Thailand’s Som Tam voted 6th best salad in the world

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Foexie said:

A yummy poo pla rha with around 15 chilies for me ????

i did 8 chilis once..................................ONCE!    lesson learned

i agree somtam is my fav thai food BUT has to be made the way i like it......all depends on WHO makes your food......happens to be my line of work as well

same goes for massage....happy or regular! ????

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

you've obviously never tried Bulgarian food. it's excellent. 

It's quite possible. My point is not that the food may not be good. My point is that few people in the world know Bulgarian or Serbian food. These countries are small and are not popular touristic destinations. It's very strange that they come up in the top ten ranking. It suggests either a strong unbalance in the composition of the sample of respondents, or a flawed poll.

12 hours ago, bananafish said:

I've had it from vegetarian restaurants. They must just use soy sauce or something instead of fish sauce. 

I like fish sauce, but I'm not a fan of the dried shrimp or whatever it is in som tam Thai. 

ok, wonder what they use?

maybe like you said soy sauce.

anyone know ?

17 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

I actually like to eat Larb with grileld pork istead of minced pork.  it's my new favirote style of larb. You should most certainly give it a try if you haven't alrwady done so?  
i 100% agree with you about eating larb with sticky rice. i've also  tried eating it with plain rice and it just isn't the same! lol 
Nope i've never tried  "Goy" before. I'm  certainly not scared to at least give it a try! 

I think the grilled version is called   "larb tort"  as you say it's also delicious !  and Larb Ped (duck) is also well worth a try     

As regards "Goy" which I think is sometimes called   "Larb leuat"   one needs to be a little bit careful, firstly make sure they are offering beef,  (Goy Neua) as raw pork or chicken is obviously not recommended although I have been offered that a few times at wedding / funeral celebrations here in Issan! (naturally i politely declined)

Also, as it's not generally available in many "restaurants" and some of the , mainly roadside, places that sell it can look a little bit hygienically  "dubious" shall we say, I've never had any issues, but to be honest 80% of the time I eat it at home. 

The "pia" , an optional addition to Goy that  I referred to is often supplied free when buying beef at the roadside, (in the same way that they often include a bit of blood) it is a pale green / yellow liquid usually contained in a bit of tied off intestine, it adds a slightly bitter taste, It is often necessary to specifically ask for it in restaurants as a "farang", because  the locals for some reason don't expect that foreigners would eat it, but seem genuinely delighted when we do !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As regards "Goy" which I think is sometimes called   "Larb leuat"  

"Goy" is prepared in a slightly different way to "larb". "Goy khua" is a good option if you don't want the 'fresh' variety. 

On 4/21/2023 at 5:54 AM, Celsius said:

Most Thai food (sold in Thailand) is garbage, but people won't admit it.....because Instagram

So what do you eat here on a day to day basis, ?  KFC , Mcdonalds, and 7/11 sandwiches ?  that would be the very definition of garbage, regardless of instagram

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

"Goy" is prepared in a slightly different way to "larb". "Goy khua" is a good option if you don't want the 'fresh' variety. 

I think you are right , For starters  I think there's a bit more blood in Larb Luat.  Not come across "Goy khua" before, probably as always ask for the raw variety but i might just give it a try next time.

On the same track "neua daet deeow"  also very nice with a cold beer

3 hours ago, quake said:

ok, wonder what they use?

maybe like you said soy sauce.

anyone know ?

I don't think soy sauce could be used very successfully  as a replacement for Pla ra !   or even as a substitute for nam pla if that's what you actually  meant,  even though they are both salty there is a significant difference

15 hours ago, candide said:

After reading that the worldwide top ten ranking includes 2 Bulgarian salads and one Serbian salad, I surely have no doubt about the representativeness of the sample of respondents! ????

The salads are very popular dishes in the Mediterranean countries and the Balkans. If you allege that too many Serbians and Bulgarians were represented in the survey how would you explain why Som Tam is there? Pattaya flooded with Serbians? Hmm some options probably just don't exist, I've never heard or seen in a menu something like "English salad".

Personally I think the Middle East is underrepresented, I would put the Lebanese tabouli in the top 5.

8 hours ago, candide said:

It's quite possible. My point is not that the food may not be good. My point is that few people in the world know Bulgarian or Serbian food. These countries are small and are not popular touristic destinations. It's very strange that they come up in the top ten ranking. It suggests either a strong unbalance in the composition of the sample of respondents, or a flawed poll.

..or whoever compiled it is Serbian or Bulgarian 

Edited by VinnieK

On 4/21/2023 at 4:54 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Do you think this Bala that they make from fermented fish has the Thai word for Fish ‘Pla’ in it ?????
…. Perhaps a slim chance, eh ? ????

น้ำปลาร้า Naam Pla Ra, Fermented Fish Sauce.

PaRa Is Paracetamol.

Bara is total Nonsense