Bomb attack in southern Thailand injures 8 police officers

webfact

image.jpeg

by leah

Eight police officers from Sai Buri Police Station in Pattani province, southern Thailand, were injured in a bomb attack while on patrol last night. Two police vehicles were damaged.

Before the incident, 11 officers went out on patrol in two pick-up trucks in Sai Buri district. Assailants detonated a hidden bomb as the officers drove along the Ban Pa Thung – Bang Kao Road in Bang Khao subdistrict at 10.45pm. The assailants fled the scene.

One officer was injured by shrapnel and seven others suffered tinnitus and tight chests as a result of the explosion. All were taken to Crown Prince Sai Buri Hospital in Pattani for treatment.

The injured include Pol. Capt. Kittikhun Pongpetch, Pol. Snr. Sgt. Maj. Anon Wanthong, Pol. Sgt. Teeranat Pinnukit, Pol. Cpl. Sukhum Laichan, Pol. Cpl. Sanya Makmool, and Pol. Cpl. Sangha Cheecho, who sustained a wound on his elbow.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/south/insurgency/bomb-attack-in-southern-thailand-injures-8-police-officers

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Thailand has bought hundreds of armoured vehicles but chooses to send it's police out on patrol in a war zone in pickups. Callous disregard of human life by those in charge for those serving their country.

Do you really believe that the armoured vehicles actually work?

It is a bit like the famous GT200 remote substance detectors or the dirigibles that the army bought.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

So the 9/11 highjackers and the Boston marathon bombers to name just 2 attacks were freedom fighters were they?

It obviously depends on your point of view, as I said "one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter", clearly the reverse holds true "one person's freedom fighter is another's terrorist".

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Thailand has bought hundreds of armoured vehicles but chooses to send it's police out on patrol in a war zone in pickups. Callous disregard of human life by those in charge for those serving their country.

Apparently you have no idea what an actual "war zone" looks like... 

27 minutes ago, Stocky said:

One person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.

So... Do you believe that Thai Muslims are so severely discriminated against, to the point of needing to "fight" for their "freedom"? Common bro ????????????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

So... Do you believe that Thai Muslims are so severely discriminated against, to the point of needing to "fight" for their "freedom"? Common bro ????????????

My position is that violence begets violence, the Thai government needs to reach a negotiated settlement. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Why the confused smilies?

Over 20 years of military action have failed to put down the southern insurgency. Perhaps it's time to have a serious go at a negotiated settlement. I don't support the use of violence, but understand the reasons why a minority have resorted to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Why the confused smilies?

Over 20 years of military action have failed to put down the southern insurgency. Perhaps it's time to have a serious go at a negotiated settlement. I don't support the use of violence, but understand the reasons why a minority have resorted to it.

"Put down"... Interesting phrasing. Living in the South I have yet to see a concerted effort to "put down" anything. Mostly I have seen atempts to maintain civilized order. 

Do you believe every "minority" needs to "fight" for "freedom" whether repressed or not? 

Edited by mikebike

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Yes freedom for child marriages, death for religious slander, banning female learning, enforced dressed code for women, murder of gays, street beatings, beheadings.......................................

There is no such thing as a Muslim freedom fighter when they enforce their religion on others - even their own

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Murder isn't freedom. These people aren't held in jails. They walk around eating halal food. They build mosques. If a separate country was formed it would be a small dud country. The attackers are mentally ill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

"Put down"... Interesting phrasing. Living in the South I have yet to see a concerted effort to "put down" anything. Mostly I have seen atempts to maintain civilized order. 

Do you believe every "minority" needs to "fight" for "freedom" whether repressed or not? 

Visited the south. Strange place. Much prefer anywhere north of Phuket. Phattalung people were mostly friendly but what a strange town.

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I suspect the Pattani Muslim community isn't very upset with this attack.

They can't eat Thai food because it harem, they can't have a girlfriends, they are not allowed to wear bright colors and whistling summons the devil.  I think Muslims are always upset constantly everyday.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:23 PM, bignok said:

Visited the south. Strange place. Much prefer anywhere north of Phuket. Phattalung people were mostly friendly but what a strange town.

Very deep thoughts of you.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:43 PM, markclover said:

They can't eat Thai food because it harem, they can't have a girlfriends, they are not allowed to wear bright colors and whistling summons the devil.  I think Muslims are always upset constantly everyday.

Muslims certainly eat Thai food. Halal, yes, but still the same phad kraphao and tom yum and more from up north.

And the ladies dress very colorfully. It ain't Saudi Arabia.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Stocky said:

It obviously depends on your point of view, as I said "one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter", clearly the reverse holds true "one person's freedom fighter is another's terrorist".

Taking out legitimate targets (military / government) might be construed as freedom fighting.

Letting bombs off and flying planes into buildings killing members of the public indiscriminately is mass murder, committed by evil low-lifes. 

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Taking out legitimate targets (military / government) might be construed as freedom fighting.

Letting bombs off and flying planes into buildings killing members of the public indiscriminately is mass murder, committed by evil low-lifes. 

I wouldn't disagree.