Washington set to become 10th state to ban assault weapons sales

onthedarkside

Looking at the full article, and the new law which the Governor will sign into law, it will only affect new gun sales.

• The bill won't stop people from owning the weapons if they already have them.
  • But it will ban new sales and distribution of the firearms, as well as manufacturing and importing them.
  • Exceptions will be made for police agencies and branches of the military.
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It doesn't add up, Hand guns are the biggest weapon used buy killers, even knives are more dangerous than assault weapons.

https://alexaanswers.amazon.ca/question/157l7xgwGaRaZVVnjCtGem

Agree ... and the Ruger Min 14 is not on the list, but uses the exact same round as the AR-15, and will accept high capacity mags.

Reading the 'fine print' elsewhere, not only the name on list, but the feature.

So if your Mini 14 doesn't have a 'folding stock', then possibly not banned ???? IF they simply redesign how it loads, as detachable mags will be banned.

All the firearms I had, my most powerful, Mauser 8mm would be legal, since no clip, no folding stock & proper length, but I could repetitively reload 5 round in 5 seconds, if wanting.   Along with another, that is barrel feed and held 10 ish rounds.

Just silly legislation. 

Yet does nothing to stop the criminal from accessing whatever they please.

How about a mandatory life sentence with no parole, for anyone, possessing, selling, using an illegal firearm.

That would be so much more practical ... but what do I know.

Surprisingly, I actually agree with the law ...

... yea, I said that ????

As nobody should need more the 5 round (top loading), no mag, to hunt or protect your home.

They do make speed loader, so the ability to load 5 or 6 more round in a rifle or revolver takes mere seconds.

But I do think, they need to simply enforce the laws they have on the books already, instead of the revolving prison doors.

Make the crime, not worth the time.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

While I understand people who are peaceful owners of guns for target shooting and hunting, any gun that can blow a child's head and limbs clean off is not required for the aforementioned activities.

Gun fans often say, it is the loonies that shoot innocents that are the problem and that is true. But who gave or sold those guns to loonies has never been answered. How can any country keep guns away from loonies?

Would you agree to an hour-long psychological exam before being allowed to own a gun? Should mentally-impaired folk justify their failure to pass a psychological test by standing by their constitutionally amended rights?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Purdey said:

While I understand people who are peaceful owners of guns for target shooting and hunting, any gun that can blow a child's head and limbs clean off is not required for the aforementioned activities.

Next time you go hunting for deer, try using a 22 short.  Then again, I guess you could shoot 20 or 30 times, then track it down & cut it's throat.

You know, the humane way to hunt ... ????

Same way with home protection, use that 22 short ... ????

Some people with NO firearm knowledge, really shouldn't post.

"How can any country keep guns away from loonies?"

You can't .... that's why some folks prefer an equal playing field.

Hence the problem of keeping firearms away from law abiding folks.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Next time you go hunting for deer, try using a 22 short.  Then again, I guess you could shoot 20 or 30 times, then track it down & cut it's throat.

Several states already have laws against using automatic weapons, including the AR-15, for hunting.

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Several states already have laws against using automatic weapons, including the AR-15, for hunting.

Please stop calling them automatic weapons ... it sound silly and implies much ignorance.

Different states have different hunting rules & seasons, and what can or can not be used.  Not much difference if you shoot 1 round at a time, and reload, or have a mag of 5.

Though if hunting, you'll only need or get off 1 round.  One could guess, it's so idiots don't try to keep shooting at a moving target.   Maybe a hunter can chime in to clarify, as I am not.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thank you for that! I anticipate further review by higher courts !

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The majority of AR-15/assault rifle owners don't buy them for hunting though so not sure what your point is.

And you would know that how ?

The .223 is a popular round for hunting, and varmint shooting on the ranch.  The Ruger Mini 14 was advertised originally as a 'ranch' rifle.

Will agree, many do buy the AR-15 for their ego, since it gets so much press, and looks military.   Frankly I think it's overrated & extremely overpriced.  

Pretty easy to accessorize,  if that's what you're into, but can also do that with many, again, such as the Mini-14.   And that comes in SS ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Did the Founding Fathers shoot AR15s for hunting? 

The fact is, you don't have a level playing field as loonies will shoot you before you can draw.

Actually they, America Flintlocks for hunting used 30, 45, 50 & 55 caliber ball.   Not something you want to get hit by.

And yet, we read about loonies stopped, before & during a shooting by law abiding, firearm carrying folks ... go figure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And you would know that how ?

The .223 is a popular round for hunting, and varmint shooting on the ranch.  The Ruger Mini 14 was advertised originally as a 'ranch' rifle.

Will agree, many do buy the AR-15 for their ego, since it gets so much press, and looks military.   Frankly I think it's overrated & extremely overpriced.  

Pretty easy to accessorize,  if that's what you're into, but can also do that with many, again, such as the Mini-14.   And that comes in SS ????

Because of the data:

Self-defense was the most popular reason AR-15 owners in the poll gave for buying the gun. Around one-third listed it as the main reason for ownership, but nearly two-thirds said that it was “a major reason” for purchasing the rifle.

image.png.3f0ae7e67c99956b55e0143f74b78be1.png

image.png.9c20baa3a5c56cea97f9228242bcac76.png

https://thereload.com/poll-one-in-twenty-americans-own-an-ar-15/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/documents/41d170dc-1838-4772-a4e4-29d268264e12.pdf?itid=lk_inline_manual_2

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because of the data:

Self-defense was the most popular reason AR-15 owners in the poll gave for buying the gun. Around one-third listed it as the main reason for ownership, but nearly two-thirds said that it was “a major reason” for purchasing the rifle.

image.png.3f0ae7e67c99956b55e0143f74b78be1.png

image.png.9c20baa3a5c56cea97f9228242bcac76.png

https://thereload.com/poll-one-in-twenty-americans-own-an-ar-15/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/documents/41d170dc-1838-4772-a4e4-29d268264e12.pdf?itid=lk_inline_manual_2

Seriously ... ????

"sample of 2,104 gun owners, including 399 AR-15-style rifle owners"

Next time they might want to ask the folks in Wisconsin, with over four million people with registered hunting licenses, tags, permits, and stamps (2021).

Also, wouldn't the #1 use be 'self defense', since simply there 365 days a year.   Those that hunt (legally), only get a week or 2 in some states.  

So if answering a poll, what would come to someone's mind first as an answer.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes seriously a sample size that matched previously with polls from previous estimates from The National Shooting Sports Foundation and the National Firearms Survey.

Do you really need explaining how Ipsos poll's work

Do you have anything to counter it aside from "I don't care"

Fink he maybe one of those USA frauditors, that go round shouting about their amendment rights, regardless of the implications.............????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

All the people (gun owners) I knew, not 1 owned an AR-15, or anything like it.

They were obviously not one of the 6 percent of Americans who do own an AR-15, about 1 in 20.

From your wiki. 

"Many hunters prefer using AR-15 style rifles because of their versatility, accuracy, wide variety of available features, and wide variety of calibers"

So that "many hunters" is actually a tiny minority of AR-15 owners.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

Banned in 10 of the obviously un-United States. So i guess they'll just have to cross over the State border to buy where there's no ban. Maybe they need to set up custom checks at every State border.

I mean, come on! What is the point of one state banning and another not? Really!