Finnish man accused by neighbours of insulting Thai people

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How do you know he was drunk?

Any CCTV, any mobile phone videos taken?

Thai villagers do random attacks all the time, usually to their own friends and family members.

It's in the news every day.

Quoted from the original article. True, false, who knows? But, it was a holiday and he is a Finn. LOL. 

She claimed that Aoy and Jarae wanted to join the party but she did not welcome them because Jarae had a history of getting out of control when he was drunk. She then turned off the music at the party to encourage them to go home.

Jarae later came back to her shop and asked to buy a bottle of alcohol, but he only wanted to pay 60 baht instead of the 70 baht it cost. When she asked him to pay the full amount, he allegedly insulted her by saying…

“<deleted> you!”

Oh said he shouted the same word back to Jarae in anger and chased him away from the shop. However, Jarae did not stop and shouted in front of her shop…

“Thailand buffalo! Thailand <deleted> you!”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Jarae later came back to her shop and asked to buy a bottle of alcohol, but he only wanted to pay 60 baht instead of the 70 baht it cost. When she asked him to pay the full amount, he allegedly insulted her by saying…

“<deleted> you!”

A Large Leo doesn't cost 70bht in any shop I've ever visited.

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you don't like the Thai people, why do you live here? Personally, I find most Thais to be delightful, and I consider the smiles to be warm and sincere. 

Why would I have to like Thai people to live here?

I pay them to serve me, they don't need to like me, I don't need to like them.

Don't think I liked any of my bosses, them paying me was enough.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

I got some news for you - you CAN become liked and accepted without overpaying or throwing your money around. But it does require some things such as speaking the local language.

You find it astonishing that local people treat foreigners badly because they don't speak their language after living there and being married to a local for many years? Back home, how well are long-term foreign residents who haven't learned to speak the local language able to get along? Do they get smiled at pleasantly by the local folk? Are they helped out graciously?

as i have told my wife many times, i refuse to learn Thai because i don't want to know what my MIL is babbling on about all day ????

ignorance is bliss. i'll keep smiling and overpaying by a whole dollar...

the point about foreigners in our home country is irrelevant. nowhere is like Thailand and no situation is comparable.

#

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roietfortress said:

as i have told my wife many times, i refuse to learn Thai because i don't want to know what my MIL is babbling on about all day ????

ignorance is bliss. i'll keep smiling and overpaying by a whole dollar...

the point about foreigners in our home country is irrelevant. nowhere is like Thailand and no situation is comparable.

#

To each his own. But then accept that you don't have the slightest idea about what is going on around you. Why are you writing on this forum if you know squat?

Edited by JCauto
One additional word deleted.
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What makes you think that inhibitions are not part of how someone truly is?  I don't think you understand what "truly" means.

"We've put a chemical into this person's brain which drastically changes how they think and behave.  This will show us how they truly are." This is an extremely illogical and paradoxical premise.

Alcohol shows you only what someone is like when they have consumed alcohol.  There is nothing "true" about this as it is not a normal state.  That's why it's called intoxication.

Alcohol also does more than lower inhibitions.

It lowers inhibitions so it makes it harder to fake stuff like being nice. So if you are a total <deleted> on alcohol then your just good at hiding it when you dont take it. As it says in your article it removes restrains on impulsive behaviour. Just means that the guy normally wants to do it but know he can't or should not. (AKA faking it) So internally he wants to bash someone his brain in but knows it has consequences but does not. When drinking that filter is gone. 

Now you have other people who are naturally nice and dont need their impulses controlled so they dont get aggressive when drinking because nice is their normal state without their body struggling to control impulses.

That is my take on it. 

Edited by robblok

39 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You are even making up the story that this Finn has a long history of offending these people before they finally choose to maul him.

That is exactly the impression the story gives.

Read it for yourself:

Aoy and Jarae wanted to join the party but she did not welcome them because Jarae had a history of getting out of control when he was drunk. She then turned off the music at the party to encourage them to go home.

I'm a black guy.  Yes, I would say happens alot here especially at some local places. Where I live, I have a white  friend who hails from the UK. He  always visit me with his two daughters because where he lives the locals there for some unknown reason always uses Thai derogatory slurs on him. It even get into some point where his wife brother knocks his door for money to buy  lao-kaoh.  I think it's always better to Keep a cool when engages with them as most of them lacks Social etiquettes. 

Edited by Joker Man
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

It lowers inhibitions so it makes it harder to fake stuff like being nice. So if you are a total <deleted> on alcohol then your just good at hiding it when you dont take it. As it says in your article it removes restrains on impulsive behaviour. Just means that the guy normally wants to do it but know he can't or should not. (AKA faking it) So internally he wants to bash someone his brain in but knows it has consequences but does not. When drinking that filter is gone. 

That's not really how inhibitions work.  You make it sound like anyone who is violent when drunk is a smouldering powder keg of psychopathic rage whenever they are sober and are just able to keep their emotions under control through reasoning (I.e. "I have an incredible urge to bash this person, but I won't because I might get in trouble, otherwise I definitely would."), but when they drink their hidden urge to attack people comes out.

It simply isn't like that.  If you actually read what I wrote, there are a lot more factors at play.  It's also incredibly common for people who do something stupid while they are drunk to truly regret it when they are sober.  Not in a "Damn, now they know there real me" way, but in a "What was I thinking?  I can't believe I acted in such a way.  I feel so remorseful".

If you actually look at what happens when people drink, there is a lot more going on than simply removal of inhibitions, and this does not actually work in the way that you suggest.

There are, of course, some broken people who will become violent when they are drunk, but there are also perfectly normal people who can become aggressive when drunk, or do any number of things that they would not normally do, and very much feel remorse for their actions once they are sober.

It simply isn't "the true you" when you are drunk.  It's you plus a behaviour altering drug, therefore not the true you.  That's the bottom line.

There are several ways that alcohol affects your body that can contribute to aggression:

Alcohol can narrow your attention and stop you seeing the big picture
You may miss social and environmental cues that help you to interpret situations rationally (known as ‘alcohol myopia’), and give less attention to the wider consequences of immediate actions.8,9 This means someone who’s drunk might ‘rise to the bait’ rather than thinking of the consequences, and become angry or violent, even over something they would normally shrug off.

The way you process information is affected by drinking alcohol
After drinking alcohol, you are more likely to misinterpret other people's behaviour.10 This could be the reason why drunken fights can start over little more than bumping into someone at a bar.

Alcohol supresses inhibition, making it harder to think straight
Drinking affects your brain chemistry. Small amounts of alcohol can cause initial feelings of relaxation, but what’s actually happening is that alcohol is suppressing activity in parts of the brain associated with inhibition.11 Any warning signals that may normally kick in (‘inhibition’) are less likely to work, and you may be more likely to find yourself in confrontational or even dangerous situations. The more you drink the higher the chance it can cause feelings of tension and anxiety (because of effects on brain chemicals including ‘GABA’).

2 minutes ago, JCauto said:

I don't believe that I have insulted you, I am simply pointing out that by not speaking the language you are missing out on the vast majority of knowledge you might otherwise accumulate from your time sitting around in your village. You may have trouble with the language (tones or not learning another language before), so it may not be your fault, so I am not blaming you for it. I'm just pointing out that you have practically no chance of knowing as much as someone who does. That's not an insult.

multi-lingual braggers is a thing with farang. congrats on learning the language. its not easy.

i know exactly as much as i need to know about the world around me, which has a very big wall around it and some big dogs. the dogs speak English (when i am holding treats).

it does help to have family and house staff around you that you trust. if i was here alone it would be a different story, but i wouldn't be here if my wife didn't want to settle here. we'd probably just live in our beach house in OBX. she didn't like it as much as Isaan.

#

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you're suggesting the Thai villagers (drunk at their SK party) weren't 'nice' and showed their true personalities during the attack?

I am suggesting that drunk people who are aggressive are normally aggressive too but have their impulses better under control when not drunk. Just means that those people are aggressive idiots who pretend to be nice.

I don't care if they are Thai or Farang. Aggressive drunk people are the scum of the earth regardless of nationality.

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you don't like the Thai people, why do you live here? Personally, I find most Thais to be delightful, and I consider the smiles to be warm and sincere. 

and yes I agree , some Thai people are nice and friendly.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That's not really how inhibitions work.  You make it sound like anyone who is violent when drunk is a smouldering powder keg of psychopathic rage whenever they are sober and are just able to keep their emotions under control through reasoning (I.e. "I have an incredible urge to bash this person, but I won't because I might get in trouble, otherwise I definitely would."), but when they drink their hidden urge to attack people comes out.

It simply isn't like that.  If you actually read what I wrote, there are a lot more factors at play.  It's also incredibly common for people who do something stupid while they are drunk to truly regret it when they are sober.  Not in a "Damn, now they know there real me" way, but in a "What was I thinking?  I can't believe I acted in such a way.  I feel so remorseful".

If you actually look at what happens when people drink, there is a lot more going on than simply removal of inhibitions, and this does not actually work in the way that you suggest.

There are, of course, some broken people who will become violent when they are drunk, but there are also perfectly normal people who can become aggressive when drunk, or do any number of things that they would not normally do, and very much feel remorse for their actions once they are sober.

It simply isn't "the true you" when you are drunk.  It's you plus a behaviour altering drug, therefore not the true you.  That's the bottom line.

I am talking about those broken people who always get aggressive when drunk Not someone who slips up once.

There is a a reasons for the saying " in vino veritas" . Alcohol just makes it harder to hide stuff and act. It shows more of the real you. 

If you read your own stuff you see that indeed it does more things but it removes barriers. Now those barriers are not needed for some people as they are just better by default. Alcohol just brings a lot of things out that are normally hidden. 

A person who is not violent by nature who misinterpret a cue and thinks someone is hitting on his gf will respond different then a person who is already an aggressive person who misinterprets those cues. (it all leads down to the default settings of a person). 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

multi-lingual braggers is a thing with farang. congrats on learning the language. its not easy.

i know exactly as much as i need to know about the world around me, which has a very big wall around it and some big dogs. the dogs speak English (when i am holding treats).

it does help to have family and house staff around you that you trust. if i was here alone it would be a different story, but i wouldn't be here if my wife didn't want to settle here. we'd probably just live in our beach house in OBX. she didn't like it as much as Isaan.

#

I'm not bragging so much as I am justifying my statements on why you're not gaining as much knowledge or understanding about the situation due to your lack of language. I know I'm good at languages already.

But I am happy to hear you're in a good place with people you can trust. That's not something a lot of older folk who ended up here have and it's very important. I had to look up OBX so I guess that's Coastal Carolina? It is also true in my experience that many Thai don't adapt so well to living in other countries whereas Cambodians do. But that's a different kettle of fish and discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am talking about those broken people who always get aggressive when drunk Not someone who slips up once.

There is a a reasons for the saying " in vino veritas" . Alcohol just makes it harder to hide stuff and act. It shows more of the real you. 

But alcohol also makes people act very much unlike "the real them".  It stimulates behaviour that they would not ordinarily engage in.  And not because they would do it normally but inhibitions stop them, but because alcohol changes how they act and how they think, making them do things that are very much not "the real them".

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you read your own stuff you see that indeed it does more things but it removes barriers. Now those barriers are not needed for some people as they are just better by default. Alcohol just brings a lot of things out that are normally hidden. 

A person who is not violent by nature who misinterpret a cue and thinks someone is hitting on his gf will respond different then a person who is already an aggressive person who misinterprets those cues. (it all leads down to the default settings of a person). 

So you must surely agree that alcohol is not some magical truth serum and is not guaranteed to show the real anyone?

If anyone is capable of doing things they would not normally do, nor have any secret drives to do, when intoxicated, then alcohol is not reliable as an indicator of "the true you".

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

I've certainly never known a bottle of beer to cost 70 baht in a mom n pop shop upcountry (or in Bangkok), or in 7eleven.

He got the farang price. He knew it.

He got a beating for opening his mouth.

story never said it was beer or what size if it was....alcohol is what it said so it could have been a cheap bottle of booze or ??......he got a beating for being a belligerent idiot that did not have the common sense to not return to a place where he obviously was not welcome and had already been asked to leave.....

17 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

But alcohol also makes people act very much unlike "the real them".  It stimulates behaviour that they would not ordinarily engage in.  And not because they would do it normally but inhibitions stop them, but because alcohol changes how they act and how they think, making them do things that are very much not "the real them".

So you must surely agree that alcohol is not some magical truth serum and is not guaranteed to show the real anyone?

If anyone is capable of doing things they would not normally do, nor have any secret drives to do, when intoxicated, then alcohol is not reliable as an indicator of "the true you".

First of i like our discussion I hope it does not get deleted.

I agree that its not some magical truth serum (mdma is closer to that). But it still reveals a lot of things about people. It is NOT guaranteed to show the real person always. But it can certainly help a lot. Most people always act the same when they drink. It just makes it harder for people to hide their true self. 

If you always get aggressive or become a total <deleted> when drinking that deep down that is who you are. If someone drinks once acts different then normal then it could be that is who they really are. One can only know if they do the same stuff a gain next time they are drunk. Alcohol does NOT change people it just brings out things that are normally hidden. 

Aggressive people get more aggressive, people who are nice dont turn aggressive (only those who fake their niceness). If you are always truly nice then you thinking that someone is hitting on your gf wont make you hit them. Now if your normally aggressive then it might. 

I am a bit confused what do you mean with 

If you mean they normally dont do it when sober.. then that does not mean a thing. If you mean they dont even do it when they are drunk then yes its not a reliable indicator. 

You got guys who always cheat on their GF's when drunk does that mean that is not their true self ?  I think it just means they dont do it normally as they are held back by inhibitions and social stuff but if it was ok to cheat they would. So their true self is that they are not really loyal.

6 minutes ago, pomchop said:

story never said it was beer or what size if it was....alcohol is what it said so it could have been a cheap bottle of booze or ??......he got a beating for being a belligerent idiot that did not have the common sense to not return to a place where he obviously was not welcome and had already been asked to leave.....

If you'd built a home in a Thai village 1M-2M bht, you'd be happy to walk away the house and your gf because the local shopkeeper didn't like you?

Best to live in a foreigner enclave and rent not buy IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

If you'd built a home in a Thai village 1M-2M bht, you'd be happy to walk away the house and your gf because the local shopkeeper didn't like you?

Best to live in a foreigner enclave an rent not buy IMHO.

if i had built a home in a thai village (never happen, but if...) i would make a concerted effort to avoid being a <deleted>