowing programming, I'd worry more about AI than the Thai.

my wife tells me all the time that i'm better off not knowing what people are saying about me. i feel bad that she has to hear the racist comments that come out of old Thai ladies. they do not like farang wives, especially hiso ones lol

#

Edited by roietfortress
extra S annoyed me

1 minute ago, roietfortress said:

my wife tells me all the time that i'm better off not knowing what people are saying about me. i feel bad that she has to hear the racist comments that comes out of old Thai ladies. they do not like farang wives, especially hiso ones lol

#

It's a bit counter to my experience, but then again I was living differently and have never been married to a local Thai woman and lived in their village. I can say having listened to many people talk about me over the years without them knowing I speak Thai, that seldom am I denigrated just for the hell of it. However, they will focus on something that makes you different (in my case that I am considerably taller than most Thai) and make jokes about that. I can handle this so it doesn't upset me and it's usually an advantage to have height or a big schnozz or whatever else they might be joking about.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:
3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If you don't like the Thai people, why do you live here? Personally, I find most Thais to be delightful, and I consider the smiles to be warm and sincere. 

Why would I have to like Thai people to live here?

I pay them to serve me, they don't need to like me, I don't need to like them.

Don't think I liked any of my bosses, them paying me was enough.

You clearly choose the option of being tolerated over being rejected and liked. 

Perhaps you tolerate rather than respect and like those around you. Meanwhile others enjoy mutual respectful relationships with those around them, rather than being tolerated if the money flows. 

We all find out and use what works for us to make our lives more comfortable - some pay for respect, others earn it, others don't need it or care for it...  

It would appear this ‘Finnish man’ may have demanded it [respect] without earning it and that won’t work anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JCauto said:

It's a bit counter to my experience, but then again I was living differently and have never been married to a local Thai woman and lived in their village. I can say having listened to many people talk about me over the years without them knowing I speak Thai, that seldom am I denigrated just for the hell of it. However, they will focus on something that makes you different (in my case that I am considerably taller than most Thai) and make jokes about that. I can handle this so it doesn't upset me and it's usually an advantage to have height or a big schnozz or whatever else they might be joking about.

yea that is obviously completely different to what i am saying lol

an old lady will straight and directly call my wife a ho for being married to farang. its nothing to do with height. 

#

• Like 1

After reading also the link, their are always 2 sides to a story but as the wife of the farang admitted this : “she suggested that Jarae’s loud speaking might have been misinterpreted as anger directed towards them." I would believe the story of the shop owner to be more trustworthy.. Also i do not think she pushed/requested the other thai people to beat up the guy, but that they themselves had enough of this guy extreme rude behavior combine that with some songkran alcohol and there you go.. The Fin his wife should have learned the guy some manners instead of playing the proud farang wife.. Now i hope she realizes that probably the entire village just does not like the both of them(most likely that is to positive thinking from my side…) You get what you deserve ; what comes around goes around…

on a side note i dont think they will be invited to any other party in their neighbour not just that shop, funny how the bad people always play victim… 

8 minutes ago, JCauto said:

This reminds of the one of the quotes.... "When we are young we worry about what everyone else think of us, as we mature we stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of us, after reaching old age we realise one else actually thought of us at all !!”

The point here is that it is my understanding (belief) that Thai’s don't actually think about us [Foreigners] at all until we bring attention to ourselves.

Thus, when going about our every day lives in a normal manner I find that we are treated in exactly the same manner with which Thai’s treat each other, that is to say we are treated with nothing more than a respectful indifference until we encourage another response (either positive or negative). 

In the vast majority of circumstances a person will draw interaction fitting of their attitudes and behaviour, especially in a country such as Thailand where there is a general degree of non-confrontationalism until ‘buttons get pushed’ and people are triggered. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2009 said:

One of the facets of "Thainess" that really fascinates me.

They call it "Land of Smiles", but forget that those 'smiles', unlike the genuine smiles in the West are often not a sign of happiness or  friendliness, but rather of social harmony, to do both, appease 'people higher up', and hide how serious the smiling person really feels. (I could quote from a standard 'culture shock' guide-book for Asia, where the author, basically, writes the same.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

yea that is obviously completely different to what i am saying lol

an old lady will straight and directly call my wife a ho for being married to farang. its nothing to do with height. 

#

Well, you ARE in Roi Et...and I don't and never did have a Thai wife. So yeah, it's different. Having said that, I have had confrontations with rude motorcycle taxi guys where my wife is from because I do understand what they say to her, so that's the same and it's not happening in Thailand but in a neighbouring country. It's misogyny in my opinion, and is a cultural thing in the region.

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm a little curious.  Have you ever witnessed an argument between a Thai and a foreigner where other Thais take the foreigner's side

Yes, i have, even complete strangers.. When you are polite and behave correct and get into problem and yes it helps if you speak thai.. and stay calm and let the others keep shouting and using the “impolite” thai language where you keep being polite, it happens alot… it all depends on your own attitude… playing the tourist or “i am better then you” yes then indeed you will never ever see this happen… 

its kinda sad how all people of a nationality get pushed into the same box.. but thats probably because of a persons own limited view and the people what they meet…  afraid my statement will not be liked by many but you live in your own world you can think what others think but that does not make it true,  

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It would be highly unusual for a group of Thai people to attack a foreigner. Extremely unusual. Might there be something else going on here? Some bad blood? 

It does help to be courteous and respectful to the locals. And a smile and good cheer goes a long ways here. 

Agree, IMHO Unlikely to be a spontaneous decision.
Surely there have been earlier misunderstandings.

Reminds me of an occasion where I was waiting for food to be cooked. There were four orders ahead of me, and one order after mine. After a few minutes number 6 in line started screaming <Where is my Food> <I come here all the time> <Why is my food not ready>.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The shop owner understood English? Or Finnish? 

She probably did this part: "

Jarae later came back to her shop and asked to buy a bottle of alcohol, but he only wanted to pay 60 baht instead of the 70 baht it cost. When she asked him to pay the full amount, he allegedly insulted her by saying…

“<deleted> you!”"

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus, when going about our every day lives in a normal manner I find that we are treated in exactly the same manner with which Thai’s treat each other, that is to say we are treated with nothing more than a respectful indifference until we encourage another response (either positive or negative). 

Does that explain double pricing for white people?

I think Thai people think of us as 'marks'.

Edited by BritManToo

7 hours ago, bignok said:

Nobody has ever tried to punch me. 

No,, couse we maiby big. ( i am ) 

But i starting to hate it in here, its a lot off criminals here, ordinary thais can explode for nothing an we as Karan are the blame..

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Did you mean race?

Well think that makes it more correct… ethnicity might even be better 55555. 
But i think you get my point. 
I don't dare to pull the racism card on this i don't wanna touch that… but generalizing it most definitely is. What kind of limited poorly thinking statement it is to say thai people think or do like this… its a opinion of somebodies own experience in his live (however poor and limited that might be)  

19 hours ago, bogs smith said:

this kind of thing is an all too common occurrence here sadly, especially in the tourist hot spots.

many local thais about who detest farang.

Obviously the fault of the farangs. Cannot blame the locals.

Ever experienced the loud mouthed foreigners on the skytrain? Disgusting... to state it politely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1